It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You On This Veterans Day and Every Day.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In the U.S. today is Veterans day.

Veterans Day, formerly Armistice Day, is an annual United States holiday honoring military veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It is coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

The holiday is commonly printed as Veteran's Day or Veterans' Day in calendars and advertisements. While these spellings are grammatically acceptable, the United States government has declared that the attributive (no apostrophe) rather than the possessive case is the official spelling.[1]

wiki

Now I just wanted to start this thread and say thank you to each man and woman currently serving, those who have served and of course those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

We know that not everyone agrees with military, wars, etc. However this thread isn't about that. I simply and respectfully ask that if you choose to participate simply leave your well wishes and thoughts and leave the negativity for another day and another thread.

So, with that being said, Thank you troops and God Bless

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Well deserved thread for ALL Veterans!

Thank you for posting this,and for those on ATS,thank you for your relentless service !
edit on 10-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Here here.. I'll second that.

My sincere thanks to every member of every branch of the armed services. You guys rock

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Star and flag

Thank you Vets for all you do!!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I wonder how long until some tool posts on this thread that the vets are all baby-killers and murderers.

Hope everyone has a good Veterans Day.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

I appreciate your reply, but the negative part of it was exactly what I was hoping we could leave out of this thread.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

My Grandfather walks around with two bullets lodged in his back,from Korea.94 years old,and still pinches the girls,when he goes to the VA.

If he wouldn't have made it back,I wouldn't be here. Those Marines who helped him, God Bless.

Really,Thank you.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I found this tribute song to those men and women who help us and I thought I would share it.

youtu.be...

Was very heart warming

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Thank you for this thread, OP.

I want to take this opportunity to toast my fellow veterans.

To those that are currently in service and those that have served.
To those that have fought and returned; those who have fought and died.
Whatever country you may be from.
My fellow veterans, I salute you.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I salute all people who have gone to war - even though war is wrong.

I salute all decorated heroes.

I salute all you guys who have fought for your country.

Even though fighting your own race is insane.

Don't we have enough to worry about without killing our own kind?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
My father (Vietnam) was Army. And regardless of where my brother and I were stationed, regardless of familial issues, he would always call us and thank us.
Veterans' Day (for us) was always a quiet acknowledgment of the duty and sacrifice and bond that we all share.

To my brothers and sisters, I wish you nothing but peace and happiness and thanks for your honor, duty, sacrifice.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise
I wonder how long until some tool posts on this thread that the vets are all baby-killers and murderers.

Kinda already happened this morning when someone created a thread about the same thing, but catering towards more Australia - and someone piped up complaining that they thought that was what Anzac day was for, when we have a day to remember the government sending troops over seas to kill other people...

Best to just ignore them, and not let them sully the day.

Lest we forget.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
My favorite bumper sticker is relevant here...

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
Because its written in English, thank a veteran.

Thinking of both my grandfathers

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
In memory of friends who didnt make it back..

Rest in peace brothers..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
As a Veteran myself, I can say with honesty that we do not do this for gratitude, though it is appreciated. You're welcome.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by signal2noise

Kinda already happened this morning when someone created a thread about the same thing, but catering towards more Australia - and someone piped up complaining that they thought that was what Anzac day was for, when we have a day to remember the government sending troops over seas to kill other people...

Best to just ignore them, and not let them sully the day.

Lest we forget.

Well the fact that both are part of Australian tradition and whoever that tool was who posted what you've mentioned shows that the person can't be all that bright. I hope the tool was ignored.

Anyway. Good on you U.S . Regardless of the debates that go on on ats in regards to who's who in the zoo one thing Aussies know is that we've always fought side by side.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Why thank you and you are welcome.

All though i guarded check points and did patrols I really was not keeping America safe. I was wasting my time, yeah not all vets feel the same way but I think many may agree we are not heroes at all. At least not since WW2 or should i say the Korean war have we fought a righteous war . I feel we were just cannon fodder or disposable heroes. But a salute to all vets alike ... War Sucks!

Now we must fight this new war for our freedoms here in America, after all we sacrificed they don't care about us. The power brokers used us!

So there will be no celebration here

Salutes Dad RIP

My Uncles RIP

See you when i get there

edit on 11-11-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It's good to see a well meaning thread these days.
Thanks to all veterans, family and friends.
In all wars, in every base, all across the globe.
I may not agree with the funding but the people fighting may not know the truth.
So I give them upmost credit and respect for doing things most people wouldn't dream of.

Elevatedone, I appreciate the good comments.
(but the Steelers still suck....and you can't kick me off ATS
)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I have no doubt that this topic will draw the ire of some people. I fully understand and respect that point of view, but I see things a bit more concilliatorily myself.

While I too oppose war and wish people did not choose to take part in them or feel that they were necessary (just being honest,) and while I would and could never take part in one myself, I still have gratitude and respect for soldiers. I will explain why.

For the same reason I am grateful for and respect police officers despite some of them exercising abuses of power, I do not loathe or hold enmity for soldiers just because of a policy or a conflict I disagree with being executed by them. I may not personally agree with how their spirit of sacrifice manifests specifically, I do honor and hold gratitude and respect for that spirit itself, for their sacrifices, and the sacrifices of their families.

So to you who serve I say: thank-you for your service and your sacrifices, and for those of your families. I honor the spirit of sacrifice which calls you to duty, even if I don't personally agree with the way it works or the results necessarily.

I hope that's a fair and reasonable way of opposing war while also thanking and respecting vets. (Though I’m still sure someone somewhere will take issue nonetheless. All I can do is be honest.)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Thanks to all my brothers and sisters who are or have sacrificed their time for the service of our country, even when the circumstances have been questionable. I am a vet. Following orders to fulfill a commitment when you don't completely agree with the politics of a situation is honorable. Giving the ultimate sacrifice of life is honorable to the highest degree. If the intention of the soldier is honorable then so is the sacrifice even if the bigger picture doesn't appear to be of equal value. I will be spending my veteran's day working 15 hours at our local hospital helping others. It's what I do to earn my bread every day. I just came off of 15 hours. Hoping for peace in our future. Make it a great day, people. Peace, and hair grease. Regards...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join