It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much do you pay attention to member post count, star/flag count, WATS rank, karma, etc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This site has a lot of bells and whistles.

At first I paid attention to none of it. Just the posts. Because it was too complicated. Then I learned to star and flag, and started looking at the flag counts on certain posts, etc. Then I started paying attention to individual members. A lot of times I look over at a member's join date, post count, and WATS count when I read, not always but maybe with posts that capture my attention. I find that it does impact the way I read posts. I'm not always sure its a good thing, but on the other hand when people make crazy-sounding claims its easier (sometimes) to take them seriously if they have a high post count or WATS rating than if they are a fly-by noob...because you assume somebody who has invested that much time their moniker is not going to jeopardize their rep with stupid trolling. (Maybe not always a safe assumption...)

Anyway, what do you guys think about the "bells and whistles"? Which ones if any do you pay attention to, and why? How does it affect they way you read posts? Good and bad points to this stuff? Just curious how much use other people make of these things.

edit on 12-11-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
i always notice both, but star counts are a bit irrelevant, half the time stars are given due to which side of the fence the poster is given the subject, ie. someone posting an extreme left-wing comment on an extreme right-wing thread will get alot of stars. the other half being whoever gets in the first witty one-liner on a stupid thread.

i like the flag system though, most of the time i wont open a thread unless its got a decent flag/reply ratio.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I read the posts without looking and give flags / stars to those that are interesting or make valid points..

Were I to go just by flags / stars ratings etc.. theres a chance that would miss a comment that adds to the thread or shows an interesting insight as to how people think / view things..

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I look at other's stats occasionally, just the one's you can see below their screen name. I don't think too much about it, unless they have an astonishing amount of S&Fs, then I picture them with 10 tabs open constantly, looking for breaking news before it breaks. I know that's not true, for at least most people, but it still comes to mind.

I don't ever censor myself because I think it will hurt my S&F count. I just say what I think needs to be said. I can then look at my S&F count as a more accurate reflection of my...well, I don't know...people's agreement with my crankiness.
edit on 12-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Hey,Partygirl.
I sometimes look at the "rating",as you will,but the content and the context is more important,in my book.
Hey,some of the most starred most posted members have been banned for stupid things they have done.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I thought I was the only one who thought about that. I am horrible with the names, but remember avatars. I do look at stars and flags, but if I constantly see a member that seems to be causing trouble, I will check their sign up date.

I dont think it matters with many, but there are patterns that you can follow, especially if you frequent certain topics.

I pretty much figured out about 20 members quirks. Just force of habit I guess. If I see a certain topic, and I know a certain member frequents them as "know it all's" I will check it out just for laughs.

Then there are the members that I keep on my friends list, just so that I dont miss their threads. Some are there for their threads, and others out of respect for many of their thoughts and how they share here.

I feel better that I also look into that

I know Ive seen you around
, nice thread S&F.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Personally, I hate math... I mean, I get it... I just hate it (stupid artsy left brain). So the whole WATS index I don't really pay all that much attention to. I once tried to figure out the meaning behind it, and just found a bunch of complex formulas if I remember correctly, though I understand it's purpose.

Here's what I do pay attention to, and it seems to work. Post to star ratio.

I find that people that have really good ratio's, like 2 stars per post or better (yay I fall in that category!) usually have something really worth reading to post. On the opposite side of the coin, I find people that have about a 1:1 ratio to be okay, but nothing too profound. And those who can't get a star for the life of them are usually ignorant fools or trolls.

As for flags, I find it to be nothing more than a good indicator of topics that people in general find important or fascinating. I'm usually looking at the "New Topics" page, and if a post has a lot of flags, I'm more likely to click into it even if the title didn't catch my attention.

Just my 2 cents.

edit on 12-11-2011 by Lighterside because: because I can

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I find it does affect how I take a post. which kinda makes me feel bad because I know it just another number. I don't pay attention to the WATs score, because it confuses me I must admit. The star system is on the unfair side because if you join a thread late in the game, your good, well thought and researched comment may go unappreciated.
S&F for you.
edit on 12-11-2011 by PutAQuarterIn because: reword

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
Which ones if any do you pay attention to

None at all, just the content of the post itself.

Its always possible that a "respected" member with lots of stars and flags is having an off day, or made a mistake, or simply doesnt know much about that specific issue that is being discussed at the time.
Or is drunk.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I pay attention to them now, however, they play no part in how I choose to comment one way or another. Heck I'm still trying to figure out where the Wats & Karma comes from

Nice OP

ETA
Forgot to Star n Flag you

edit on 11/12/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Oh,yes the good ol' drunk rant I know more than you post.
I think I have done one or two,I just don't remember.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I pay attention to the person more so than the rankings, because a lot of people with high rankings have been exposed in the past for a variety of dishonest things.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I do sometimes not read massive walls of text if it is from somebody with ridiculously bad s/p ratio. I'll think about reading it if they have average, and probably would read every last word if it was from a member who is obviously respected.

Personally I think it's silly to have the P/S stuff, but it does motivate people to put effort into their posts, even if it's just a bit.
edit on 12-11-2011 by ShedAlert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
none what so ever.

How many numbers one has next to his/her name has absolutely no co-relation to the wisdom or knowledge base that one has.
edit on 12-11-2011 by occrest because: replied to the title before reading the post. (oops)

edit on 12-11-2011 by occrest because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2011 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I actually start reading first. Depending on my reaction and/or interest, is what determines if I look at the stats it seems.

If I'm reading a post and find that it is going down hill, I look over to see if I should keep reading or not. If the stats are high, I'll give it another chance but if they're low and the member has been here for awhile, there is usually a reason..

NOT always tho.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I pay attention to S @ F if I just read
a post from someone that I don't know
or someone I have just seen around
recently. Especially if the post is interest-
ing.

Also some of us practically live here
while others can't or don't spend as
much time at ATS. Naturally their
posts and star counts will be lower.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
im a bit of a noob but how does the karma and wats points system work? thanks!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kronix
im a bit of a noob but how does the karma and wats points system work? thanks!

Well,it's either this.......

P = # of posts you've made
F = # of flags people have given the threads you've started
S = # of stars people have given your posts
W = # of people who you think are Wankers here on ATS
K = # of Kangaroos saved by your insights here on ATS

Or this........

P= Number of posts you have made
F= Number of flags your threads have recieved
S= Number of stars you have received for your posts
W= Wats Index, This is an odd one its kind of a valuation of everything youve contributed on this website, the higher it is the more usefull you are as in information provider sort of thing
K= Karma, This is also odd, its like a valuation of the quality of your postings here on ats

Or,none of the above.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Don't care about stars.
Don't care about flags.
I click on subjects that sound interesting. I rarely post, more of a reader/lurker

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I look at some posters stars, posts, and join date and think....damn, get out more.

Some people seem to spend their entire life on here, people who joined 2 months ago with a 3000 post count. Thats dedication lol.

I often pay little attention to these people, as its clear they think they know everything, about everything (thats my opinion). Apart from that they dont really catch my attention that often.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join