It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can America Recover?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If history repeating itself has taught us anything, it's that super-civilizations fall. It should be clear that that is what's going on with America. What would it take for us to remain prosperous? Is it even possible?

I see the Occupy protests as an expression of how people are handling America's downfall. It's about the awareness that capitalism is not benefiting us anymore.

Perhaps to remain a thriving nation, we will have to completely re-structure our political and economic systems. At least, that is the only light I see at the end of this downward spiral.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If history has taught us anything, it is that once the decline on a civilization starts, it is very hard to stop.

Sometimes, civilizations come back better than before after the decline, but the decline nearly always takes place once it's started.

The USA can't even admit that it has a problem with spending and entitlements. The decline will probably be slow and gradual, like the Roman Empire, but the final collapse will be spectacular.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
the republic will recover. It will 5 -10 years of hell but she will recover after the collapse of the economy

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I believe America can recover... and No, I do not agree with your premise that Capitalism has failed us.

What has failed us is our move towards secularism. We have lost our morals and moral guidance. There is nothing wrong with succeeding and making money. What is wrong is not giving back, not feeling that you have an obligation to your employees and that employees do not have an obligation to a company... everything has become very mercenary.

America's government has become too big and too regulatory and burdensome. It has created and continues to create hurdles to ingenuity, commerce, individual innitiative, business, and innovation. Frankly, we just need to get government out of the way and let people pursue life, liberty, and happiness without penalty for success and growth.

It really should not be as hard as it is to start a business or to try to make money or try to be innovative. For example, cars get worse gas mileage now than they did 30 years ago because of safety and EPA regulations. I do remember cars in 1980 pushing 40+ miles per gallon. But new regulations killed them. Now, farmers are facing EPA regulations about creating dust during planting and harvest seasons....REALLY? How assinine and stupid....when you plow and the ground is dry, you create dust.... this is the sort of regulations that contributed to starvation in the old USSR.

Government is like a necktie that is worn so tight it becomes a noose.

Also, companies that have been blessed with success in the USA then turn around and piss all over America. They become Global and forget where they came from.

Democracy and Capitalism only work as long as you have a moral and ethical people. When you lose moral guidance, you end up with what we now have.

I don't knwo...maybe there is no hope for us after all.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I'd vote for you for president.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The only way to reverse what's going on is to somehow talk the police and our military to be on our side, the peoples side. Just thinking about it is funny because everyone knows that's about impossible.

We need to take out the elites and have presidents that are NOT puppets.

In conclusion the top of the pyramid needs to be destroyed, completely. I would love to see that happen but it seems to me that America was just a project. The bloodlines came to America, killed all the Native people here, then started AmeriCo. America was nothing but a company project to make the elites as much money as possible. When you have all the money in the world and toys don't make you happy anymore, you look for power. That is where we are headed next.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Best thing to do is pay attention to KARMA and how it works and activities abroad and try to fix with all fairness things negativley effected by the Americanaz influence.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by davereality
The only way to reverse what's going on is to somehow talk the police and our military to be on our side, the peoples side. Just thinking about it is funny because everyone knows that's about impossible.

When you have a large crowd of people protesting people who control the military and that large crowd is by far the majority, it should be obvious who is right. So why would the military protect something that is obviously wrong? Of course, because they are getting paid for it.

And what happened to democracy? Shouldn't there be a vote on the issue at hand?

I think we should, as a country, bring up every law that exists and have a vote on it whether or not to keep it a law. Then we should bring up new ideas and have votes on them.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
If history repeating itself has taught us anything, it's that super-civilizations fall. It should be clear that that is what's going on with America. What would it take for us to remain prosperous? Is it even possible?

Well, one way to think about it -- Spain was the most powerful global empire in the 16th century, then it went through the usual: inflation, corruption, decadence, an out-of-touch government that was complacent and couldn't change with the times, excessive spending and debt, outsourcing of useful industry, even (to Holland, mostly). It declined in the late 1500s and never recovered its previous status on the world stage.

Even so, the average person in Spain today lives a more comfortable lifestyle by far than most Spanish nobles during the "height" of the empire...to say nothing of the peasants, who lived like animals.

So...there is hope. Unless all this turns out to be a one-time, fossil-fueled temporary high to which civilization can never return. I conceede that that is possible.
edit on 11/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

top topics

join