It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your corner of the globe what interesting things have happened in your history?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
History of your area in the world:

I live in the great state of Minnesota..

Hear is some of the things Minnesota has to offer to history..Of course this is just a few of what my state has to offer..

Minnesota is shaped by its original Native American residents..

The The oldest known human remains were found in minnesota dating back about 9000 years ago

The body of an early resident known as "Minnesota Woman" was discovered in 1931

highly controversial, an inscribed stone known as the Kensington Runestone was found here

Henry Hastings Sibley built the first stone house in the Minnesota Territory

We have the Mayo Clinic the best hospital in the world

Historic Fort Snelling is a great place to learn about military history from before the Civil War through World War II

Split Rock Lighthouse one of Minnesota's best known landmarks

And of course the Mall Of America

That is just a few of the places that makes Minnesota great

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In my corner of the globe this is what transpired in the last week or so.

Federal Government supported illegal suppressing of Democratic protest 8 months after supporting the ones in the Arab world.

Congress getting ready to vote of censoring the internet 8 months after they said it was wrong for Arab countries to do the same.

Congress caught doing insider trading on the stock market that would send the average American to jail for 10 years.

Federal proxy in charge of Freddie and Fannie OKed 100 million is bonuses 2 days after Fannie asked for another 8 billion dollar bail out.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EndGovtCorruption

EndGovtCorruption,Good post but thats going on all over the USA you didn't mention were on the globe your from..Does your state have any history like i put in my thread?
Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Sorry Sugarcookie1, the title had me thinking in global terms not regional.

ummm........ we have the Pittsburgh Steelers here on their way to an 8th Superbowl
~

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EndGovtCorruption

Thats ok EndGovtCorruption
And yay for the Pittsburgh Steelers ..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Come on folks give me a break here ..Eveyrtime i post in BTS i hardley ever get any replys i made this thread easy so the newbies could post and make a few stars and maybe get a few myself
sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My favorite.

The Bluegrass Conspiracy.

This is the story that made me realize that our forefathers were absolutely correct; always keep a vigilant eye on the government. The corruption was deep and widespread, everyone had a price. The operation was nationwide and international. Makes you really think about the abuse of power and corruption that is possible within a government, reminds me of Rome at one time in history.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Im not from Knoxville so i had to go google about this case ..looks like it happened about 25 or so years ago ..Andrew Thornton parachuted to his death in Knoxville while smuggling drugs..Your right corruption is widespread i never have trusted the government and probley never will..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I suppose I should have mentioned it is a book worth reading. The best synopsis of the book I could really find were sites selling the book, and was not sure if I would get my hand slapped or not.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Though I'm not originally from California, I'll tell you about it since it's where I'm living right now.

The California grizzly bear is the official state animal, even though they don't live here anymore...the last one was shot in 1922.

The highest and lowest points in the continental United States are within 100 miles of one another. Mount Whitney measures 14,495 feet and Bad Water in Death Valley is 282 feet below sea level.

In Inyo national forest is the oldest known living tree.
It's named Methuselah and is 4,842 years old. (est germination date, 2832 BC)

In Pacific Grove you can be fined for molesting butterflies

Home to Donner Pass, named after a group of pioneers (the Donner party) resorted to cannibalism in order to survive the harsh winter. Ew.

By the way, you forgot the other great things about Minnesota..

Lakes filled with leeches
Loons (Actually, California has a lot of them too!)
Madison, the self-proclaimed lutefisk capital of the world
Winters that last half the year, Uff da...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Skewed i found a site that sells the book im going to order it..Looks like a good read..thanks ,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

If i could give you 5 stars i would i laughed my head off over the other great things about Minnesota LOL and the best part there all true!

Thats a shame about the grizzly bear make me a bit sad..In Pacific Grove you can be fined for molesting butterflies lol.. Donner Pass yeah that was bad but they had to survive not sure i could have resorted to cannibalism..

