It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Created from a Vacuum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The article did a really poor job of explaining the the design of the test, the methodology by which it operated and how it excluded other possibilities (such as, did it exclude higher frequency waves from influencing the result?).

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, well.. Here we have a breakthrough unlike any other.. My God, This means The Emerald Tablets are the real deal...

That means consciousness lies within the formless, the darkness. Dude there is something on the other side. Something good. The Emerald Tablets says that when you are within the darkness, you can create light since you are made of light.

I know I sound like a bat crazy new age guy, but this just proves it. Something is "trapped" within that vacuum as were we when the Big Bang happened..

If nothing else, look at the Bible.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

If anything is set in stone because of this discovery, it's that Spirits are real and they have the ability to create things within void.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

"The result was that photons appeared in pairs from the vacuum, which we were able to measure in the form of microwave radiation," says Per Delsing. "We were also able to establish that the radiation had precisely the same properties that quantum theory says it should have when photons appear in pairs in this way."

What happens during the experiment is that the "mirror" transfers some of its kinetic energy to virtual photons, which helps them to materialise. According to quantum mechanics, there are many different types of virtual particles in vacuum, as mentioned earlier. Göran Johansson, Associate Professor of Theoretical Physics, explains that the reason why photons appear in the experiment is that they lack mass. "Relatively little energy is therefore required in order to excite them out of their virtual state. In principle, one could also create other particles from vacuum, such as electrons or protons, but that would require a lot more energy."

The energy of the "virtual photons" is but the kinetic energy of the measuring device no free energy here, not to say free energy is not possible, just this doesn't meet the requirements. This relationship of the "mirror" and the "virtual photons" is interesting though and I cannot help but be reminded of schrodinger and wonder if waveform creation is similar to that of collapse. Cool find cheers for the read.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This is cool because it essentially means you can add or subtract space-time into light. IE, warp drive!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Of course, that was not scientific, and since science up until recently seemed unwilling to accept anything it could not directly measure as real; the notion of virtual particles was a real head scratcher for some traditionalists.

It seems here that you're jumping on science for the wrong reasons. Science is the collective repository for man's observations -- if it's not measurable, repeatable, or observable, then it can't be added into this repository. It doesn't mean a given thing doesn't happen or exist (in the case of these "vacuum fluctuations," they were in the realm of theoretical physics up until now), it just means it hasn't been technically observed, measured, or repeated.

Though, if you're referring to the non-scientific, grant-money-dependent "science establishment," I would agree with you. Some scientists have been dismissing things as impossible without experimentation and calling the hypothesizers "stupid" or "uneducated," though not necessarily in those words. This seems especially true of Eastern Philosophies, and as Fritjof Capra and many others have observed, Western Science is beginning to look a lot like Eastern Philosophy, at least in the quantum/string theory realm.

Anyway, this experiment is fascinating and I am very glad that this vacuum fluctuation phenomena has been, at least, observed and measured. Some say that this phenomena violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, but I would hypothesize that these particles arise from either quantum reactions, the kind we haven't yet observed, or come from interactions that occur between universes on a quantum level. Personally, I hypothesize that matter and energy are transferred between universes all the time.

I'd like to add to the discussion this quotation by Edward Tryon, the man who generated the idea of vacuum fluctuations back in 1973:

"I visualized the universe erupting out of nothing as a quantum fluctuation and I realized that it was possible that it explained the critical density of the universe."

Also, he wrote a much longer version of this, postulating that the universe is just a very small quantum particle inside of another universe. From that, for me at least, gives me thoughts that human kind isn't at all important, but the life that it represents, is.

I would, however, like to see a detailed account of the experiment's design and its observation. With phenomena of such a delicate nature, an air-tight experiment is everything to science itself.

$0.07

edit on 11/18/2011 by Lifthrasir because: Too many zeros in that currency joke.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Was that from "Scanners"?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The "vacuum" described is a perfect vacuum? Devoid of all matter? I thought that was impossible. In that regard any atoms in the "vacuum" that are excited enough will cause electrons to change their valence, producing photons, correct? And they would be excited enough by microwaves in the gigahertz range...

