It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actually, That's NOT In The Bible!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I very very rarely write in this forum, as it is not my thing. But as I lay down I began to think of the number zero. I dont really know why, and I remember reading some where that the number zero is pretty new. And that it originated in India. (When I say "new" I mean based on how long people have lived on Earth, and how recently this has changed human history).
www.gutenberg.org...

Anyway, I began trying to search if the 10 commandments are correct, could this be wrong as the number zero, was rarely ever used? Or was used as a different symbol, and later misconstrued by the author's?

Which in turn lead me to the link, and snippet of why I think that there is such a huge debate against those that choose to live "by the book", and those that understand that there is just something with taking it to literal.

The Bible may be the most revered book in America, but it’s also one of the most misquoted. Politicians, motivational speakers, coaches - all types of people - quote passages that actually have no place in the Bible, religious scholars say.

These phantom passages include:

“God helps those who help themselves.”

“Spare the rod, spoil the child.”

And there is this often-cited paraphrase: Satan tempted Eve to eat the forbidden apple in the Garden of Eden.

None of those passages appear in the Bible, and one is actually anti-biblical, scholars say.

But people rarely challenge them because biblical ignorance is so pervasive that it even reaches groups of people who should know better, says Steve Bouma-Prediger, a religion professor at Hope College in Holland, Michigan.

“In my college religion classes, I sometimes quote 2 Hesitations 4:3 (‘There are no internal combustion engines in heaven’),” Bouma-Prediger says. “I wait to see if anyone realizes that there is no such book in the Bible and therefore no such verse.

“Only a few catch on.”

Phantom biblical passages work in mysterious ways

Ignorance isn’t the only cause for phantom Bible verses. Confusion is another.

Some of the most popular faux verses are pithy paraphrases of biblical concepts or bits of folk wisdom.

Consider these two:

“God works in mysterious ways.”

“Cleanliness is next to Godliness.”

Both sound as if they are taken from the Bible, but they’re not. The first is a paraphrase of a 19th century hymn by the English poet William Cowper (“God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform).

The “cleanliness” passage was coined by John Wesley, the 18th century evangelist who founded Methodism, says Thomas Kidd, a history professor at Baylor University in Texas.

“No matter if John Wesley or someone else came up with a wise saying - if it sounds proverbish, people figure it must come from the Bible,” Kidd says.

It’s doubtful. Her possible retort: The popular saying is a distillation of Proverbs 13:24: “The one who withholds [or spares] the rod is one who hates his son.”

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Now I am 100% sure that I have heard each of those saying, and I am sure that many religious people are not using them out of context purposely, but shouldn't someone correct them?

Where do these phantom passages come from?

It’s easy to blame the spread of phantom biblical passages on pervasive biblical illiteracy. But the causes are varied and go back centuries.

Some of the guilty parties are anonymous, lost to history. They are artists and storytellers who over the years embellished biblical stories and passages with their own twists.

If, say, you were an anonymous artist painting the Garden of Eden during the Renaissance, why not portray the serpent as the devil to give some punch to your creation? And if you’re a preacher telling a story about Jonah, doesn’t it just sound better to say that Jonah was swallowed by a whale, not a “great fish”?

Others blame the spread of phantom Bible passages on King James, or more specifically the declining popularity of the King James translation of the Bible.

That translation, which marks 400 years of existence this year, had a near monopoly on the Bible market as recently as 50 years ago, says Douglas Jacobsen, a professor of church history and theology at Messiah College in Pennsylvania.

“If you quoted the Bible and got it wrong then, people were more likely to notice because there was only one text,” he says. “Today, so many different translations are used that almost no one can tell for sure if something supposedly from the Bible is being quoted accurately or not.”

Now of course there will be some that will "interpret" what I just posted, but isn't that the point? To understand and get it correct? I am not knocking religious people, but I thought I would point this out, and get some opinions.

Peace, NRE.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 19/11/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Well, according to history, it is actually the "TEN Commandements" as in a word equaling 10 units. Not a number.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

The answer is simple. Before the symbol "zero" was invented, "ten" was expressed with other symbols. The Romans used "X". As someone has pointed out, they would also have used the word (which is another symbol).

As for whether the symbol was misconstrued- well, the commandments are listed, so it's easy enough to count them.

edit on 17-11-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well there was always roman numerals...x
. Our numbers are arabic.....;1' has one angle, '2' has two, 3 has three etc...

