It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your corner of the globe what interesting things have happened in your history?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'm from Oroville, CA where the last wild indian walked out of the wilderness in 1911. Ishi.
Wiki - Ishi

We also have the worlds largest earth filled dam. next to the one china's building.
Oroville Dam

the city is next to table mountain, a flat top mesa mountain range.
Table Mountain

I can't help but feel like I live in a special area in the foothills of California. Oroville translates into Gold City in Spanish. Originally a gold rush town north of Sacramento.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Okey dokey, Im from York so will give a brief and incomplete history of my city (would take too long for the area).

71 AD - Romans arrive
208 AD - Roman empire governed from York
306 AD - Emperor Constantius dies in York
- Constantine (he of Christianity fame) proclaimed Emperor in York

nearby at this time:

122 AD - Hadrians Wall built

Back to York:

627 AD - St Peter's School founded - 5th or 6th oldest continuous school in the world.
731 AD - The Venerable Bede's Historia Ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum written (same kingdom)
918 AD - Vikings arrive (Norwegian)
954 AD - Last Viking King of York, Eric Bloodaxe
1068 AD - William the Bastard marches on York, stronghold of the Northern Lords (Anglo Saxons)
1069 AD - Rebellion in York with the aid of King Swein of Sweden leads to the Harrying of the North
1190 AD - Massacre of the Jews - citizens whipped into frenzy by church chastising money lending
1212 AD - King John sells self government to York
1298 AD - King Edward 1 moves government to York (Chancery and Exchequer, most important parts), not back to London until 1304 AD.

1319 AD - Scots attack.
1349 AD - Black Death attacks!
1536 AD - The Pilgrimage of Grace
1586 AD - Margaret Clitherow executed (suppression of the Catholics)
1642 AD - King Charles retreats to York
1644 AD - Civil War siege
1839 AD - Railways established
1840 AD - First York to London railway line established
1916 AD - Zeppelin raids during World War 1
1942 AD - Air raids during World War 2

That is a very brief and totally incomplete history of my neck of the woods!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Thats true im sure he didnt want to get shot
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

hiya nrd101..I know California is beautiful i was out there many years ago with my parents as a kid i also went fishing in Sacramento i don't rember the name of the place but it was weird when you looked over the side of the boat you could see roads and stop signs and some homes so i was thinking it was flooded for some reason maybe for a dam? Peace,sugarcookie1
star for you..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Hi Flavian..
Yorkshire is so full of history id love to go there someday..I cant imagine living in the times of the black death and all the wars and battles..Thanks for the post..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Hi Sugarcookie,

No problem, i totally love my city and its history. All of Yorkshire and, to be honest, Europe is great for history - there aren't many places without a story

Same goes for large parts of the world. Makes me wish we could focus on our shared pasts instead of focusing on modern negativity so much but then im in a dreaming mood today!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Thats why i started this thread so we could share our past what our state was like..sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Well, i've covered the city. If i get a chance, i will do the history of my county today (our counties are the equivalent of your states).

It really is everywhere around here. For example, the next town down the road (population of around 6,000) has an 11th/12th century minster with a lovely stained glass window - donated by the family of George Washington!

If you go for a wander around the Yorkshire Moors, you can almost feel a much older presence - iron and bronze age settlements (some to visit). There is even the remains of an old axe "factory" (for want of a better word) on top of one of the peaks. Bloody bleak up there though and definitely makes you appreciate things like central heating!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Ok, here is a start on Yorkshire:

Evidence for settlement since around 8000 BC, land formerly connected between Germany and East England allowing travelling by hunter gatherers and by retreat of Ice sheets.
Organic remains amongst tools, etc found at Star Carr, dated to around 7000 BC - this is the best known Mesolithic site in Britain. The Vale of Pickering contains West Heslerton where there is evidence of continuous human occupation since around 5000 BC.

Around 3000 BC we have evidence for the first arable farming and domestication of livestock in the county. This was quite an important era around here, with, for example, the erection of the Rudston Monolith - this is the tallest megalith in the UK. There was also the construction of the Thornborough Henges which were a rival to the Salisbury Plains and the most important site between Stonehenge and the Orkneys. For me (self indulgence) the Vale of York was settled around 2300 BC - the area was vastly different to that today with marsh and swamps everywhere. Around 500 BC we see the start of grave mounds containing treasures such as weapons and chariots, horses, ploughs, etc - this is from the Arras culture of the Parisii tribe. There were 3 tribes in the county, the Parisii, the Carvetii and the Brigantes (Cartimandau).
Around 69 AD the 9th Legion moved to Yorkshire to support Cartimandau in the civil war plaguing the Brigantes - Cartimandau was pro Rome, her husband Venutios was pro Britain. Victory for Cartimandau resulted in the end of British rule in England (although not in Britain).
Lead smelting started in the area around 74 AD. By the start of the 2nd Century AD York was the capital of Britannia Inferior and Yorkshire the military hub of the province (keeping the pesky Barbarians away).
By the 5th/6th Century AD the region was settled by Angles and Saxons from the Schleswig Holstein Peninsula (North Germany / South Denmark) and by 600 AD York was established as the capital of Northumbria (as Yorkshire and other counties were then known).
634 AD saw the founding of Lindesfarne Abbey and the rise of Celtic Christianity at the expense of Roman Catholicism - this was resolved at the Synod of Whitby (of Dracula fame) in 663 AD. In 793 AD this religious haven was smashed by the Vikings under Ragnar Lodbrok who were then to remain in the area for a while (after being kicked out a few times). In this part of the world, the Vikings allowed the locals to retain their lands and religions (those not Christian had almost identical beliefs to Vikings with many shared Gods) for an oath of fealty to their new Viking overlords - popular decision round here as they weren't as exploitative as existing anglo-saxon lords!

That will have to do for now but it really is a cool place. There are so many kingdoms in the UK it is no surprise there are still so many regional divisions! We up in the North clearly know we are superior to the rest of the country!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I cannot believe i have made such a glaring omission of the history of York! A proper Homer Simpson moment as it was vitally important in the history of the UK!

1066 AD - Battle of Stamford Bridge - King Harald Vs Harald Hardrada

D'Oh!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I wish i had the money to visit Yorkshire what a wonderful place full of rich history..Have you gone to any of these places to explore? Id be out every weekend going someplace to look at the ruins or just to walk the path of your ancestors
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hi cookie!

I live in the foothills of the Laurel Mountains in Western Pa.
Southeast of Pittsburgh Pa. This area has a rich history in
the development of our country when it was an unknown frontier
being sought and fought over by the French and English during
the 1700's. The enclosed link will give you an overview of the
development of this area. I hope you and others will peruse it
and get a bit of the early history that helped form our
fledgling country in it's early conception. And, of course,
lets not forget the Champion Pittsburgh Steelers and
The Pittsburgh Penquins.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

Hi Leo!
Thanks for posting and the link im going to read it now sorry it took me so long to get back to you i havent checked this thread for a few days ..peace,cookie

top topics

<< 1   >>

join