It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Star Wars MMO Banners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I saw the top banner for Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO ( Which I am going to buy and have weekend tested) and thought it quite ironic that I was reading a thread about war profiteering and the line "profit from war...fight for the Empire" appeared. Sorry, just making an observation.
Anyone else planning on getting into this game?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I still have PTSD from Star Wars Galaxies Online. SOE has ruined my virtual life, now I'm scarred and afraid to try anymore Star Wars online anything.

Let us know how crappy it turns out to be though.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I can say without violating NDA, it is 10x times better than Galxies is or ever was and it is just in Beta build. The stories are compelling and it actually makes you want to give 2 s***s about the characters and NPC's you are interacting with.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Not sure who is running this one, but if Sony has anything to do with it, then it will fail.
Galaxies started off incredible, I was hooked, 20 hour sessions, couldn't get enough. But the Devs could have cared less about bugs, upgrades always broke things and created more lag, and the Star Wars continuity was thrown out the window when everyone became a Jedi. I bet my name JibbyJedi is still in their forum board archives, I was one of their biggest complainers, I even wrote a nasty article about SOE and Galaxies for GameZone.

The memories, they are coming back to me now.... I need to call my therapist.

edit on 18-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Bioware is handling all of the development and ongoing development basing it off of the Knights of the Old Republic game and story arc and gameplay. The ingame converstaions are based on the Mass Effect convo system. Bioware knows what they are doing when it comes to the SW license Not to mention it is fully voice-acted, WELL!.

edit on 18-11-2011 by djvexd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
I can say without violating NDA, it is 10x times better than Galxies is or ever was and it is just in Beta build. The stories are compelling and it actually makes you want to give 2 s***s about the characters and NPC's you are interacting with.

This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.
SWTOR is NOTHING like Galaxies.
Comparing SWTOR to Galaxies is like comparing Mass Effect to Shadowbane
Galaxies was a sandbox
SWTOR is a themepark

Playing Galaxies today (their newest ground-to-air combat is pretty amazing, even though the game is set to shut down in 3 weeks), it is still far better than swtor.
edit on 18/11/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SpongeBeard

So is your sandbox analogy commenting on SWG being a sandbox game or are you analogizing about the entertainment value of a sandbox vs. a theme park?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm excited about this game.

I haven't played an MMO in awhile, I started WoW in Beta straight out of EQ. I got bored with WoW long before Cataclysm ever came out - tried that for a little while, was irritated and never played again. Bounced back and forth between EQ2, LOTRO, Vanguard, and so on, never could stick with it.

So, watching gameplay and reading about the storylines for this game has me surprisingly intrigued. I'm going to play a Smuggler right off the bat and be as shady as possible.

Going to try out a beta weekend soon.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
In the middle of my second beta weekend: I definitely like this game. The game mechanics and AI are nice, and more than make up for the "lack of customization" that people are already crying about. And you get your own spaceship?? How could you not love this game?
Ok, I'm pretty geeky, but it is a fun game.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Everyone seems to be saying that the game is solid. I might also succumb to peer pressure and pick this up at launch but I do hate the thought of subscription fees. Oh and question for anyone who has been in the beta, does the game really lack character customization that much?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It allows a pretty decent physical customization though for the beta the races were limited to 4 for each class. They claim that they will add mmore races as time goes on. Right now the have Chiss, Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Miraluka, Mirullian(sp?), Sith race, I don't quite rmember if there was Twilek or not. You can tweak all of the physical aspects of each, body type, facial, hair, horns, tats, cyborg implants , eye color..etc.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mortalhelix

No, there is actually a great amount of customization. I'm not really sure what people are complaining about - it has so many more options than WoW, for example. Maybe some people want to have more control over the body type, since there are "only" 4 types per gender to choose from?

I really don't care about customization so much, I like the varied and player-led storylines as well as many facets of the game itself. I'm looking forward to battlegrounds and PvP once I'm actually playing more frequently.

Yes, monthly fees are a pitfall, but I can get one month of at-will gameplay for roughly the same price as going to one movie at the theater. A fair trade, I'd say.

ETA: Yes, there are Twilek characters on the Republic side.
edit on 12/4/2011 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I was in the last 2 weekends but alas didn't get iinvited to this one...*withdrawals* I actually glad they are dumping everyones character info before launch so I can actually go through and enjoy it rather than looking for bugs.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I did the beta testing weekends. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, considering I had heard so many conflicting reviews. I really enjoyed the class story line for the Bounty Hunter. The grouping system was so buggy for me that I never got a good feel for it, but I was disappointed in what I did get to see of it. I never made it to end game, but I haven't heard any thing positive about it yet, and that worries me. While there were many things I enjoyed in the game, I didn't see any of the things that would keep me playing long term. I guess I'll have to wait until after launch before I know whether I'll be sticking around.

top topics

join