Thanks for the post you made my night..star for you
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Iowa is my home and my pride.

Although Native Americans have occupied what is now Iowa for 13,000 years, the written history of Iowa begins with the protohistoric accounts of Native Americans by explorers such as Marquette and Joliet in the 1680s. Until the early 19th century Iowa was occupied exclusively by Indians and a few European traders, with loose political control by France and Spain.

I live in the Quad Cities area which has a rich and colorful history.

Before European settlers came to inhabit the Quad Cities, the confluence of rivers had attracted many varying cultures of indigenous peoples, who used the waterways and riverbanks for their settlements for thousands of years. At the time of European encounter, it was a home and principal trading place of the Sauk and Fox tribes of Native Americans. Saukenuk was the principal village of the Sauk tribe and birthplace of its 19th-century war chief, Black Hawk. In 1832, Sauk chief Keokuk and General Winfield Scott signed a treaty in Davenport after the US defeated the Sauk and their allies in the Black Hawk War. The treaty resulted in the Native Americans' ceding 6 million acres (24,000 km²) of land to the United States in exchange for a much smaller reservation elsewhere. Black Hawk State Historic Site in Rock Island preserves part of historic Saukenuk and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The history of urban settlements in the Quad-Cities was stimulated by riverboat traffic. For fourteen miles (21 km) between LeClaire, Iowa, and Rock Island, the Mississippi River flowed across a series of finger-like rock projections protruding from either bank. These rapids were difficult for steamboats to traverse. As demand for river-based transportation increased along the upper Mississippi, the navigability of the river throughout the “Rock Island Rapids” became a greater concern. Over time, a minor industry grew up in the area to meet the steamboats’ needs. Boats needed rest areas to stop before encountering the rapids, places to hire expert pilots to guide the boat through the rocky waters, or, when the water was low, places where goods could be removed and transported by wagon on land past the Rapids.[6] (Today, the troublesome rocks are submerged six feet underwater by a lake formed by two locks and dams.)

As the Industrial Revolution developed in the United States, many enterprising industrialists looked to the Mississippi River as a promising source of water power. The combination of energy and easy access to river transportation attracted entrepreneurs and industrialists to the Quad Cities for development. In 1848, John Deere moved his plough business to Moline. His business was incorporated as Deere & Company in 1868. Deere & Company is the largest employer today in the Quad Cities.

The first railroad bridge built across the Mississippi River connected Davenport and Rock Island in 1856. It was built by the Rock Island Railroad Company, and replaced the slow seasonal ferry service and winter ice bridges as the primary modes of transportation across the river. Steamboaters saw the nationwide railroads as a threat to their business. On May 6, 1856, just weeks after completion of the bridge, an angry steamboater crashed the Effie Afton into it. John Hurd, the owner of the Effie Afton, filed a lawsuit against The Rock Island Railroad Company. The Rock Island Railroad Company selected Abraham Lincoln as their trial lawyer and won after he took the case to the US Supreme Court. It was a pivotal trial in Lincoln's career.

The Rock Island Arsenal comprises 946 acres (3.83 km2; 1.478 sq mi), located on Arsenal Island, originally known as Rock Island, on the Mississippi River between the cities of Davenport, Iowa, and Rock Island, Illinois. It lies within the state of Illinois. The island was originally established as a government site in 1816, with the building of Fort Armstrong. It is now the largest government-owned weapons manufacturing arsenal in the United States. [3] It has been an active manufacturer of military equipment and ordnance since the 1880s. In 1919-20 100 of the Anglo-American or Liberty Mark VIII tanks were manufactured, although too late for World War I. It is designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Established as both an arsenal and a center for the manufacture of leather accoutrements and field gear, today it provides manufacturing, logistics, and base support services for the Armed Forces. The Arsenal is the only active U.S. Army foundry, and manufactures ordnance and equipment, including artillery, gun mounts, recoil mechanisms, small arms, aircraft weapons sub-systems, grenade launchers, weapons simulators, and a host of associated components. Some of the Arsenal's most successful products include the M198 and M119 towed howitzers, and the M1A1 gun mount. About 250 military personnel and 6,000 civilians work there. The 2000 census population was 145.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
During the Civil War, Arsenal Island was home to a large Union army prison camp for captured Confederate soldiers (the Rock Island Prison Barracks). The island facilities were converted and built in 1863 and was not yet completed in December of that year when the first Confederate prisoners were incarcerated. The construction was make-shift and was built with little notice of prisoners arriving. 468 Confederate prisoners captured in battles at Chattanooga, Tennessee were the first to arrive, although, over 5000 total would swell the population of Rock Island Prison in that month alone. A total of forty one Confederate prisoners successfully escaped during the prison’s existence while many more would try but fail.

