It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women gamers have more sex, study finds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I am about to stun you. I hope you are prepared. For this will be like being tased, bro'. Gamers, apparently, are no longer teenage boys with growing pains. No, according to a study performed by Harris Interactive at the behest of Gamehouse--which seems to be a site where you can, well, game--more than half of online gamers are actually female. Should you still be breathing, might I turn your attention to some further results of this analysis of more than 2,000 adults. Women gamers have more sex than women non-gamers. Yes, by the vast margin of 5 percent (57 versus 52.) Furthermore, these sexualized female online gamers actually have sex more often than sexualized non-gamers. (38 percent have sex at least once a week, beating down the non-gamers' 34 percent.)
CNet article (source)

Well, I don't know about the sex part but I have been playing games online for a fairly long time now and I'm in full agreement that it has done nothing harmful to my relationships. My kids and I used to sit side by side and play online together. Unfortunately, we only have one computer that can handle games anymore, but we all still play regularly. We all have healthy social lives and three of the four of us are female. Shocking, I know.

No one believed that I was female years ago when I was staff on one of my favorite game sites. They believed even less that I was "old". lol I'm still seldom believed when I go to a new game. It takes a while.

Just goes to show though. Don't assume so much, guys.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Im not supprised by this actually, after all those that choose to play mmo games enjoy social interaction, wheather it be bashing a make believe monster on the head or chatting away about the weather in the part of the world they live in.

As a social person they will be more likly to get what they want or need from people, better than those who are not so socially aligned

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
OK so your a female gamer, How much sex do you have?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think that women gamers possibly have a little bit more testosterone in their systems than a female non-gamer. You can see if you have had more testosterone exposure by checking your fingers.

If your ring fingers are longer than your index fingers, you may have a bit more testosterone than a female who's index and ring fingers are the same length. This also holds true for males, by the way. Both sexes have testosterone and estrogen in their systems, it's a matter of ratio.

More testosterone means more interest in sex.

No worries. I have the little extra bit of testosterone, and I am completely hetero and have had two children. I also enjoy video games and am very competitive, which is traditionally a "male" trait.

Thank goodness we are not all the same, what a boring world that would be!!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Im not supprised by this actually, after all those that choose to play mmo games enjoy social interaction, wheather it be bashing a make believe monster on the head or chatting away about the weather in the part of the world they live in.

As a social person they will be more likly to get what they want or need from people, better than those who are not so socially aligned

But the survey actually shows that only 16% of women do it for social purposes.

The top reasons for women playing are:

Relieve Stress = 61%
Alleviate Boredom = 58%
Mental Break = 58%

All of the above would be reasons for women to also turn to sex more if these are the main reasons for playing in the first place (according to the survey).

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

edit on 19-11-2011 by Deetermined because: duplicate error

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
lol I'm a female gamer and I haven't had it in 10 years. What a bunch of BS.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I think that women gamers possibly have a little bit more testosterone in their systems than a female non-gamer. You can see if you have had more testosterone exposure by checking your fingers.

If your ring fingers are longer than your index fingers, you may have a bit more testosterone than a female who's index and ring fingers are the same length. This also holds true for males, by the way. Both sexes have testosterone and estrogen in their systems, it's a matter of ratio.

More testosterone means more interest in sex.

That only applies to testosterone while the fetus is in the womb. Their is no correlation to that and testosterone during adolescence or in adult hood.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Gamers in general aren't all social.But If I was to make an estimate I would say about 50% of gamers play to be social. The other 50% just play because it's fun and because there is nothing else to do. Although the MMO market is huge, it isn't as bustling as it was back when the top games were WoW, Maplestory and Perfect World. Now gamers are more geared towards FPSs -- most likely because they just want to have fun and...alleviate stress.

Again, those are just my statistics to help you visualize what it's like when I see it. Seeing how virtually everyone attending classes plays either Call of Duty or Battlefield, and once the guys start talking about the girls jump in because their brother has a PS3 or an Xbox 360 too, I can see why those stats would be likely. Gaming is fully intergrated in American lifestyle.

Now if you're a Korean...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If I could just get my Girlfriend play Modern Warfare 3 with me............

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I like nothing better than having a female on our team,

kicking the crap out of the other team.

Of course, I b!+@# the loudest when she's on the other side and I'm bleeding out...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

My ring- and index fingers are precisely the same length. My other hobbies are cooking, baking, sewing, qigong, meditation, cake- and cookie decoration, reading (but not trash novels of any form) horticulture, and I just love cleaning! Very masculine stuff there.
However, I also paint and plaster, I can tile a bathroom rather nicely, I can fix just about anything and I'm a damn fine driver. And I have been gaming for longer than I care to admit. I'm not in the least a fan of sport or tv or fashion and you'll never see me in high heels. I do wear mostly skirts and dresses though. I will go on record here also with the statement that I am 100% heterosexual and 0% homophobic. Categorize me!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Could be that moniker you're using, luv. "Manhater" isn't gonna bring them around too rapidly. Might think about what it could be....

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You said, "Well, I don't know about the sex part '' ..and then talked about... "kids" ...
Ummm... hello? ?? !

I am just picking on ya
in jest.

Hey, this is news to me. Appreciate it!
Gonna get my spouse to start playing some ''games'' with me... I 'll keep you posted !

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

My kids are adults.

What I meant by that clause was that I couldn't say whether gaming has affected my sex life. I'm older than the Internet, baby. My father was one of those chaps who was creating the very first computer chess programs. That was a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

You made me laugh @ older than the internet!

I was only teasing you ...I like to do that when I can. Honestly, there was no need to feel you had to defend yourself. but Gotta love ya. Guess I'd have to reply to this too, if me, though!

Anywhooo, thanks for the heads up re the ''gamin" *G*.
Heck you're never too old to get your ''freak'' on
, unless you are a man that is - but hey, they have all kinds of things for that, eh?

Gonna see if there is any truth to this! lol
Now where is my spouse? Where are my games?!
lolol

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I wasn't defending myself, sweetz. My sexuality isn't at issue here. I was just giving a little further info. Who's to say which of that 50-ish percentile I fall in to? But that's not the point at all. My point was actually more that women are online and gaming! Guys just never believe it. They all think they are 14- to 38-year-old virgins who like to talk about what they would do if they could ever actually speak to a girl. lol They never actually understand that pretty often they are talking to girls - online! Everyone just assumes that anyone who says they are female is really a 67-year-old pedo truck driver with a hairy back and an ear-hair comb-over. LOL What are you going to do until guys realize that there really is a female presence online and has been for some time now?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Good points you are making.

OK Guys, No more aSSUMptions. It's not always another guy you may be playing with. lol , that kinda sounds funny.

I , for one, have always acknowledged that gals ALSO like gaming. Truly, I get your point. Hopefully, everyone else will

I have to add that I've done a little investigation in my lifetime. I must say no one can ever really determine which gender one may be on the other end. There are conners in this ole world and sometimes folk just want to create a different identity. Just remember, anyone can be who they WANT to be , either sex, over the internet. Some people thrive this way.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So is it safe to say guy gamers don't have much sex, so this just nullifys the theory.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Charmer. You get lots though, doncha?
I'll bet you don't even game.

And it's "nullifies". Remember that "y" turns to "ies". Not too hard, is it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join