It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% of ‘Green Energy’ Loans Went to Top Obama Donors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Say it isn't so!! We've already learned about Solyndra and have yet to discover all of the "secret" communications that surround that case. But this is ridiculous. 80% of these $20.5 Billion in loans is a big chunk of change and just another reason for OWS to march on Capital Hill instead of shutting down Wall Street.

Does the definition of crony capitalism differ when the money is sent to bogus "green industries"? Does it also differ when applied to Obama? I'm confused.

Kudos once again to Schweizer and his "Throw Them All Out" tell all book.

As the list reveals, 80 percent of all $20.5 billion in Department of Energy loans went to President Obama’s top donors. Furthermore, some of those dwarf in size those given to Obama bundler George Kaiser, owner of the now defunct Solyndra.

The list—which features the likes of Google owners Larry Page and Sergey Brinn, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Ted Turner, John Doerr, and Al Gore—raises new questions about the procedures used to administer the now-controversial DOE loans.

biggovernment.com...-377140

It's quite the Who's Who of the Gimme Gimmes.

As mentioned in this article, this example of playing favorites is simply one more massive contradiction uttered from the lips of Obama.

“Let me repeat that: Decisions about how Recovery money will be spent will be based on the merits. They will not be made as a way of doing favors for lobbyists,”

www.whitehouse.gov...

Sure buddy. Do as I say not as I do.

edit on 17-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Cronyism at its worst. Both parties are so guilty of it that it is sickening.

Occupy the voting booth!

In 2012 we need to send a clear message to the politicians that we are not going to stand for this type of behavior. It is time to vote out each and every career politician from BOTH parties who have benefitted from their positions of authority. Every American should research their representatives (House and Senate) and vote them OUT if they are guilty of this type of behavior.

Edit to add: Although it didn't specify it originally in my post it should be assumed that we are ALSO voting out Obama...not just focusing on the legislative branch!!!!
edit on 17-11-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I'm just guessing here, but did the other 20 percent go to overseas companies perhaps?

How's that hopey-changy working out?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
While I support Green Energy and do believe it possible to shift away from oil and natural gas, I think it's disgusting to try to switch from oil tycoons to green energy tycoons. It will be the same economic burden on the people and the same shady dealings from our government. Fire them all.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Could it be that people involved in doing something that might have environmental benefits might mostly me democrats? I dont see a lot of the right wing involved in that.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Could it be that people involved in doing something that might have environmental benefits might mostly me democrats? I dont see a lot of the right wing involved in that.

Actually it is easy to spin this BS.

All you need to do is find a Democrat within the investors of each company...and then ignore the Republicans that also invested.

You could easily scope through the loan recipients, highlight the Republicans amongst the investors in each and then make a headline replacing "Obama Donor" with "GOP Contributor" and get the same or greater numbers.

For example...no one ever mentions that with Solyandra...the biggest investor after Kaiser was Sam Walton of Walmart fame...and a Huge GOP Contributor. Inconvenient, that bit.

If 80% of the loan recipients were MAJORITY OWNED by Obama Contributors, that would be interesting.

But playing find the Democrat amongst the investors in each company/ignore the republicans and then make up a misleading headline...spin exhaust me.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
No surprise look how that works they give Obama money they give them our money and the icing on the cake is push technology that depends on the Climate which they get to regulate via the epa.

All around win win for the Government all around loss for us with the simple fact green technology depends on the climate and those same people scream and shout the climate is changing which means that technology will become worthless in the long run and destroy trillions of wealth and push jobs overseas.

Yeah really hope and change there because soon were all we are going to be left with is no hope and not even the change in our pockets.

The green policy is an epic fail on so many levels and they will have their cheerleaders chanting Yes We Can! make the people and this country even poorer than they already are right now.

There is another side to this coin that most people are not looking at as well the billions of Government green loans and tax credits and rebates that are going to push a failed technology and in case people missed it:

Doners give the government money which they give back to those corporations people pay taxes which goes back to fund those green tech rebates and there they are screaming raise taxes corporations are evil yadda yadda and they go look at all those "jobs saved or created".

Come on people pay attention to the bs when its flying around.

Or in other words your tax money goes to those corporations funded by taxes to make them and more taxes pay those corporations even more via subsidation for saving the planet which won't save your wallet.
edit on 17-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd love to see a 60 minutes report on that! Or even have Rachel Maddow or Jon Stewart cover it. But they won't.

They could also add in the vast amounts of stimulus money that went straight to union coffers. Then those unions turned around and made some nice donations back to the Democrats.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Look into why the solar cell company failed. China wants that market, because it is very profitable. We gave away crt tubes and never got a shot at LCDs Solar energy is hot and they can undercut us. It was worth a try - seems like you guys would rather just sit on your hands and let the bully take your lunch money. No risk -- no reward.

