It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Note to crooks- Dont't rob people when MMA fighters are around haha

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Don't rob at all actually, but I thought this was pretty cool. Apparently this guy was trying to rob the clerk at the hotel where these men were staying, and well, he got a lot more than he bargained for.

Its good to know that there are still some good guys out there.

Brent Alvarez runs Twisted Web MMA in Eugene, Ore., and Billy Denney is his student. They were walking through the hotel lobby when they saw the robber, who had gone behind the hotel's counter, pulled out a gun, and demanded money. The clerk handed over the cash, but yelled for help. Alvarez and Denney jumped on the robber, and while Denney controlled his wrists, Alvarez sunk in a rear naked choke. They held him in place until police arrived.

Alvarez is 2-2 in amateur bouts, while Denney is 7-2. According to the Twisted Web Facebook page, Denney took third at the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation no-gi worlds. (In no-gi, participants wear a rash guard or no shirt instead of the traditional martial arts uniform of a gi.) Alvarez went 1-1 in his fights. No matter their results, I have a feeling that Denney and Alvarez will remember this trip to L.A. for something other than the tournament. Kudos to them both for being brave and using martial arts to do more than win a match.

clip with video - sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

I gotta say it's actually sad to hear this guy needed the money for his daughter, I honestly think I would of "accidentally" let him go.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Two weeks ago there was a "polite" robbery where a man said his daughter was in a local hospital with a head injury and he needed the cash to pay the hospital bills. After he left, police made inspections at hospitals within a 250 mile radius and not one young female at the time was awaiting surgery due to a head trauma.. the guy lied .. no daughter, no head injury to pay for .. probably just needed cash for a fix.

Never assume a robber is telling the truth with his sad story .. I could rob a bank and say I want the money to support kittens in the humane society. Doesn't mean I'm going to.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Thats what I woulda said to try and get away! Yes....my......daughter..........

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Kudos to them!

As much as I think their actions were absolutely commendable, calling them "Heroes" (like in the news clipping) seems a bit much in my opinion. The guy had grabbed the money and was on the way out when they grabbed him.

But as I said, I don't want to put down their actions, and I completely support what they did.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The poor crook, speaking from personal experience having trained previously in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu/MMA (Western Boxing/Muay thai) rear naked chokes absolutely SUCK to get caught in! It's claustrophobic and there is no way out once someone 'get's the hooks in' (legs hooked on opponents).

Serves him right, I bet if this were the norm there would be far less robberies and would be a very effective deterrent!

Good on those guys!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

yeah, but this guy was begging them to let him go, not all people rob for gain.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

he didn't just say it he begged.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by clintdelicious

he didn't just say it he begged.

You would too if you were in a rear naked!

P.S love your signature- Brother Ali's dope, Shadow's On The Sun was ill to extreme.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I gotta say it's actually sad to hear this guy needed the money for his daughter, I honestly think I would of "accidentally" let him go.

BS. You dont rob a hotel clerk at gunpoint for food money. I could think of a lot easier ways to obtain bread. perhaps a even asking someone or going to shelter for it. Those guys responded in the most dignified way and I applaud them. great example for other mma fighters as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
lol going to a shelter or just asking random ppl for money hu lol
talk about sheltered lifes

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

It wasn't for food, I don't understand why it's so hard to believe this man daughter was ill, hungry, etc, and him being unable to help her drove him to steal, you would too if you couldn't help someone you love.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It wasn't for food, I don't understand why it's so hard to believe this man daughter was ill, hungry, etc, and him being unable to help her drove him to steal, you would too if you couldn't help someone you love.

Hmmm.. There is no right way, to do the wrong thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

Hmmm.. There is no right way, to do the wrong thing.

Then perhaps there is a wrong way, to do the right thing?

Sometimes people get it wrong, when forced to.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
like someone else said, the guy probably said it to get someone to feel sorry for him, personally, i dont care, he held up someone with a weapon, he gets what he deserves

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It happened before...Jon "Bones" Jones is also a crime fighter

Jon Bones Jones a hero in and out of the cage

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...

In a similar vein

"Damn, that there is one dangerous curb."

M.

top topics