How does the existence of a zero or nought negate the bible?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

It is because the majority of western churches are so lukewarm and in many cases apostate. Majority of people see Christianity as a flu shot and once they said a little prayer to invite Jesus in their heart (which is not at all Biblical) they believe they are set for life and as long as they show up most Sundays all is well. The fault of Biblical ignorance is on both many preachers as well as those who profess the faith. Pastors for watering down the scripture as to become as politically correct as possible so they won't offend anyone so they can get more tithes. Then to the so-called Christians that don't spend any time actually studying the Word of God expecting to be spoon fed all they need to know from pop culture. Everyone gives fundamentalist preachers a bad wrap because they are so "intolerant", but they are really the only ones practicing Biblical Christianity. And as Jesus said, "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." The price of speaking the truth

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Trying a bit too hard to discredit the Bible it seems.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Meh

Surely you could do better on your own, instead of rehashing what someone else has already pointed out?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I don't know where you go or have gone to church. Frankly, all the churches I have gone to and continue to go to follow a simple pattern.

We open with greetings, a few hymns or songs, prayer requests and letting the church community know of the status of loved ones, community announcements, an offering, and a final song or special by the choir.

Then the preacher reads from the Bible...these verses are the sermon or topic for today. They are not paraphrased, or edited, or shortened... they are read directly from the Bible.

Then the preacher shares some illustrations from today, compares or contrasts them with what was read from the Bible, and how those scriptures relate to today, us... the congregation, and how we can apply them to our lives.

Sometimes for humor, analogy, or to emphasize a point.... the scriptures may be paraphrased instead of having to read again 14 verses just to illustrate a thought. But they are always Biblically based. And any good preacher or teacher of the Bible has always instructed the congregation to challenge him or her if the Bible is misread or misquoted.

I have visited churches where a message was given that did not place emphasis on the Bible.... I always wondered how you could do that, and never went back.

Lastly, most of the churches I have gone to will have a Wednesday night study group or prayer meeting and Bible study. There we would get deep into the Word looking at the context of the Scriptures, who did or may have written them, the Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic words and translations into English. We may even read different versions from different Bibles to compare. We usually use a Strong's Concordance... probably one of the best authorities on Biblical text... and then we talk about what we read and look at commentaries of scholars.

Most people always learned something new, and we usually find something that we thought was in the Bible, but actually came from a popular hymn... and many people's ideas of Heaven and Hell originate from Greek and Roman mythology... not the Bible.

But that is the point to studying the Bible... to move from the milkfat fed to the baby, and mature and get to the meat of God's Word.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Wasn't Aramaic the language used at the time of Jesus?

Anyway, here is a site that shows what the numbers 1-10 look like in different languages. As you can see in Aramaic, the number 10 is a symbol.

www.zompist.com...

Consonantal scripts

This site is actually pretty interesting as it shows you the difference of numbers and alphabets in over a thousand different languages.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

When translating the bible I suggest taking all the verses of the bible that can be applied to the verses of the bible be applied to the verses of the bible. Unless that book is a hypocrite. "Do unto others that which you would have done unto yourself" .... or something like that.

In other words: Apply the rules of the book to the book.

Maybe, just maybe, it may make a little more sense.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

OP I gave you a star because I understand what you are talking about, and I was trying to point it out to the brainwashed individual the other day on this forum, but he refused to believe.
I also gave a star to the person who said the church is being watered down, and saying a quick prayer can save you, i too also trying to point that out, i am glad people are realizing what is really going on.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Hi NRE.

First off, yes. A surprising and sad number of professed 'christians' are shockingly ignorant in some matters as pertains to their faith. Another poster referred to spoon-feeding and meat, and this is a fair comparison - just like with politics or most other things, people seem all-too-happy to simply run with what others have taught them.

Perhaps I'm just tired, but as to this:

Anyway, I began trying to search if the 10 commandments are correct, could this be wrong as the number zero, was rarely ever used? Or was used as a different symbol, and later misconstrued by the author's?

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding - could you clarify the question? Zero doesn't figure into a positive set of anything (as starts at 1 up through 10), and hebrew uses hebrew, not our current number system - in hebrew, the letters of the alphabet also have a numerical value, with YOD being ten (if I recall correctly).

I'm not sure if this IS gematria or just related to it, but the verse that talks about the number of his name being 666 likely refers to this number/letter relationship.

Take care.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
People who read the Bible know what is in it. These supposedly biblical examples are touted by people who don't really know the subject. Scholars don't need it pointing out.

The problem originates when people get their theology from tripe like Zeitgeist
edit on 17-11-2011 by sinthia because: added zeitgeist comment

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
the bible has no more relavents in my life than any over book, if your gunna live by 'the book' at least make it an interesting book

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

When translating the bible I suggest taking all the verses of the bible that can be applied to the verses of the bible be applied to the verses of the bible. Unless that book is a hypocrite. "Do unto others that which you would have done unto yourself" .... or something like that.

In other words: Apply the rules of the book to the book.

Maybe, just maybe, it may make a little more sense.

