It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Job Applications Dumped On 'Occupy' Protesters By Chicago Board Of Trade

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

business is going to be very, very good in the world of contracting classified as private defense.

the joke is, if the ones that own dont share with the ones that dont, they need more private protection to keep what they own.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by bekisu

Wow...how rude.

Generally speaking, the average person has little respect for the OWS crowd.

So everyone's supposed to go work at McDonalds flipping burgers, this will solve ALL of our problems, yeah right.

No. But it is a start.

What can you do? Do you know how to weld? Are you intuitive with computers and computer systems? What trades or other knowledge/skills do you have to put to work for your own betterment (be it employment elsewhere or self-employed?)

It is no one's responsibility, but your own, to find you a job that matches your skills/trades and career satisfaction (as well as living expenses). That's yours.

First, a job that forces you to choose between paying rent and eating isn't much of a job, imo. At best, it's a supplement. It's great if you want to supplement your income, however, as is the case with many people, it's all they have. What's worse is many people are qualified for better paying jobs, but there's next to nothing out there. Sure you might have an interest in computers, but do you think any company will hire you if you don't have that piece of paper that says you know what you're doing? Then the bitter irony is that when people put in the work to get that mythical piece of paper, and they still get nothing.

I'm a business owner, I support OWS. If people don't have money to spend, my business isn't bringing in any money.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think the point they are making, is that young people in general are without jobs because they are way too picky, i.e they wont sweep floors or flip burgers, until the right job comes along, they walk out of university expecting a well paid job waiting for them and thats not real life and never has been.

Why should everyone else foot the benefits/social bill for all these work-less snobby grads that aren't prepared to get there hands dirty with some work experience, they may find they even enjoy it.
edit on 6-11-2011 by technologicalsingularity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Even though it clearly shows how they think about the unemployed (some highly educated), i can still see the humor of this tbh.

Probably just some office-fonzie showing off to the office-blondies.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
My following comment doesn't necessarily reflect those in NY or unemployment, but you'll get the point.

Last week someone went into cardiac arrest from a heroin overdose at Occupy Vancouver. Made the news.
This morning I woke up to this:

Occupy Vancouver Death Dooms Protest

In the beginning I was and advocate for this cause. Still am. But in light of what happened here, and that's two overdoses in as few as a couple of days, they have blown their cause to kingdom come. Time for them to go home, or lack of thereof. When I see a protester in their early 20's with a bull's ring through the nose fighting off reporters and yelling they will never go, I'm turned off.

edit on 6-11-2011 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I dont understand, are you saying that food service employment is beneath you?

I worked in food service when I was in high school. I don't think it's beneath high-schoolers. I don't think it's beneath people looking to supplement their income. However, I'm not in high school, I am a business owner. And yes, I think food service is beneath me. I also think it's beneath anyone who is trying to pay rent, bills, cost of living, and raise a family. I think it's beneath the people who have put hard work into bettering themselves so they can find a decent job, only to find all that is available is working for that god forsaken awful clown.

I have news, there is no shame in honest work. I would not hesitate to take a job in the service industry to provide for my own if it were all the work I was qualified to perform.

I agree there's no shame in honest work. McDonalds is not honest work, it's a joke. Go see if you can live comfortably on 7.65 an hour. Most of the people in the OWS movement are overqualified for work at McDonalds and the like.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekisu

Originally posted by popsmayhem
It is a joke people!!

Don't take it too serious, OWS protesters
should be able to take a joke.

Hey, it might even of helped a few people
that need a job, flipping burgers or whatever
a jobs a job.

It's a joke yes...but a bad one. The irony is there, but it's in poor taste, and undermining what these people are trying to do.

Of course some people would consider it in bad taste. And of course it's meant to undermine "the other". That's what jokes are quite often.

I imagine the suits said the same thing when Abbie Hoffman threw the dollar bills on the trading floor.

Both made me laugh. And I support OWS.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
reply to post by bekisu

I wonder if they would think it was still funny if people started boycotting McDonalds? I don't eat there anyway, but it just might send a message to them...

TOTALLY agree there besides I can make mac sauce (And I use grade A Beef for the hamburgers) F#&( McDonald's Boycott all those fast food freak farms, as well as boycott WALLY Mart and circuit city/best buy radio shack, boycott all major food chains and stores...buy local!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Bad idea considering the hygiene at OWS no way in hell would i want to eat a #3 from MCD knowing they don't shower.

Yes that was evil!
edit on 6-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by princessgrey
Why wouldn't they get a littering citation or ticket?

Honestly how would anybody notice?

edit on 6-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

To the Chicago Board of Trade building, way to show the world that you just don't get it and just how ignorant you really are.

If you really think that they are all unemployed, then you are too stupid to have a voice in this....

Grow up, educate yourself and quit showing off your lack of intelligence.