A total of 1,964 Confederate prisoners and 125 Union guards are buried in the adjacent military cemetery, including 49 members of the 108th Regiment of United States Colored Troops, most of which died from disease or exposure. The prison camp was operational from December 1863 until July 1865 when the last prisoners were freed and sent home. After the war the prison facility was completely destroyed. During its two years in operation, the prison camp housed over 12,400 different Confederates. Following the war, the government retained ownership of Arsenal Island and used it for various functions.

Palmer College of Chiropractic is a chiropractic school located in Davenport, Iowa. It was established in 1897 by Daniel David Palmer and is considered "The Fountainhead" as it was the first school of chiropractic in the world. For many years, Palmer College of Chiropractic was the world's largest chiropractic school. Most early chiropractic schools were founded by Palmer alumni. The school has traditionally included teaching the subluxation theory within its chiropractic philosophy curriculum.

Famous People
Quad Cities area
WIlliam (Buffalo Bill) Cody - United States soldier, bison hunter and showman.
Bix Beiderbecke - American jazz cornetist, jazz pianist, and composer.

Iowa
Marion Robert Morrison (aka John Wayne)
Tom Arnold - host of The Best Damn Sports Show Period
Johnny Carson - American television host and comedian
Bill Daily - Roger Healey on I Dream of Jeannie
Morgan and Warren Earp - younger brothers of Wyatt Earp
Herbert Hoover - 31st President of the United States
Ruth Crowley (aka Ann Landers)
Cloris Leachman - American actress of stage, film and television.
Jerry Mathers - "Beaver" Cleaver (Leave It to Beaver)
Frederick Louis Maytag I - founded the Maytag Company
Glenn Miller - American jazz musician
Harriet Nelson - "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet"
Ringling brothers - Founders of the Ringling Brothers Circus
Grant Wood - American painter (best known for his painting "American Gothic")

And last, but not least:
James T. Kirk was born and raised in Riverside, Iowa starting in the year 2233

edit: Information provided by Wikipedia
edit on 17-11-2011 by N3k9Ni because: edited for clarity

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Thank you for posting N3k9Ni..Ive never been to Iowa but what a interesting state you live in..The Rock Island Arsenal comprises 946 acres thats one huge place i hope there is lots of jobs at this place..peace,sugarcookie1

star for you

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Sorry i didn't see the second part of your post i must be getting tired its after 1 am here..
I see there is allot of famous people from Iowa
WIlliam (Buffalo Bill) Cody & John Wayne are some of my favorites and of course James T. Kirk

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Thanks. Something that you won't find in Wikipedia is that Al Capone and his cronies used to come to the Quad Cities when things got too hot in Chicago. When I was a kid, I knew an old lady that said she was a waitress during that time and had served them dinner several times.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Thats a neat thing to know Al Capone was a very famous guy and dangerous..The waitress should have got his autograph be worth a fortune now days..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

That would have been neat, but I doubt Al Capone was likely to give away his whereabouts.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Well my little corner of the globe was basically responsible for giving the world well everything really

from penicillin to the television=sorry about that!,we also softened up the English for you for centuries prior to your revolution!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join