It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airship reaches 95,000 ft

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdguy
So with all of the worlds space agencies relying on
rockets and serious tech etc., these guys are planning on
reaching low orbit by balloon.
And much cheaper too at only $30,000 so far lol.
I have heard about this concept before, what do you guys
and gals think? Will we be able to leave earths atmosphere
with this simple age old tech?
Sorry if this has already been posted, I just came across this
and thought it was interesting.

www.skynews.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-11-2011 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2011 by weirdguy because: I can't spell

I think, we will not be able to leave the atmosphere, because as pressure decreases, the balloon will expand till it pops.

Might have some commercial value as a cheaper means of giving people a near orbit view. I'm not going without an oxygen source and 2 parachutes.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalebRight14
I think, we will not be able to leave the atmosphere, because as pressure decreases, the balloon will expand till it pops.

not if you make it strong enough - but you only get lift from a balloon when it is less dense - "lighter" than the volume it displaces - it has bouyancy.

In space there is no bouyancy - the volume displaced "weighs" nothing!

so no balloom will ever raise to "space" if you define space as an effective vacuum - indeed even long before then the size of a balloon required to give lift will become so large that the weight of the envelope will be more than it can lift.

Might have some commercial value as a cheaper means of giving people a near orbit view. I'm not going without an oxygen source and 2 parachutes.

A balloom is almost a parachute already
But f'shur u need some O2

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Having worked on the preliminary development of this project, I can say that it is/was Never the intention to simply "Float" all the way to space.

The Tandem was a demostrator; a "Proof of Concept" vehicle designed, primarily to test components and design theories which will be incorporated into the program's more sophisticated vehicles later on.

Tandem was also somewhat of an "IN YOUR FACE!" shot at the military and large government aerospace contractors like Boeing.

That the Tandem successfully flew to 95,000FT, un-manned, under full control; was able to fire up, and fly, using its own propulsion system (independent of the prevailing winds aloft); and do it ALL for about the same cost as a well-equipped Toyota, is an undeniable counter to the military-back government-contractor produced airships; which have taken decades to design, cost millions (if not Nillions) to develop, and so far have only just begun to fly...At significantly lower altitudes!

Ultimately, the "Airship-to-Orbit" vehicles will be "Hybrid" Airships: Although they will use lifting cells filled with helium (or hydrogen) to achieve their initial "insertion" altitude, above an altitude of about 140,000FT or so they will draw upon their unique design features to develop aerodynamic lift to, at first, augment the dwindling lift provided by the gas cells, and then completely supplant that lift as the thin atsmosphere gives way to the vacuum of space.

The big V-ships will be using not only highly effecient Ion thrusters for propulsion into space (Ion thrusters would not work in the denser atmosphere of lower altitudes), but also boundary surface-layer air-flow control to reduce drag and increase aerodynamic efficiency.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join