It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Tests Secret Hypersonic Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The U.S. Army's hypersonic weapon prototype streaked across the Pacific Ocean at several times the speed of sound Thursday, Nov. 17, in a flawless maiden test flight. The success could pave the way for a new military capability to strike targets anywhere on Earth in as little as an hour.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
doesnt sound very secret to me

I read the first test they did a year ago, they managed some pretty insane speed back then too.

Im not in it for the hypersonic missiles or nukes or whatever, im far more interested in getting around the world myself in an hour or two. Pop to NY for shopping then pop over to sydney to catch an opera on the same day, cooooooool!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
LOL...the US has Hypersonic Weapons and well the Iranians have their flying boats!!!! (see thread reference on this page).

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Guys n Gals...

This thread needs more data from an objective source so please see attached link and precis from the British Broadcasting Corporation from 12th August 2011...

BBC hypersonic story

US military scientists lost contact with an unmanned hypersonic experimental aircraft on its second test flight, officials said.

The Falcon Hypersonic Test Vehicle 2 (HTV-2) successfully separated from its rocket but lost contact shortly into its "glide phase".

The plane is designed to travel at Mach 20, or 20 times the speed of sound.

The Falcon project is part of the US defence department's plans to develop a rapid-strike weapons system.

A hypersonic plane could potentially enable the US military to hit targets anywhere in the world in under an hour.

Highly complex

The HTV-2 - shaped like the tip of a spear - took off atop a Minotaur IV rocket from Vanderberg Air Force Base in California early on Thursday.

It was propelled to the edges of space where it then separated from the rocket.

The aim by engineers was that it would glide back to Earth at 13,000mph (21,000km/h) - enduring temperatures in excess of 3,500F (2,000C) - before plunging into the Pacific Ocean.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa), which is funding the HTV-2 programme and overseeing the tests, said more than nine minutes of data was collected "before an anomaly caused loss of signal".

"Initial indications are that the aircraft impacted the Pacific Ocean along the planned flight path," Darpa said in a statement on its website.

An HTV-2 plane was first tested last year, and ended with the craft crashing into the Pacific after the military lost contact with the glider nine minutes into the flight.

However, the flight still managed to return 139 seconds of aerodynamic data at a velocity between 17 and 22 times the speed of sound, Darpa said.

"We know how to boost the aircraft to near space," Maj Chris Schulz, the programme manager, was quoted as saying on Darpa's website.

"We know how to insert the aircraft into atmospheric hypersonic flight. We do not yet know how to achieve the desired control during the aerodynamic phase of flight. It's vexing; I'm confident there is a solution. We have to find it."

Maj Shulz said a team of experts would now analyse the flight data and expand "our technical understanding of this incredibly harsh flight regime".

Some analysts say a second uncompleted flight could force Darpa to rethink the entire project, the BBC's Marcus George in Washington reports.

The HTV-2 is designed by engineers to travel at 13,000mph (21,000km/h)

Interesting stuff and I look forward to more data. Is this just to reduce reaction time and minimise preemptive strikes in terestruial wars or is this also being used for space travel? Sounds like it it dependent on "dropping to earth" to reach mach 20?

Check the link for a pic of the HTV-2... looks like the blade from the end of a spear...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So whats your point? Pretty much every system goes through a series of pass/fail and it seems like its been nailed. The previous tests were primarily of the propulsion system and changes were made and they worked.

Originally posted by RelSciHistItSufi
Guys n Gals...

This thread needs more data from an objective source so please see attached link and precis from the British Broadcasting Corporation from 12th August 2011...

BBC hypersonic story

US military scientists lost contact with an unmanned hypersonic experimental aircraft on its second test flight, officials said.

The Falcon Hypersonic Test Vehicle 2 (HTV-2) successfully separated from its rocket but lost contact shortly into its "glide phase".

The plane is designed to travel at Mach 20, or 20 times the speed of sound.

The Falcon project is part of the US defence department's plans to develop a rapid-strike weapons system.

A hypersonic plane could potentially enable the US military to hit targets anywhere in the world in under an hour.

Highly complex

The HTV-2 - shaped like the tip of a spear - took off atop a Minotaur IV rocket from Vanderberg Air Force Base in California early on Thursday.

It was propelled to the edges of space where it then separated from the rocket.

The aim by engineers was that it would glide back to Earth at 13,000mph (21,000km/h) - enduring temperatures in excess of 3,500F (2,000C) - before plunging into the Pacific Ocean.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa), which is funding the HTV-2 programme and overseeing the tests, said more than nine minutes of data was collected "before an anomaly caused loss of signal".

"Initial indications are that the aircraft impacted the Pacific Ocean along the planned flight path," Darpa said in a statement on its website.

An HTV-2 plane was first tested last year, and ended with the craft crashing into the Pacific after the military lost contact with the glider nine minutes into the flight.

However, the flight still managed to return 139 seconds of aerodynamic data at a velocity between 17 and 22 times the speed of sound, Darpa said.

"We know how to boost the aircraft to near space," Maj Chris Schulz, the programme manager, was quoted as saying on Darpa's website.

"We know how to insert the aircraft into atmospheric hypersonic flight. We do not yet know how to achieve the desired control during the aerodynamic phase of flight. It's vexing; I'm confident there is a solution. We have to find it."

Maj Shulz said a team of experts would now analyse the flight data and expand "our technical understanding of this incredibly harsh flight regime".

Some analysts say a second uncompleted flight could force Darpa to rethink the entire project, the BBC's Marcus George in Washington reports.

The HTV-2 is designed by engineers to travel at 13,000mph (21,000km/h)

Interesting stuff and I look forward to more data. Is this just to reduce reaction time and minimise preemptive strikes in terestruial wars or is this also being used for space travel? Sounds like it it dependent on "dropping to earth" to reach mach 20?

Check the link for a pic of the HTV-2... looks like the blade from the end of a spear...

edit on 18-11-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by RelSciHistItSufi

This wasn't the htv2, that was an Airforce project.

This was an Army project, and they nailed it on the first try. Dont thinl was as fast as htv, but was in the mach 6-8 region, still hypersonic.

From what little I know, I belive the af program was an exoatmospheric vehicle, the army one stays within the atmosphere the whole trip.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Sorry for short reply I am using my phone while I'm meant to be working. But requarding the above BBC article I remember it being posted somewhere on here when it came to light, my thoughts about this (the BBC article) and this current US Army project is that it's nice that they develop this technology as a means of destruction. Why not use the tech to help the people of the world to travel or to supply aid where it's needed and fast. Sick of the US government developing new tech and turning into weapons to strike other countries. I'm beginning to see what others think that the US Government is the biggest threat to world peace.

Just for the record I'm not having a dig at the American people just the people that run the show ... Hell mind you I cant say much I'm in the UK our government is just as bad

Rant over .. Sorry guys and girls if my reply is pointless just wish all this new tech was used to help the world instead of destroying it

top topics

join