Having said that I too believe that there are whole worlds all around us just out of our reach... so any "evidence" that is true is of course... redundant. (IMHO)

I also have to remember that this is a scientific thread and scientists don't run on faith, they run on proof.
So what do I know? I'm not a scientist.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is idiotic nonsense, obviously. To imagine that particles magically wink in and out of existence? And then, in an experiment specifically designed to have the desired outcome, after spending billions of dollars to produce an infinitesimal result the somehow proves something, a magical virtual mirror vibrating at 25 percent of the speed of light came up with the equation of bla bla bla.....I guess I'm the only one who sees this as retarded. How bout we try some real experiments instead of a bunch of computer simulations, and see what happens?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The "vacuum" of space has as much energy in a cm3 as when you put all the mass of the universe together, and you would still be about 30 orders of magnitude short.

Source? I hope ur in for a long sit, but it's well worth the watch if ur into this stuff:

and for the people who dont feel like watching 10 hours of it here is a "short" version:

All is nothing and everything is all, it seems modern day science is finally catching up to the "new age" with Nassim running ahead of them all.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Light Created from a Vacuum

www.sciencedaily.com

Scientists at Chalmers have succeeded in creating light from vacuum -- observing an effect first predicted over 40 years ago. In an innovative experiment, the scientists have managed to capture some of the photons that are constantly appearing and disappearing in the vacuum.

The experiment is based on one of the most counterintuitive, yet, one of the most important principles in quantum mechanics: that vacuum is by no means empty nothingness.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yea that's right LHC how do you feel NOW that I have successfully captured light through the use of my new Hoover Windtunnel vacuum?!?! Huh and how much, JUST HOW MUCH did it take to build that 23 kilometer behemoth that crosses all over Canada and into Messyco?!?! Meh...I just picked up my new Hoover Windtunnel (and yep you would be correct in assuming that it is a bag less unit cuz I mean DAR!! at least us Rednecks ain't so stupid enough to KNOW that ain't no light gonna be passing through no bag DAR DAR
)

So what do ya think that LHC set them Canadians back for?? perhaps something along the lines of about what...$30 to $40 maaaayyybbe $45 grand?!?
Well I hate to have to do this to ya Canada since ya'll are like our cousins being that ya'll ain't but a 5 minute drive outside Florida an all....but ya see THIS is in the name of SCIENCE, and ever since I studied science (class needed to pass to get my high school GED, but before anyone tries knocking on me for getting a GED, let me remind them RIGHT HERE AND NOW that I was studying science because I also am quite "tech savvy" as my GED completion was done ONLINE!! So I am NOT some stupid NUT TARD okay!?!?)

So where was I......

Oh YES!! So Canada guess at how much I SPENT on my....ummmmm...S....H...Windtunnel that currently has light trapped inside the vacuum as we speak even
Now don't forget to factor in the fact that it IS a Hoover Windtunnel BAGLESS vacuum, that way viewers get the extra added bonus of being able to visually SEE the light that's being shone....errr....the light particles that are trapped inside the Windtunnel but that's not too important so lets just move along here, move along.....so how much? $30k like Canada's LHC round pipe thing? Oh no...no...no not even!! My SHW (Small Halderon W=Windtunnel soon to be copyrighted so don't no one go and come up with any bright ideas here got it!!

Okay I'll spill the beans....MY SHW only set me back about $149.99 large, with the BEST PART being I only paid an extra $18 for a 2 year free replacement warranty...a NO HASSLE warranty I might add
So should I decide one day to use the SHW as a double duty street sweeper and go out and clean up my street as well as earning some mad respect points with the neighbors and accidentally suck up a man hole cover? No sweat baby...Hoover's got me covered, NEW ONE ON THE WAY no questions asked. Should I decide to recreate the Norway Spiral with my SHW in an attempt to check out the 5th dimension but first trapping me some light in my vacuum windtunnel as it will probably be pretty dark once I go Event Horizon up in thurrr, and at the last minute it chooses to suck ME into the spiral and spit the SHW back out....the warranty is FULLY transferable man!!! Again NO HASSLE BABY!! My wife just sends whats left of the original SHW and WHAMMO!! NO HASSLE!!

Then she can begin her galactic search and look for wherever I ended up at and bring me home

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

In a universe where something can come from nothing... is it really safe to say that we "know" anything for certain?

Yes. There is no conservation law for photon number. Something didn't come from nothing, something was transformed into something else.

