It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I am Chanel.

I am so many things. If you exclude my gender, my age, my sexuality, my culture, my political beliefs, and my religious beliefs...

...I am me. Who are you?

www.google.com...:&imgrefurl=http://cassandra96ning.blogspot.com/ 2011/04/fun-fun.html&docid=EYFRYDb7qHrfYM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K1noAhj-JQs/TbUqqlnjceI/AAAAAAAAAms/3htTknuI0ZE/s1600/14-cute-funny-danbo-c ardboard-box-art-cheer-up-bud.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=MD3HTuS-NvKA2QX9pZj4Dw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=443&vpy=299&dur=2759&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=144&ty=97&sig=110 113102945260579068&page=3&tbnh=123&tbnw=164&start=40&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:40" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

What defines who we are? Is it the differences in our ethnicity and culture? Our religious beliefs and practices? Do our sexes define who we are? Is it the gender that we choose to have sexual relations with? According to the ancient Greek philosopher, Aristotle, the question of what we are is answered as such; “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but, a habit.” Our repeated actions define who we are, not our race, creed, gender or orientation.

With that being stated, I am an empathizer. In my everyday life I practice the act of empathy through vegetarianism. I do not eat animals because I empathize with their deaths and their purposefully disgusting conditions while living.

I am a resistor. I resist the notion to believe every ideology that I am told by the majority, simply because the majority thinks it to be true. For instance, I am a regularly practicing lesbian that goes against the flow of gender roles. I do not think that I should wear dresses to formal events, unless I want to. My favorite color is not pink and I do not want to experience the pain of childbirth.

I am a minority. “Sometimes, when I was growing up, my identity seemed to paste itself right to my face. I felt that way, encountering the stereotypes of my race perpetuated by non-Japanese people (primarily White).“ (Noda ). Just like, Kesaya E. Noda, I am constantly aware and reminded of what society thinks about my personal identity based on my physical features. I look like the opposite of what society has conditioned women to look like. I am obviously “the other”, different then the “normal” woman. I have always kept my hair short but tidy. I wear big-thick plastic, artsy glasses and loose fitting jeans, never dresses. To look at me, by societies standard of “feminine” and not realize “what” I am, would be impossible.

Discrimination based on race and sexual identity are pointless. Everyone is their own individual person, making mistakes in their own ways. Stereotyping any portion of people into “how” their supposed to act is discrimination. Even, if the discriminator is nice about it. For example, men often ask me, “So, who’s the guy and who’s the girl?” in reference to the suspected gender roles between my partner and I. I always tell them that there is no male role in our relationship because we’re both women. Most importantly, we’re all human.

Works Cited:
Noda, Kesaya E. . “Growing Up Asian In America.” 75 Readings Plus. Ed. Santi V. Buscemi and Charlotte Smith. 9th ed. New York: McGraw Hill. 2007. 172-178. Print

Moncur, Laura. “Laura Moncur’s Motivational Quotations.”. quotationpage.com. The Quotation Page. 2010. Web. 10 Oct. 2011

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
"Who are you?"
answer: "Who-oo, Who-oo" The Who

"Who are you?"
answer: "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together" Lennon & McCartney
Sorry...couldnt resist.

I think I am undefinable. A work in progress, with no end in sight...in this world...and in the former life...and into the next. "The road goes on forever" Allman brothers Band

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth
"Who are you?"
answer: "Who-oo, Who-oo" The Who

*facepalm* i was thinking the same! hahaha I REALLY WANT TO KNOW! who-oo who-oo!

I've discovered that i am not only 1 person but so many, living in the same body, behaving differently in every situation. I'm a woman, i'm a worker, i'm a diferent person when i'm alone and when i'm in a crowd or when i'm just with 1 people, i'm my magical self when i'm doing rituals and performing magic(k) arts, another one when i'm with my parents.... the list goes on. I've made a big list of features of every one of this selves as an exercise, looking from another POV the self you're analizing and it really helps to find what you're doing wrong and correct it.

Maybe i just have a mental dissorder

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Seriously though.The more we search for our distinct and individual differences of gender, race, color, creed, political affiliations, musical, artistic and educational differences...it seems I draw the conclusion that we all no matter what...are not so different from each other.

We laugh, we learn, we love, we cry, and we die.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
i am nobody

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chanel

I am legend.

But I'm not the Fresh Prince.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by chanel

On the outside I am tall,slim, blonde, big busted and attractive. On the inside I'm not definable. It dosnt matter what a person looks like or how other people want to view you, its how you view yourself.
We are all judged by small and petty individuals, aparently I 'm not allowed a brain cause I have big boobs.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I am nothing.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whosthatgirl
reply to post by chanel

On the outside I am tall,slim, blonde, big busted and attractive. On the inside I'm not definable. It dosnt matter what a person looks like or how other people want to view you, its how you view yourself.
We are all judged by small and petty individuals, aparently I 'm not allowed a brain cause I have big boobs.

I agree with you! I also am attractive to most, with large breasts. I wish that breasts were not a standard of beauty in Western culture.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
← I'm this guy 【ツ】

something I read recently:

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.
T & C

edit on 19-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth
Seriously though.The more we search for our distinct and individual differences of gender, race, color, creed, political affiliations, musical, artistic and educational differences...it seems I draw the conclusion that we all no matter what...are not so different from each other.

We laugh, we learn, we love, we cry, and we die.

The 3 Divisors of We:

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. me

The "me" portion has three parts to it:

1. Race
2. Creed
3. Gender/Sexuality

As to the 1st one there, We are all one race, the Human Race.

As to the 2nd one there, it combines with the 3rd one to become one, for as to Creed, the only Creed is Brother & Sister, which is the answer for the 3rd one as well, which means combined, they are all One and the first two in the original three (Religion & Politics), are an illusion.

We are One, Brothers and Sisters in God/Source.

Ribbit

new topics

top topics

join