It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compulsory voting, US would be better off?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think we need to have a Three Why System with regards to voting.

I use this test to judge just how far people's working knowledge is, and if their reasons are real or superficial.

Step One - Ask your Question. In this case it would be "Who are you voting for?"

Step Two - Ask them "Why?" until they can't go any further or stop making sense.

If the number is low (say 2 - 3), then they are ill equiped, and should be turned away for general apathy with a swift ruler thwap to the wrists. Catholic School style.

The "Why" System, coming to a county near you!

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
carseller, kinda backing up what I am suggesting there, if it is at a point where you are resorting to openly lying to your peers to stop them voting. (and then considering yourself clever for having done it). I think something needs to be looked at.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
well that might work in australia, but in the USA there would be a group of people saying its against there rights, which it is, but kinda funny as one mans wish is anothers misery

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Just think of it like a seatbelt law, people shouldn't have to be told, but its in everyones best interests that they are.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Compulsory voting is the worst idea since Welfare.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Why Grady? Because you know that there are a whole lot of working middleclass people, minorities, and below poverty level people whose votes would add up to the majority of a national vote almost every time?

[edit on 6-9-2004 by elaine]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't like - at all.

Why should every idiot be forced to vote when they either have no clue about politics or they don't want to.

Remember - not voting can be a form of protest. Why should this right be taken away.

I say, if you don't care enough to vote on your own, then we are better off that you don't vote.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Who says because people DON'T vote they don't want to? Or they're stupid? Maybe some are but not all. Some are very busy working and can't take time to vote. Not all employers are understanding about that.
The day we vote should be made BIGGER. Like the 4th of July. It should be like an earlier posting here on a SATURDAY. Or it should be done on Labour day. Or heck make it a holiday of it's own.
It should made a lot easier and fun to vote. It's crazy to have the vote during the week.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
Why Grady? Because you know that there are a whole of working middleclass people, minorities, and below poverty level people whose votes would add up to the majority of a national vote almost every time?

You can make people vote but you can't make them study the issues. I want to encourage all to vote, but forcing people to vote is just antithetical to the idea of freedom of will that makes America strong.

As for Welfare, if that's what your driving at, that's just too big a can of worms to open in this thread.

[edit on 04/9/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Freedom to vote is also a freedom NOT to vote.

As Grady pointed out you could force them to vote but you cant force them to study the issues.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Which brings us back around to the fact that the issues are always too "muddied" for most people to make sense of. Because of the mudslinging and propaganda politicians like to use to compete with one another...
I'm not opening the welfare issue Grady. At this time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join