It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft silently updating xbox security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Over the last 24 hours M$ have been silently updating xbox consoles security not via the usual means of an opt in update by via covert background processes unknown to the user, this update has been effecting illegitimate and legitimate customers alike

The new security feature works by changing whats known as AP2.5 security challenge data to be console specific, if a challenge comes back to M$ as failed then the console in question is flagged for a ban

Only a few months ago M$ recently re-enstated users consoles while also providing M$ points as compensation after banning many legitimate gamers

This update is not being deployed via a SystemUpdate or TitleUpdate, but rather occurs in the background without any visual indication or prompt to the user. As such, there is no means by which it can be cancelled or avoided, other than not connecting to LIVE. If you’ve connected to LIVE in the past 24 hours, your system has likely already been updated

c4evaspeaks.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
But what does it all mean?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Allis1

one of my buddies got hacked recently.. they charged up MASSIVE debt on his account... Something like 40K points and a few games

when he handled it with MS... they let him keep everything for free and returned his money... it was quite interesting, since they banned his console even though it wasn't his... I think they did get hacked, maybe nothing major..but dont want to lose the market since they have such a great hold on it

rather have a background update then have the network down for a month *COUGH COUGH PSN*

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by B1ayneO

Basically in the past if you had a modified console, hackers would reject the latest update, until they programmed/flashed the console to bypass the newly implemented security features, this time the update gave no warning in order to catch more people out

During one ban wave a few years ago M$ banned roughly 1 million consoles, however their methods aren't 100% effective being that sometimes non-modified consoles also get banned

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well my console is still working fine so no problems here and if the update helps keep me from getting hacked then i'm all for it. After the way Sony was raped a month ago i'm sure Microsoft is redoubling there efforts to keep the consoles safe.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Over at xbox.com support forums a lot of users are reporting disk issues on multiple copies of MW3, this "dirty disk" error is synonymous with failed AP2.5 security challenges,

new topics

top topics

join