It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

www.scientificamerican.com

The European Union on Monday prohibited the use of X-ray body scanners [1] in European airports, parting ways with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, which has deployed hundreds of the scanners as a way to screen millions of airline passengers for explosives hidden under clothing.

The European Commission, which enforces common policies of the EU's 27 member countries, adopted the rule “in order not to risk jeopardizing citizens’ health and safety.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
europa.eu

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Considering how the TSA has been keeping the whole matter low profile, this was a surprise to me.

I hadn't even been aware that the EU was debating the matter.

The TSA "pro position" is here:

The TSA would not comment specifically on the EU’s decision. But in a statement, TSA spokesman Mike McCarthy said, “As one of our many layers of security, TSA deploys the most advanced technology available to provide the best opportunity to detect dangerous items, such as explosives.

“We rigorously test our technology to ensure it meets our high detection and safety standards before it is placed in airports,” he continued. “Since January 2010, advanced imaging technology has detected more than 300 dangerous or illegal items on passengers in U.S. airports nationwide.”

But of course, this is after all, what one should expect to hear. Although 300 'detections' out of millions and millions of travelers over 18 months seems to beg some other questions I'm sure you can think of without prompting.

Kudos to the EU for opting to favor health as a right over fear as a motive....

European countries will be allowed to use an alternative body scanner, on that relies on radio frequency waves, which have not been linked to cancer.

Meanwhile - back in the U.S.

Within three years, the TSA plans to deploy 1,800 backscatter and millimeter-wave scanners, covering nearly every domestic airport security lane. The TSA has not yet released details on the exact breakdown.

Oh my....

www.scientificamerican.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Sooner or later they are just going to ask you to walk through butt naked. I say go for it!! I might get a few phone numbers after my walk through security

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Good to see the EU get something right and ban the scanners.

Maybe theres some hope yet...

Although suspect may also be because europeans travel more than americans do and are a bit more worldly wise realised the scanners cause far more problems than they solve.. And that the health problems caused by the scanners would bankrupt them as healthcare in many parts of europe is government funded.

Either way good show eu in banning the scanners.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
300 is an especially low number if you keep in mind that it is 300 dangerous OR illegal items. So... a bunch of people tried to fly with pot and got caught. Or other items, but I would like to know how many of these "dangerous or illegal items" posed a legitimate threat to other passengers? Pretty sure the number is a whole lot less than 300. I am guessing I could count them on one hand.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladykenzie
300 is an especially low number if you keep in mind that it is 300 dangerous OR illegal items. So... a bunch of people tried to fly with pot and got caught. Or other items, but I would like to know how many of these "dangerous or illegal items" posed a legitimate threat to other passengers? Pretty sure the number is a whole lot less than 300. I am guessing I could count them on one hand.

Your right. Probably the number is zero, because if they had of found anything resembling a terrorist device we would have heard about it as it would be headline news.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Kudos to the EU for opting to favor health as a right over fear as a motive....

European countries will be allowed to use an alternative body scanner, on that relies on radio frequency waves, which have not been linked to cancer.

Except by all the people who think that cell phones cause cancer of cours......oops....

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

These scanners are seriously damaging to your internal organs, you have the right to refuse the scan on Health grounds but would most likely have to undergo a full body search, possibly a cavity.

Dont think I will be going to America and risking a Cavity search any time soon

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stitchsteve626
Sooner or later they are just going to ask you to walk through butt naked. I say go for it!! I might get a few phone numbers after my walk through security

Anything to speed up the boarding process. I am a frequent traveller and don't give a toss for these scanners if it means that things happen quickly. That said, the problem with travelling across the US is the hard-faced officials who should learn to smile.

Regards

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
About time. Huge invasion of privacy, and proven harmfull over time, if used regularly.

I honestly haven't been abroad since these came into use.

I don't mind the odd pat-down... as long as they don't stroke me or grope me in specific areas. But glad this has been done... x-ray machines should be kept for baggage only.
edit on 16/11/2011 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

They grope you now in a very invasive way. I travel now and then. I think they try and guess the weight they are so thorough. Don't know a polite way to say it. The agents look embarrassed mostly, but some seem to enjoy it too much and even get rough in doing it. That's while as a citizen flying inside the US only.

Oddly enough another thread is about they are trying to make it illegal in the UK for people who smoke to smoke in their own cars. SSDD

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Does Barry Obuma get xray scanned at every airport? Do the security men? What if they have guns in an airport?

Of course Politicians and their staff arent terrorists......They just start Wars, then send in other people to fight and die. Gotta love politicians.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If a america citezen
used on of these scanners in shop they have.
the person would sue them.
and win.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Isn't this somewhat ironic since in alot of Europe they have videos cameras set up on every city block?....

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The '300' items is screaming out for a list and I can't find one. Given the lack of headlines or a page on the TSA website, I'm guessing these finds are more embarrassing otherwise they'd be publicising them. Brooches (pins), nail files and heavy belt buckles...probably.

I did find this list and it made me chuckle...things NOT allowed in hand luggage lol

Swords - cutting or thrusting weapons, including fencing foils

Spear Guns

Baseball Bats

Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in.

Gun Powder including black powder and percussion caps

Axes and Hatchets

Cattle Prods

Throwing Stars

Hand Grenades

Tear Gas

Snow globes
TSA - Prohibited Items

I'm glad Europe haven't gone the route of paranoid scanning, but we've probably thought of the prices and we're broke.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Lold rather hard at cattle prod.

I hope we get rid of these scanners here too. Can't be 100% healthy IMO.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Yah, I suppose that all the luggage thrown into the cargo hold is secure, that the maintenance crews are thoroughly screened and the planes themselves haven't gone down for any other reasons since 911 either. How are they going to stop the next terror attack when the "terrorists" come into this country infected with Small Pox? Maybe everyone that wants to fly should be quarantined for two weeks in holding cells at the airport before they are allowed to fly.

I'm with some others that have said that all those security measures that are employed are mostly designed to demean and humiliate one and train the youngsters that their freedoms are defined by intrusion.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
No offense to our friends on the other side of the pond, but how bad are things in the US when Europe starts to look good?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
No offense to our friends on the other side of the pond, but how bad are things in the US when Europe starts to look good?

You are getting completely screwed by your TSA, and we don't want any of that, thankyouverymuch. It is absurd, it is an enormous invasion of your privacy and hasn't helped a bit - way to go, USA..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
They tried these pieces of junk here on Hamburg International Airport (translated by google because I'm lazy, refined by me because ouch-it-hurts-my-eyes):

"On 27 September 2010 began a practice test at the airport in Hamburg, where volunteers could try the new security check. The tests were initially developed in seven months, but were extended by three months in July 2011. According to the Federal Office for Radiation Protection, the tested devices were harmless to health. It turned out that the test equipment offered less security than the traditional method with a metal detector and scanning. In addition, the new devices signaled for sweat stains under the armpits or paper handkerchiefs in the pocket of the passengers as a security risk. This resulted in a manually recheck of many passengers resulting in persistant delays. Because of frequent false alarms (up to 100% ), the body scanner was disabled several times. After analyzing the ten-month trial involving 809 000 volunteer passengers Interior Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich decided in late August 2011 to ban the widespread use of body scanners German airports for now."

Source Wikipedia
edit on 17-11-2011 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join