.. This is my kind of... X-ULTRA/DOMAIN question

1:What we have here is 10 statements laser/chiseled
... on to some red stone tablets...
2:V2SKULLED...
... from 'OUT OF THIS WORLD'... given to a human man...
3:Who had a 'manna machine' out therr... in the middle of the desert for 40years...
4:Walking back down a mountain... then 'ALL SEEING'... his Pep's playing...
5:And dancing with a... Golden Fat Cow... here's comes the 'DRAMA'...
6:Getting F-ING pissed off(better than pissed on... Unless U like that golden kinky thing
)...
7:Then going back up the mountain(could SIRIUS---(b)
8:Then coming back down again...

9:Saying this to his Pep's & YE-ALL better listen...

10:"LooKey here... YE-ALL... better do what I say God say...
otherwise Ur not going to be apart of heaven...

& it's the only thing to help U pine nuts evolve...
into beautyful trees of Christ like consious life...
"

Then enters this guy called Jesus saying, "The Pharisees and scholars have taken the
KEYS of knowledge and have HIDDEN them. 'They'(apparently 'They' eXisted back then too
)
have NOT entered NOR have 'They' ALLOWED those who WANT to ENTER to do so.
As for you my sheeple, be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves."

SO... So... sorry... for my breaking one of the ATS commandments...
Missing # 11
... "ThoU Shall Have Fun & Laughter"(Genesis 21:6
)
as my 'Conspiracy Art' style can be a little AD
... eXcessively...
BUTT JOINT... I ask this less than compleX Question...

---> Is It Better To Be FEA-RED
...|... Or Loved Like Peace

I think... So I am... Mr X-Ultra

edit on 17-11-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: A slight HTML Oop's

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
the cubit and the number 0
In genesis 6;15and 16 the words are 300 by 50 cubits so then if the 0 was not made till 500bc and the ark made in say 8000 bc for some say the world is only 10,000 year old, then this 0 would not existed, thus 300 nor 50 would either nor would the height be 30 nor would the people of Israel roamed the desert for 40 years. so the ark would be 3 and 5 by 3 and the tribe roamed the desert for 4.nor would Enoch be walking for 300 years he would have been for 3.
edit on 17-11-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicWaterGate

---> Is It Better To Be FEA-RED
...|... Or Loved Like Peace

Allegedly, according to some book I read, people were kicked out of some garden called Eden.
I pronounce it edun. Now, in this moment, I am to the right of edun. should I turn and go back to the left I think it would be nude. Allegedly they were nude in the garden of edun.

"Be not afraid" - First words from every angel in the bible.
And fear is many peoples' excuse for many many many things.

Can a u make the same sound as oo?
Can a c make the same sound as a u?
Do I hear and audible sound in the word "fear"?

"Look I fear" could be written as "Lucifer".

Lose Cipher?

A cipher is: a method of transforming a text in order to conceal its meaning. Also a key to unlocking the hidden meaning.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Those things are paraphrased, but some of them do exist in the Bible.

"Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child."

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

“God helps those who help themselves.”

OK, actually that one was supposedly from Ben Franklin, or Aesop's Fable, or Sophocles, and it does seem to go against the Christian Faith that all things should be placed in God's hands. I still like it though.

Satan tempted Eve to eat the forbidden apple in the Garden of Eden.

This one is basically true, except the notion of Satan wasn't around yet for Genesis, it was only the Serpent that did it. People like to equate the Serpent with Satan and Satan with Evil, so I don't see this as so much of a misquote. If the story is to be believed, then the Serpent was the the first incarnation of evil. (Genesis 3: 1-14)

And, for the Record, the Notion of Zero or Nothingness has been around for at least 5000 years, well before the modern Bible. I went to find a source so you wouldn't have to take my word at it.

The first evidence we have of zero is from the Sumerian culture in Mesopotamia, some 5,000 years ago.

Source

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
what if and barewith me here , we as humans all have that certain stand of DNA or strand within a strand that makes us the sons and daughters of the true supreme intelligence ,now if this segment of DNA is mated with (enginered) distinct alien cultures thru out the universe or galaxy and over time has been introduced to this planet as a genetic storage vault , im thinking one of many thru out the verse and the idea of religion as we know or as its professed to b has been distorted and twisted to fit the will of only the elect elete who are in control of certain knowledge and truths , SO WHAT IF we as humans are the result of genetic experiments by beings that for lack of better went to a cosmic divorce court and we are the children and jehovah(god) and satan(lucifer) are the parents to a degree and the mistrust came when the enginered original eve (Lilith) demanded equallity with adam (adama) first man which was the ones part in the project /chidren/man/ OR vice -versa ya know while we are theorizing .im just sayin certain things kinda add up that way but in a grander design , dont get me wrong i could babble all day long i do believe in right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark, yin and yang, but damn our bickering on this planet looks like amessy divorce makes ya wonder if its not going on out there in the verse ,for eons to boot no less,, thats how the way of humans is designed in original sin,,ahhh who knws ,,,yawn,,, time to astral

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join