Signed, common sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Bad idea considering the hygiene at OWS no way in hell would i want to eat a #3 from MCD knowing they don't shower.

Yes that was evil!
edit on 6-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Thats a joke right? Hard to tell on the internet sometimes....

If not.....

My previous reply can go for you to...

Political blinders.... take them off already.
edit on 6-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What? where are the recycling bins?

Thought they were trying to save the planet as well?

Hmmm.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity
I think the point they are making, is that young people in general are without jobs because they are way too picky, i.e they wont sweep floors or flip burgers, until the right job comes along, they walk out of university expecting a well paid job waiting for them and thats not real life and never has been.

Why should everyone else foot the benefits/social bill for all these work-less snobby grads that aren't prepared to get there hands dirty with some work experience, they may find they even enjoy it.
edit on 6-11-2011 by technologicalsingularity because: (no reason given)

Or they're too thoughtful for others to actually work at and support a restaurant that uses so many preservatives that even bacteria won't touch the stuff? There was a thread not so long ago that had a burger & fries left out for 180 days with barely any signs of decomposition. As I recall, the thread author or source stated "even the bacteria are smarter than us humans"!

There's nothing demeaning about sweeping a floor, or good honest labour however. I have five years cooking experience, but I won't touch a fast food restaurant application nor eat there often : too risky. Nor would I work at WalMart and support slave labour wages in poorer countries. Won't shop there, won't work there. The only way we're going to send the proper message to unethical corporations is to hit them where it matters to them, in the pocketbooks. If we don't support Pepsi-co for a year, that beast will fall, etc, and once the giants have fallen we may have a better hope of opening up the market from the monopolies on a health-first, good business ethics-first basis. We really need to watch what we support at the grass-roots level.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Dropping those applications on OWS is equivalent to the Chicago Trade Building calling these people peasants! Saying they are not worth anything but an undignified, unbenefited, part-time minimum wage job serving other poor peasants who can't afford to eat fancy organic home-grown healthy food, so that all the peasants end up unhappy and unhealthy while the CEO's of McDonalds and other Fast Food places take billions in bonuses from the peasants continual degradation!

The oligarchy needs to stop using our menial labor to give themselves bonuses while treating us like peasants and making it our fault that we are poor! Face it, if you are on this site, you are almost certainly poor in their eyes, and they want you to work at McDonald's so that McDonald's upper management can reap the profits of "A billion burgers sold" while treating the workers like peasants who don't deserve benefits, rights, or dignity, or even full time work - part time is all that is worthy of us peasantry.

But then they spin it, and make us turn on each other - calling people who will not degrade themselves to McDonald's "lazy" because we think that, as humans, we are worth dignified, real work, work that is healthy not just in the body but in the soul, work that enlivens us and brings us to our full potential. All the people who are not taking McDonald's jobs are actually lazy, and they don't know anything about what it means to truly work hard and earn money! All those trade investors had to "take risks" and they come in the office "at 5 in the morning" and don't leave til "5 at night" and they are so, so hard working, and OWS is just so lazy that they don't know what it takes to get money!

I'll tell you what it takes to get money - you get born with it. The trade investors are the lazy ones! They were born rich, they never had to worry about money, the reason they were able to make investments in the first place is because they HAD THE MONEY to make that first investment! They never had to look at their bank account and see that unfortunate "0" and think "How am I going to feed my children tonight? Tomorrow?" Their lucky parents never had to worry about their children having nothing! These trade investors were born lucky, with a fat silver spoon right on their tongue, and NEVER had to do real work. These people NEVER started at McDonald's and they never would, and if you think they would, you are just buying into their manipulative tricks! The lazy ones aren't the peasants, it is them! But the oligarchy continues to turn us against each other, making us think that those who will not take undignified, inhumane jobs are lazy!

I am not a peasant!! I will not allow them to treat me like a peasant and tell me that because I don't have money in my bank account from birth that I am not fit for higher level jobs and higher level income! I will not let those who start with money control me! There are many more issues than "OWS is too lazy to work." In fact, the issue is that the laziest are the highest level, who never have to work to have money because they are born with a silver spoon in their mouth and then treat everyone else who works at menial jobs like McDonald's, day in, day out, no benefits, no vacation, like unworthy peasants!! I AM NOT A PEASANT! This oligarchy has to end!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

the joke is, if the ones that own dont share with the ones that dont, they need more private protection to keep what they own.

"If you don't share with me. I am going to beat you up."

Gotcha.

You wouldn't have to pay me to take out elimination contracts on people of that mentality. It qualifies as community service.

reply to post by bekisu

First, a job that forces you to choose between paying rent and eating isn't much of a job, imo.

That's your opinion.

The fact is - it is income. I can afford to pay my bills and eat on 40 hours at a notch above minimum wage. My main problem right now is not being able to get enough hours. Otherwise - the pay is fine for my living expenses.

