It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA announces HUGE discovery!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

...at the time communications took 52 minutes to reach earth at light speed.

You sure about that mate?

As far as i am aware, light speed is about 8 minutes per AU...where did you get 52 minutes from?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
"All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there."

Intriguing

Loved those films.

RIP Arthur C. Clarke.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
About eight years ago I worked in real estate and while photographing a property that was for sale I got to talking with the owner. He was an older guy in his 80s who was a retired NASA rocket engineer 1950-1970s, wrote a book on it and everything, he autographed me a free copy too. This was right after Shuttle Columbia disaster and he was telling me how terrible the Space Shuttle design was etc, (he thought shuttles basically pushed on NASA because the USA would appear more "flashy and advanced like "Buck Rogers")

Anyway, back on topic...he also went on a tangent about how there are ice covered oceans on Europa which had whales and all sorts of life in them. He said this as of it were a fact, he was getting up there in age so maybe he was a bit senile...but he seemed of sound mind to me. Besides the whale thing he said nothing else outlandish. It always stuck with me and this thread reminded me of that conversation.

I'll look for the book when I get home today and post his name, if anyone is interested.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

wouldn't worry..we all make mistakes when we get in a rush.
Interesting story concerning our moon even so.
Thnx for posting

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I didn't cross check much, I got the figure from Space Daily.

the probe was lost almost a hour before this, as it took some 52 minutes for Galileo's transmissions to reach earth.

But this JPL PDF confirms the figure. Jupiter must have been opposite the sun at the time, or thereabouts.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

He may be the source of the question posed in this ATS thread right here. You may want to visit that thread if you have more you can expand on.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by DJW001

By moon I did not mean our moon as you saw in the quoted text and article.

Hate to break it to you but "the moon" without any context besides "NASA announces HUGE discovery!" upon reading, doesn't mean Europa, it means, uh, THE MOON.

I want my alien zoos so hopefully this finding brings that a step closer.

edit on 18-11-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This makes me so Pi**ed, Come on stupid humans, really? What makes you think that live forms could not have a different base for their body structure. We humans have a carbon, silicone base, what makes you think that there could life forms out there are made up of a different combination? Do we really think that highly of ourselves, that we are the only ones in the universe, as so vast as this one?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Arthur C. Clarke featured this fact in a couple of his books. This is not news. Sorry.

It was an interesting idea then and now though.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

Are you serious??? There is a clear difference between a science fiction writer's ideas and actual scientific discoveries..

Let him go back to writing more science fiction stories lol
This is actually very big news..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

There is some kind o life on our moon.. Either alien life or bacteria NASA is not just gonna admit it in one day.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Yeah, Goldilocks zone?
I totally agree! Rather than redefining the goldilocks zone to meet our new discoveries, in what appears an attempt to 'save face', why not rid ourselves from this antiquated term. It only helps to impede our understanding to the possibilities of life in our solar system and beyond.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

At opposition with Jupiter Earth is around 4 AU's distance. When Earth is on the far side of the Sun as Jupiter we are around 6 AU's. At this point the Sun would hinder transmissions from the probe. The transmission time must have been due to other circumstances.

However, the probe was lost almost a hour before this, as it took some 52 minutes for Galileo's transmissions to reach earth.
SpaceDaily

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The "discovery" is not the presence of large amounts of water on (in) Europa, that's been known for some time. What the current study of old data (the subject of the Huffington article) provides is a mechanism for the existence of raised areas in the ice shell which had puzzled scientists.

This study indicates that the terrain may be caused by pockets of liquid water within the ice, close to the surface.

Here we report an analysis of archival data from Europa, guided by processes observed within Earth's subglacial volcanoes and ice shelves. The data suggest that chaos terrains form above liquid water lenses perched within the ice shell as shallow as 3 kilometres.

www.nature.com...

The implication is that, because there may be liquid water closer to the surface of the ice (instead of under a shell miles thick, the chances for life are improved.
edit on 11/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread in the same forum.

New findings about Jupiter's intriguing moon Europa.

thanks

<< 1   >>

join