It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mouthwash Targeting Harmful Bacteria May Render Tooth Decay a Thing of the Past

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

New Mouthwash Targeting Harmful Bacteria May Render Tooth Decay a Thing of the Past

www.sciencedaily.com

A new mouthwash developed by a microbiologist at the UCLA School of Dentistry is highly successful in targeting the harmful Streptococcus mutans bacteria that is the principal cause tooth decay and cavities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Dental caries, commonly known as tooth decay or cavities, is one of the most common and costly infectious diseases in the United States, affecting more than 50 percent of children and the vast majority of adults aged 18 and older. Americans spend more than $70 billion each year on dental services, with the majority of that amount going toward the treatment of dental caries.

Well, this is certainly a big hit with Colgate-Palmolive and the patent holders at UCLA. However, I must ask our members if they think as I do, that this might just lead to SUPER tooth decay bacteria which are resistant to the chemicals we will be swishing around in our mouths?

Also, while I expect this will be a "prescription only" thing, at least initially, will this patent ever be allowed to become 'public' so we aren't beholden to a monopoly of commercial control for the stuff?

All in all, I can't say this is at all bad news.... tooth decay is something we should have been able to do away with long ago....

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Interesting find. Now does it only target that one bacteria? Because there is a lot of bacteria in the mouth that helps start digestion and keeps the mouth balanced. If this is more of an antibiotic, I can see how that is a problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
that would take thousand of years, this is just like the anti bacteria pumps.... yeah super resistant bacteria over time... I understand the perscription first... keep bases covered due to mal practice lawsuits.. I could see someone drinking it going blind and suing all in the name of science (rolls eyes)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

tooth decay is something we should have been able to do away with long ago....

Simple, no profits in that.
How long before we here of this scientist "mysteriously" dying? I bet the ADA is not liking this news.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Tin foil much? I don't think so....

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I just hope it doesn't accidentally end up targeting and killing off the useful bacteria in my gut such that I can't drink milk anymore. That would be a bummer.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld
reply to post by Maxmars

tooth decay is something we should have been able to do away with long ago....

Simple, no profits in that.
How long before we here of this scientist "mysteriously" dying? I bet the ADA is not liking this news.

I am not so sure. There is no shortage of people in the US who do not go to a dentist and would rather just let their teeth fall out before doing anything about it.

By developing a product that people would have to buy, and buy, and buy, you maintain your profit. Just like toothpaste.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why are they developing techniques that prevent cavities when they insist on continuing the use of Sodium Fluoride? That's like throwing wet wood on a fire that's being maintained with a flame thrower with the intent of putting out the fire.

I read somewhere I can't recall at the moment that a few types of fish oils have been known to reverse tooth decay, but have been made illegal for some reason. Shocking.
edit on 16-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Why can't we just invent some kind of protective layer for our teeth that the dentist could apply every year or so?
That also would protect against acid from fruit, softdrinks etc..which i believe might be the biggest source of tooth decay of all.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is good thing. But i really hope that it will be prescription only, since without competition from bacteria (bad or neutral) ,fungus can start to fill the gap. Oral candida vs tooth decay is not an easy choice.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Tin foil much? I don't think so....

No sense of humor much? It was a joke.
Cavities = $$ though.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Interesting find. Now does it only target that one bacteria? Because there is a lot of bacteria in the mouth that helps start digestion and keeps the mouth balanced. If this is more of an antibiotic, I can see how that is a problem.

Good Point, but,

From Maxmar's research:

The human body is home to millions of different bacteria, some of which cause diseases such as dental caries but many of which are vital for optimum health. Most common broad-spectrum antibiotics, like conventional mouthwash, indiscriminately kill both benign and harmful pathogenic organisms and only do so for a 12-hour time period.

The overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics can seriously disrupt the body's normal ecological balance, rendering humans more susceptible to bacterial, yeast and parasitic infections.

Shi's Sm STAMP C16G2 investigational drug, tested in the clinical study, acts as a sort of "smart bomb," eliminating only the harmful bacteria and remaining effective for an extended period.

I love mouthwash and rotate them...and all but the "dry mouth" one are broad spectrum

It will definitely be interesting to see how they market this product to the "average" consumer in the future...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I am fairly certain you dont drink mouth WASH

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think it'll hit the market, IF the scientist agrees to make it 40% fluoride.......

Wouldn't want the sheeple waking up AND having healthy teeth!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
And so, the Zombie Apocalypse begins..........
(but with fresh breath)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't think that the American Dental Association would let that happen. Too many dentists would be out of a job.

The idea sounds nice, but I don't know that I believe it would work. Fluoride was supposed to put the dentists out of business years ago, that didn't work out. then they had a polymer coating that would prevent tooth decay, my kids got it, they also got some cavities.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

Why can't we just invent some kind of protective layer for our teeth that the dentist could apply every year or so?
That also would protect against acid from fruit, softdrinks etc..which i believe might be the biggest source of tooth decay of all.

They now apply a sealant to the teen and under crowd's teeth, and have been for quite a while (I have some and I'm no spring chicken!) I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but it definitely shows up on x-rays--

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I think it would work only to a degree like fluoride because a lot of it is genetic.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wasn't this basically the argument used to put Flouride into our drinking water? That doesn't seem to have panned out all that well in the long term. The talk sounds great on the new Mouthwash, but lets come back in about 5 years and see what it's done for people using it regularly. If they aren't growing a 3rd arm, watching their teeth fall out or turn rainbow colors or generally ill beyond all reason...then sign me up for a case of it!

Forgive me for wanting to let OTHER people play guinea pig though. I feel I've served my time in that role just drinking my tap water.
edit on 16-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join