I am not going to do the research on this again.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

That's why we have private enterprise and investment. If the product and the technology is viable the investors will be knocking on your door to get a piece of your action. Instead, we have our Department of Energy handing out gift bags to cronies. The recipients of said bags were either financially in trouble, trying to compete in a market dominated by a Chinese govt. backed industry (we can never compete with that ever) or used the money to invest in overseas production and manufacturing facilities. In the case of the California Solar Farm, they opened a new factory in Mexico and would only create 15 jobs in California. Half of which would have been solar panel washers.

Does not compute. Much more has to be done to create a business and manufacturing friendly economy within the borders of the US. Solyndra was losing its shirt against the Chinese and everyone including private investors knew it. Their IPO failed to launch. It was doomed for the start and the money will never be seen again.

Its kind of like pissing into a strong wind...
edit on 17-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I love the nay saying about the loans not being for donors for the democrats. Then why was it such a photo-op? Touted for the jobs it created
Big oil is accused of being in the pockets of republicans yet many dems receive donations from them as well. So the dems can swallow their humble pie and own up to the green energy lobbies owning them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

the practice is called croney capitalism

and its not a case of previous POTUS' did it too....
it is the fact that Øbama promised Change...
and the only Change we have seen is the list of Doners getting fat paychecks disguised as Strategic investment by the government juggernaught with taxpayer monies to scatter on those deemed deserving.

Just Why is this piece of Labor Organizer crud even considered a 2012 candidate, is beyond me...
he would be tarred & feathered in a different era...

.sheeze
edit on 17-11-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

That's why we have private enterprise and investment. If the product and the technology is viable the investors will be knocking on your door to get a piece of your action.

Here is the problem with that logic. China...which is not a free market like the USA, has decided to corner the market. That means the Government is funding their Solar Technology iniatives and doing so at a loss in order to let their Solar companies sell at a lower price than they could in a free market.

The Chinese government is doing this so that they can drive other Solar companies around the world out of business and when they fully own the marketplace and have full economies of scale establshed, they will jack up the prices and no one can do anything about it, because they have destroyed the competition.

We can't compete with China without some government investment to off-set China's huge subsidies to their native manufacturers.

We can't apply tarriffs because we owe them money. Even if we could, everyone else around the world would continue to buy solar cheap from China.

Free Market vs. China doesn't work when China is not a free market and has decided to artificially keep costs low to destroy all the competition.

Right now it looks like the GOP would be happy cedeing the Solar industry to China...which I think is a HUGE mistake. The Oil companies will continue to prosper with less alternative energy....The USA will fall further behind in the world from Solar tech and infrastructure...10 years from now everyone will have cheaper energy, but the USA.

If ever there was a time to fight for our place in the world it is now and it is with energy innovation. Innovation is what the USA is best at...we kick the worlds ass in that regard...computers, cars, even effen electricity. The list is endless, we are the worlds inventors.

It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the USA surviving. Just my two cents.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I mentioned the China factor in my post. As long as the US is dependent on China financially, we will never successfully compete with them. Our nation helped to create this mess with China and we continue to enable it. The DOE and its bevy of advisers have known this all along and they knew it when they first laid eyes on the Solyndra operation. Private investors knew it also and were hesitant to invest until the DOE loan was miraculously secured. Knowing all of that, a certain somebody who sits in an oval office in DC insisted on pissing into a hurricane anyway and even sought to dish out more cash on top of the heap of problems already on the plate.

Govt. loans did NOT help Solyndra compete against China. No amount would have helped them. Nor will it help any other business. It is not the purpose of our govt.

We are not a Communist nation and we never will be. China invests in industry like they do in Olympic athletes. Our Govt. can do far more to regulate trade and create a more stable investment and development structure in the US. Yet, they fail to do so year after year. Must be something written into the loan contracts with China. Go figure. We are indentured to China indefinitely unless someone with enough balls can just say no to endless spending and collecting loans from China. It's a vicious cycle. It has to stop.

I can agree with some of what you're saying and in that regard perhaps the govt.. should follow the lead of private investors. They are not touching large scale solar for a reason. We missed the Solar boat 20 years ago.

edit on 18-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm with you Spyder,the reason is the right is funded by oil.
Oil wants nothing to do with green energy.
No scandal here.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I'm tired of talking. I'm tired of discussing why, who, and what. Obama is the dried sweat off of last years #$^$#%. I have the corn syrup and Ball Bearings, just supply some RDX fella.

I think my new signature says the rest.

top topics

join