It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Euthanasia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Many of you here have gone through this, some may feel guilty or sad and that's normal. However, we took on the responsibility of this the day we decided to bring them into our lives.

I have found This web site, which has helped me greatly to better understand the whole process. Even though my dog is 9 about to be 10 and he's healthy I know that eventually one day all living things have to die even us, and I feel that we as pet owners should be ready to face this decision when that unfortunate time comes.

You have to put it's peace ahead of yours. It trusts you to make the best decision.

If, on the other hand, I can look honestly and bravely at the situation and admit that he, with none of the fear or sadness that cripples me, would choose instead to rest, then my obligation is clear. Because he needs to know in his giant heart, beyond any doubt, that I will have the courage to make the hard decisions on his behalf, that I will always put his peace before my own, and that I am able to love him as unselfishly as he has loved me.

After many years, and so very many loved ones now living on joyously in their forever home in my heart, this is the view I take. As my veterinarian, who is a good and loving friend, injects my precious one with that freedom elixir, I always place my hand on top of his hand that holds the syringe. He has chosen a life of healing animals and I know how terribly hard it is for him to give up on one. So I want to shoulder that burden with him so he's not alone. The law of my state says the veterinarian is the one licensed to administer the shot, not me. But a much higher law says this is my ultimate gift to my dog and the responsibility that I undertook on the day I welcomed that dog into my life forever.

Source

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

You are so right,they look to us for their wellbeing and needs and their love is so unconditional that it is truly humbling,in the event of that dreaded day arriving we do have to put their needs first and not put them through any unneccessary pain or suffering because we do not have the courage to let them go peacefully,but as your quoted post reminds us,they have their forever home in our hearts.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I can't describe how close this is to my heart. I love my pups like children. They became my kids after my kids were grown and married. I have to say that I appreciate your heart in this. As for myself I have learned that in a time of loosing a loved one ( And I have lost many ) Or the suffering of a loved one you make the decision that is right. If you love them, you love them. I just don't like to think about it because its like living it before it happens and once is bad enough.. thx s/f

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It pratically kills me every time I have had to do this. My dogs have always let me know when it was time to let go. Because I worked for a vet many years ago, my vet always lets me hold them while he administers the shot so my kids have me hugging them when the end comes. I owe them that for all the love they have given me. A year ago I lost my cat of 17 years. She had a seizure and died in my arms. I always want to be with them at the end so that they know that I love them as they have loved me.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just two short weeks ago, I had to have my friend of 10 yrs. euthanized. She developed diabetes 3 yrs ago, and I was able to give her shots 2x a day and make her own food. She did well until about 6 months ago, when she started to lose her sight and from the diabetes, her legs would go weak and it got harder for her to support her weight. I knew her time was short, but when she developed pancreatitis literally over night, I knew it was time. She had a bout of this 3 yrs ago, and I knew how excruciating painful it was. I knew this time was different. The vet gave her powerful pain med while she waited for the blood test results. They showed that her organs were shutting down. I made the decision to end her pain and suffering. It was the least I could do for my friend who had given me so much joy the past ten years.
RIP dear Em. 2000-2011.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have had to do this many times to my beloved pets. When the quality of their lives no longer exists, it is time to end their suffering. No matter how difficult it is, we owe them the peace and serenity that they so deserve.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My 16 1/2 year old cat and constant companion, Mel, was euthanized a few hours ago, and I was with him, face-to-face whispering to him. He had a happy life and was very loved and loving but went downhill very fast over the weekend. Although it hurt me to my core, there was no question about letting him go asap.

I have four other cats, and we're all grieving our loss. Mel was the most excellent cat. I didn't know until now just how much support he gave me, even social support. (Only fellow animal lovers will understand that one!)

It's always harder for the ones left behind . . . .

Thank you for posting this, muse7. It was very timely.

top topics

join