Physics is safe. Quantum physics is quite a bit more complex than laymen realize.

Nassim Haramein doesn't know jack squat.

And the vacuum doesn't contain any huge amount of energy like 10^43 or whatever from some naive computations. The numbers are obviously unphysical artifacts of wrong computations. If it were physically real then you'd have massive gravitational warping in otherwise free space. But you don't. The conclusion is that the naive computations of vacuum energy density are wrong. In physics, observational reality takes priority over your ideas.

However, the main value of the experiment is that it increases our understanding of basic physical concepts, such as vacuum fluctuations -- the constant appearance and disappearance of virtual particles in vacuum. It is believed that vacuum fluctuations may have a connection with "dark energy" which drives the accelerated expansion of the universe. The discovery of this acceleration was recognised this year with the awarding of the Nobel Prize in Physics.

The relation between vacuum fluctuations and dark energy is quite unclear. Certainly for dark matter most scietnists believe in actual non-virtual particles as being responsible; the dark energy may be a different consequence of nonstandard physics or even an observational illusion.
edit on 19-11-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
crazy. We now have stuff that goes faster than the speed of light and particles that appear out of no where and disappear back into nothing. Kind of makes me think we don't know much about the laws of physics at all

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

So that's where all those photons went from all of the double slit experiments.

Is it me or does there seem to be an awful lot of New discovery's being made on a Cosmic level as of late, faster than light neutrinos to name a few.

The conspiracist in me says that these are all deliberate pointers to a planned up and coming motherload of all scientific discoveries...whatever that'll be

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Maxmars

This is cool because it essentially means you can add or subtract space-time into light. IE, warp drive!

Ding ding ding ding.... multiple space-times for the win. Interactive bonus round

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
This is idiotic nonsense, obviously. To imagine that particles magically wink in and out of existence? And then, in an experiment specifically designed to have the desired outcome, after spending billions of dollars to produce an infinitesimal result the somehow proves something, a magical virtual mirror vibrating at 25 percent of the speed of light came up with the equation of bla bla bla.....I guess I'm the only one who sees this as retarded. How bout we try some real experiments instead of a bunch of computer simulations, and see what happens?

You are absolutely right, there is no existence to wink in and out of... this is all some dude's dream.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Einstein didn't destroy the aether, he just changed it's name to separate it from the theories of the 19th century.
Then space time became the quantum foam, and we are back to what in all accounts sounds like a type of aether. The medium for EM waves? Does a photon actually move or does it just recreate itself through the quantum foam? Very interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I am almost 100% positive that this is bleed through from another dimension or another universe. It's known that matter rushes to fill a vacuum. Perhaps when a vacuum is permitted to remain empty, the only place matter can be pulled from is another universe. And then back and forth between the two universes, fighting for ownership of the matter. That's the only logical conclusion, as bizarre as it is, that I can think of.

And it's fascinating and exciting!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
So, what's the difference (logically) between these two?

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Unless, of course, he is assuming the existence of a larger universe, with the exact same laws as ours, in which our universe formed as a result of those laws.

Personally, I prefer the theory that the universe "began" as an infinite quantum vacuum. Basically, this vacuum spontaneously collapsed, releasing a vast amount of energy, which then condensed to form matter...and the rest, as they say, is history. So, in that case, the universe is, and has always been, flat and infinite.

They're both the same in terms of logic.

My point is, we can't at the moment possibly know how the universe came into existence; so any guesses, no matter how well-honed, are bound to be almost entirely inaccurate.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Dagar

Now ask how much energy went into getting those virtual photons to hang around long enough to measure them. The energy expended is far greater than that of the photons. Pulling them out of the vacuum, so-to-speak, violates nothing.
But if thermodynamics states that energy can't be destroyed, wouldn't this be like bringing new energy into the Universe? Regardless of how much energy they used to excite the virtual particles into becoming real, none of it would be destroyed. Perhaps maybe the energy is being transferred into the virtual particles, but if that were the case then they're not really pulling photons from nothing, they're using existing energy and turning it into photons.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

"Nothing" is a paradox. It "is", but it is not. So surely illumination must ensue. At the beginning of time the primal singularity void would have to have been the most enormous engine of paradox imaginable.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join