It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Of The CD Format Predicted For 2013.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I personally dont think that this will make a dent really. People have always found away to get music, no matter you way.

DO you think this can change the industry? Who may suffer is when this happens? And do you think this will effect you?

After it virtually killed off the cassette tape and the short lived mini-disc, the compact disc may be dead within two years according to industry insiders.

According to Side Line Music Magazine, the shelf life of the CD is set to expire before 2013. The magazine reports that most major labels are planning to stop producing the little shiny discs that were all the rage in the 80′s, and replace them with streaming and digital download options. Most of these plans are set to take effect at some point in 2012, with the only CD’s still available being limited edition prints — which will only be made for major artists.

The magazine attempted to get an official statement from some of the major labels to confirm these reports but none would oblige the request. However, shortly after the initial report the magazine was approached by several employees and associates of those labels who confirmed plans to nix the CD do exist and will be executed before 2013.

The format’s popularity has decreased drastically since the rise of digital retailers such as iTunes and Amazon. Another contributing factor in the discontinuation being the drop in overall music sales due to the exponential increase of online piracy over the last decade. This move doesn’t really come as a surprise, but it is somewhat sad for those who grew up with and still utilize the format.

banana1015.com...

I know that this is also going to happen to movies, there will either be blue ray, or digital download. No one wants to pay $60 bucks for a movie for two, popcorn and soda.

Also when you rent from blockbuster, unless you buy them you cannot see the special features, which really sucks!!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As someone who still buys vinyl I doubt that the CD will be replaced anytime soon. I would rather have the original CD or vinyl because download sites severely compress the music affecting the sound quality.

itunes - used to be 128 now - 256
CD quality is 320

This is the reason songs range in volume, play a 128 and it will be very low volume and a 320 track will be louder at the same volume.
edit on 17-11-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Cd's became obsolete as soon as ipods hit the market. that opened up a plethora of ways to listen to music not using Compact discs. album sales dropped by another 13% this year, it's only a matter of time until the CD becomes just a relic of times bygone.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
still need them for blue ray and ps3 though

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

And see? This is how it begins.

"Oh, NO, there were never any advanced societies in earth's distant history, humanity just lived like a bunch of man-apes for tens of thousands of years until they mysteriously started having all sorts of innovative advancements for no truly sensible reason..."

CDs, gone. Everything moving to digital media. And science can't suppose that perhaps earlier societies did this as well, moving all media, records, and whatever regarding any significant societal advancements into intangible and easily lost formats, so nature can come along and eventually remove all traces of their existence beyond primitive stone records and various implements that can actually stand the test of time...

Sorry - I know that's somewhat off topic. Aside from this fact, I have no problem with the loss of CDs...just another outdated technology.

And in a few thousand years after we've destroyed all our grand society and left a remnant to rebuild from scratch, discussing the "myths" of our time, a society not entirely unlike our own will doubt we were anything but cave-dwelling hunter-gatherers.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Stereo Head Unit with USB port +

32gb Transformers Flash Drive =

Never having to use a CD or Ipod ever again.

Small storage devices will replace everything
edit on 17-11-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Guess I'm gonna have to buy the white album again.
heh.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The reason the CD is becoming unpopular is because labels will only expose the artists who can't make an album worth buying/remembering. All we have are these one-hit wonders that will be forgotten in two years' time.

I suppose it doesn't really matter. CDs were a step down from records anyhow. MP3s are just worse

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This has been coming for a long time. The whole idea of "the cloud" and streaming everything, is the push for a non-tangible, easily manipulated society based on "intellectual property". A digital society that allows you to purchase usage rights and/or access to music, movies, documents, and even your own money and data.

If they have their way. In the near future, consumer computers and devices will store no data. They will only be portals to that data.

And just as in Orwell's 1984, anything said or written can be changed or erased in the blink of an eye.

As Donny Rumsfeld once said, "I never said that". And someday, there won't be any proof he did.
edit on 11/17/2011 by Klassified because: reword 2

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Is there any doubt?
Chips rule.
...And, of course, chips aen't going to be what they are now either.

top topics

join