It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the New Physics Here? Atom Smashers Get an Antimatter Surprise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Universe is mainly made up of matter, and not antimatter. Physics as we know it most likely will be proven wrong.

The world's largest atom smasher, designed as a portal to a new view of physics, has produced its first peek at the unexpected: bits of matter that don't mirror the behavior of their antimatter counterparts. The discovery, if confirmed, could rewrite the known laws of particle physics and help explain why our universe is made mostly of matter and not antimatter. Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider, the 17-mile (27 km) circular particle accelerator underground near Geneva, Switzerland, have been colliding protons at high speeds to create explosions of energy. From this energy many subatomic particles are produced. Now researchers at the accelerator's LHCb experiment are reporting that some matter particles produced inside the machine appear to be behaving differently from their antimatter counterparts, which might provide a partial explanation to the mystery of antimatter. [The Coolest Little Particles in Nature]

source: news.yahoo.com...
edit on 18-11-2011 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Very interesting! Looks like the LHC is finally paying is dividends

This could help answer the question why we came to be; I believe it was for this kind of discovery that they built the LHC in the first place, hoping to achieve such feats.

I just hope that they will chase this further and it doesn't just simply fade into History as another one of those "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!" moments; then nothing ever does really change much.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I AM WAITING FOR THEM ANNOUNCE SOME DAY THAT, HEY GUYS WE FOUND A WAY TO ALTER YOUR DNA OR PROBABLY TRANSPORT YOU TO ANOTHER DIMENSION OR SOMETHING, I AM SO BORED OF THIS LIFE , NEED SOMETHING NEW LOL

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another misreading like the "faster than light" particles a few weeks ago.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by paranoid7887

AGREE, for a min i taught wow could this be it, but no they were wrong. SMH

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I thought that the initial subsequent tests undertaken backed up the faster than light claims?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

It's not a done deal yet but there is promise.....

From the same link:
When it comes to particle physics, it's all about the quality of statistics. Measuring something once is meaningless because of the high degree of uncertainty involved in such exotic, small systems. Scientists rely on taking measurements over and over again — enough times to dismiss the chance of a fluke.

The new finding ranks as a "3.5 sigma" result, meaning the statistics are solid enough that there is only a 0.05 percent likelihood that the pattern they see isn't really there. For something to count as a true discovery in particle physics, it must reach a 5 sigma level of confidence.

"It's certainly exciting, and certainly worth pursuing," LHCb researcher Matthew Charles of England's Oxford University told LiveScience. "At this point it's a tantalizing hint. It's evidence of something interesting going on, but we're keeping the champagne on ice, let's say."

By the end of 2012, Charles said, the Large Hadron Collider should have collected enough data to either confirm or reject the result.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Well i just did some research and found this

www.cbsnews.com...

And it's dated today November 18...so maybe your right, they're getting the same results.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Cool, thanks for the link. I thought i was going mad! (puzzle face was directed at me rather than you!)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I actually think that the LHC is proving its worth rather than being the white elephant it always threatened to be! My big question is was man responsible or was it designed by computers?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
As well heres one dated Nov 18th as well, some what the same as the CBS report but with a little bit more info from the BBC.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Seems things are truly speeding up so to speak....

new topics

top topics

join