It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
dom

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Oh, I'm sure the US/UK will end up paying for the military costs, it's just the civilian infrastructure that they might use Iraqi money for. There'd be an outcry if we offset Iraqi money against the missiles we'd used.

It'll be interesting to see if the US manage to get the UN to pay for some of it. I was thinking that this will probably be the next big face-to-face between France/Germany/Russia and US/UK. Basically, why should the UN pay for reconstruction, when the US did the bombing, particularly when the UN won't have a proper role in shaping the new government? So watch out for the new PR spin coming your way... "The French don't care about the Iraqi people, because they won't hand over UN money to help rebuild Iraq"

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The US and the UK won't lose any money. They'll regain everything that they've spent when the oil starts running again.
Deals will be made with US and UK companies that will generate more than enough wealth to cover the costs of the war, looting and rebuilding. Why do you think the US doesn't want the UN involved?
Apart from the fact that the UN doesn't know it's butt from it's elbow (look to Bosnia for an example), if it got to play the major role it would dole out rebuilding contracts internationally. The coalition is not going to sit by and watch the money that it spilt blood for go to the likes of the French. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that money is directly the root of this conflict. I'm of the belief 9/11 was the major cause. But now the issue of money is raising it's head, the US sure isn't going to just dole it around left, right and centre. And why should they? Is it right that countries who opposed the war should make financial gains from it?
As for the bank robbing? It doesn't matter. The Iraqi currency is worthless. For a start every note carries Saddam's head on it. Not exactly anything that the new regime will want to keep in circulation. Then you've got the fact that Iraq still has billions of dollars frozen in overseas accounts. This will go some of the way to getting the new regime up and running. You'll also probably find that the US dollar will be the currency of choice for many Iraqis over the coming months.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
And likewise Dom, why should the French financially benefit from the Iraqis when they choose not to help them?

And there is nothing wrong with Iraqi oil going twards paying for the clean up. You make it sound like it's something inflicted upon them when no one can contest that they wanted this to happen and are forever greatful. The downfall of Saddam's regime if anything is more like a gift to them and now they have access to their money to rebuild what Saddam has taken away from them. The coalition should not even be responisble for policing the cities either as it is up to the Iraqis to run themselves now that they are free. I think it would be morally incorect for the coalition to not help police, which is why they will once the fighting is done, but they are not obligated. And of course if they did that immediately (which would not be possible) the French and others would complain that they are being imperialists.

[Edited on 11-4-2003 by Noone]

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Right now they do not have control of there oil or money.The UN does.Which means new resolutions will have to be made.*sigh*

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
WE control that oil right now, and potential customers control the money....

If the UN doesn't play ball, there is the ability to totally ignore the oil-for-food program, etc. and make it a rebuild money-for-oil program. It's not likely to happen, and a compromise is more likely, but look at the facts....
And the fact is, right now, where Iraqi oil is concerned...we are calling those shots....

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I was listening to the news the other night,according to them,even though we have the oil fields,we can't do a lot with them yet.On top of the UN sanctions against Iraq,France and Russia will veto power over anything we try to do with the oil.Iraq owes them huge amounts of money.Whether any oil deals done with Saddam are valid at this point I'm not sure.
It would be nice if the French and Russians would forgive those debts and let the new Iraqi government start off with a clean slate.But that is about as likely as the French going to war,it 's not going to happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Saddam regime... I'm not so sure they legally stand up now...but I'm no legal expert. Of course, since when have we been concerned with breaking international law to pursue our goals?
We'll do all we can, I'm sure, to see that those who put obstacles in our way, will not now benefit from this war....

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Gazrok

I am not sure I understand your post, so my response may be out of context. One of the things about the new government in Iraq is that there will be no more need for the UN sanctions on Iraq. Had Saddam complied as he promised they would have been lifted long ago and there would have been a lot less suffering.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 10:35 PM
link   
haha gazrok i luv your sig....

i dont know who's forking the bill for this war, but SOME one's out for some loot.... we wouldnt be doin this if no money (or oil) were involved........cause we so...

...SCANDALOUS.......

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As I understand, it several 10s of thousand troops will be sent to Iraq to act as police. What are there today are assigned to fight the war (which for the record has not yet been finished).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join