Now, the fact is I live in a trailer with two room mates (who also pay to cover rent and utilities) and I can't afford to eat out any time I want to - but I can put away into savings, and the Reserves helps when I can roger up for deployments and other areas where my pay, literally, triples.

At best, it's a supplement. It's great if you want to supplement your income, however, as is the case with many people, it's all they have

Great if you want to supplement your income? If I've got time to spare and income to supplement - I'm not going to do it with a near-minimum-wage investment. I'd seek out a hobby type income or do home-calls for computer/network service (or something applicable to another skill set).

What's worse is many people are qualified for better paying jobs, but there's next to nothing out there.

I don't understand. You are qualified for work... and yet you require someone to give you work?

Sure you might have an interest in computers, but do you think any company will hire you if you don't have that piece of paper that says you know what you're doing?

I have a reputation in the town for being something of a magician when it comes to computers and solving problems people have with them. I've taken requests for help and monetary offers to compensate my time (or, sometimes, just a meal or something with the family).

I can also draw up and/or read schematics/blue-prints/engineering diagrams and read the instructions on how to use many different types of machinery that you can pick up for below-scrap prices at auctions.

All I need is a few people willing to take a little bit of a step of faith and we could put together a business doing something... until some alphabet soup shows up to seize assets due to a failure to comply with regulations lobbied for by large businesses and enabled by the belief that government must protect people from business (ironically).

Then the bitter irony is that when people put in the work to get that mythical piece of paper, and they still get nothing.

College has become an insult to intelligence.

I can't count the number of people with Bachelor's degrees who couldn't find their ass with both hands and a flashlight - let alone demonstrate proficiency in the field of their degree.

It really only begins to amount to a statement at a Master's or PhD. Even then - I've encountered a disturbing number of PhDs spouting absolute nonsense that I find offensive to the intelligence of human beings.

I'm a business owner, I support OWS. If people don't have money to spend, my business isn't bringing in any money.

If people aren't doing anything that benefits you (or the rest of society) - then you have no reason to offer your business services to them, as they, ultimately, have nothing to exchange.

Money has evolved as a way of 'measuring' ones contribution to society. High paying jobs, typically, require skills, experience, or intuition that is rare among the work-force. They contribute by helping to improve the efficiency and efficacy of other people's labor and other efforts.

People should not seek to do what "just anyone" can do (or will do). People should seek to do what others cannot - that is what drives the economy and society forward. People who can do this are often compensated by employers (or by the market) with higher income - which translates to more one can purchase from others (you are compensating them for their efforts).

Money is just a medium. The real resources are skills, knowledge, and willingness/drive to put those to use. Capital investment certainly helps - but is not absolutely essential.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

what's with things being dropped on Occupy Chicago lol, this is like the 3rd time. Still, very funny... a little rude, sure, but funny too.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

If you don't share with me. I am going to beat you up.

no, more desires of the poor lets them steal. and if those who own dont want to share, their ruthlessness and carelessness will make their souls ugly.

edit on 6-11-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

The member who quoted McD's offer of 50,000 jobs in April, to which a million applicants responded, means that there were 20 applicants for each job! Before that April offer, according to Jeff Rense's website, there were 100 applicants for each job available.

According to the book Fast Food Nation, a fast food job is one of the top 10 dangerous jobs in this country, right up there with the police & soldiers, because of the fact that they deal for the most part in cash only & are open 'til late at night. That makes the insult to the protesters even worse.

Many private student loans have been taken out by many people, protesters included. How on Earth is anyone going to pay back the banks that gave out these loans? One would think that the so-called "elites" would keep that in mind. Do they really think up there at the top that they already own everything & everybody?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

no, more desires of the poor lets them steal. and if those who own dont want to share, their ruthlessness and carelessness will make their souls ugly.

What are you talking about?

Your life is yours and no one else's. Plain and simple. Every choice you make is your own. The choice to steal is the choice to steal. The choice to kill is the choice to kill. The choice to intimidate is the choice to intimidate.

This fixation with what another person owns has infected and festered in our nation and resulted in this egotistic view that wealth implies liability to a lack of wealth.

It is the mentality that: "If you own more than me, you should share it with me - because you don't really need it."

Quite frankly - I really don't care what someone else thinks is theirs. Had I the capability to leave this planet, I would. It is full of too much stupidity and grab-assery. However - I'm here, and don't yet have the ability to go where my heart desires... and really do not relish the idea of our country being dominated by those who are fixated on the possessions and choices of another person.

It is self-centered, self-righteous male bovine fecal matter.

Yes - there are people and businesses in this world who take advantage of others. Be aware. Nothing you say or do is going to change the fact that there are and will always be people waiting to con you.

But to be fixated on what another person owns is a toxic way to live and act.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join