It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rover spots the 'new thing' on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Then we can send a factory ship and begin mining operations, men even.

I am afraid that science and exploration and discovery will come first.

There are some dicey legal implications contained in a certain "Space Treaty" of note (will try to find link) (**). There will, one day, be much legal wrangling if, and when, some company or consortium makes the investment into actual resource and raw material acquisition.

(**) Links [2]:

The Outer Space Security and Development Treaty of 2011

And, an older version (from 1967):

TREATY ON PRINCIPLES GOVERNING THE ACTIVITIES OF STATES IN THE EXPLORATION AND USE OF OUTER SPACE, INCLUDING THE MOON AND OTHER CELESTIAL BODIES

(Typical over-verbiage of Washington documents ^ ^ ^ ^)

The economics of it seem, though, to indicate that it is a long, long way off in the future.

In fact, I'd suggest that asteroids are a more feasible alternative, in the future...before Mars. It will have to do with the expenditure of energy to lift off the planet (Mars) compared to the much lesser gravity of a much smaller body, like an asteroid. And, few people will have an emotional attachment to a lump of rock, as compared to an entire planet, with all the lore and romance it brings.
edit on Sun 6 November 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Judging by all observers on this it is or could be an actual colonisation of sed planet.................plus Anannuki hitin earth,Niburu,ww3.Iran gettin attacked...srry that may happen.Or just wishful thinking that we might actually just do something worth while.STILL;never mind eh!
Sorry Annanuki invading earth.Still them nice chaps from Asgard will help us................Inner earth pole etc.
edit on 6-11-2011 by EGH123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EGH123

Judging by all observers on this it is or could be an actual colonisation of sed planet.................plus Anannuki hitin earth,Niburu,ww3.Iran gettin attacked...srry that may happen.Or just wishful thinking that we might actually just do something worth while.STILL;never mind eh!
Sorry Annanuki invading earth.Still them nice chaps from Asgard will help us................Inner earth pole etc.

Ps Normaly i talk ballocks.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by intrptr

Then we can send a factory ship and begin mining operations, men even.

I am afraid that science and exploration and discovery will come first.

There are some dicey legal implications contained in a certain "Space Treaty" of note (will try to find link) (**). There will, one day, be much legal wrangling if, and when, some company or consortium makes the investment into actual resource and raw material acquisition.

(**) Links [2]:

The Outer Space Security and Development Treaty of 2011

And, an older version (from 1967):

TREATY ON PRINCIPLES GOVERNING THE ACTIVITIES OF STATES IN THE EXPLORATION AND USE OF OUTER SPACE, INCLUDING THE MOON AND OTHER CELESTIAL BODIES

(Typical over-verbiage of Washington documents ^ ^ ^ ^)

The economics of it seem, though, to indicate that it is a long, long way off in the future.

In fact, I'd suggest that asteroids are a more feasible alternative, in the future...before Mars. It will have to do with the expenditure of energy to lift off the planet (Mars) compared to the much lesser gravity of a much smaller body, like an asteroid. And, few people will have an emotional attachment to a lump of rock, as compared to an entire planet, with all the lore and romance it brings.
edit on Sun 6 November 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

Srry u remind me so much of my fave comedy prog BIG BANG THEORY>LOL
edit on 6-11-2011 by EGH123 because: Srry u remind me so much of my fave comedy prog BIG BANG THEORY>LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If you google Quartz Vein you will see this looks very like that.

I imagine most of us have seen many veins of quarts they come in all sizes and some colors and eroded like this. Otherwise it would be some other mineral that was formed when hydrothermal fluids flowed into a fracture in the same way as quartz.

mountainbeltway.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I like the quartz vein line of thinking it is formed like a quartz vein ,but it looks like a brick not quartz, close but not quite a cigar

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think the argument of natural erosion or man made is moot point, when the smoking gun disclosure quote is in the article.

It could even point to particular eras when Mars was actually habitable by life as we know it. And if those conditions still exist underground

I rest my case and await phage to try and debunk.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

The quote about Mars having been habitable to life either in the past, or possibly still (although underground) is simply that.

Life.

Not "intelligent" life...just, life. The Earth had life on it for between three to four billion years (or more) before any intelligence arose.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresenttense

S&F, quite the set of pictures, I would be interested in what an archeologist would ponder?? I don't believe "Homestead" means anything.... What we are not seeing is how long this line of stones is, four or five pictures from the NASA site. Who really knows..... but it is very exciting. Thanks for posting it.

29INFDIV

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Aestheteka
If anyone's ever seen the UK series Time Team, they manage to reconstruct entire Roman villas on less evidence than that....
If they did then they were using too much imagination.

That really looks like a natural formation, and very similar to the one on the image below.

This Forum is hillarious. The one time the UK does something right and a member has to voice their criticism at the one time when it is appropriate not to. The Portugal space program should figure out what the rock is, their economy is rocking and rolling from what I've heard.

The world is about to end anyway, the globalists are going to make one last hurrah with war on Iran. Let's just say that this is something other than natural! Mars once had water I don't doubt Steve Squyre's strong convictions there. But actually Portugals space program is bound to lay the evidence surely to rest with their planned Mars expedition. I think it's a Spain and Portugal joint venture backed by the might Euro right? I need the check out the UK series Time team. That face on Cydonia really hasn't been totally dispoved at a shadow trick yet, wouldn't that be the ideal place to send complicated Rovers with good photographic equipment.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EGH123

Hye, if yuo wsih to tlak lkei smeo wcakde otu ferak of nurtae, tenh sratt tlakgin lkei yuo heva teh blsal to sya semtighno itnellgient... lol

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh
Cool thread, enjoying the speculation and arguments.
Great photos and very interesting.

Call me easily impressed but I just find it amazing that while many of our species continue to beat each other with their fists and kill each other in the name of superstition and short sighted greed, humanity has the curiosity to and the ability to create technology that can open up new vistas of and raise new questions about existence.

Jeez its MARS, A truly alien environment and we can photograph it and examine it and we can sit in our homes and discuss it with each other.

The mindblowing thing is that the further our reach the more questions and puzzles we will encounter, because so many people were not afraid to fall off the edge of the world we are not afraid to reach the edge of the universe
Awesome.

A star for you! I agree, we are looking at another planet. It is alien. Everything we are observing through the rovers, satellites, etc is brand new to our eyes. We are seeing new things never seen before by human eyes.

Great post. I too am enjoying this greatly.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

That outcrop is an amazing looking place. Where in the world is it? I've never seen anything quite like it before. Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepresenttense
I did a search, but haven't seen any other posts on this yet. Please forgive me if I've been unknowingly beaten to the punch. I just saw this story on MSNBC.com and wondered if anyone here has any ideas about it or access to more and/or better photos of this white rock "vein". I find it very interesting how perfectly separate it is from the rocks and soil around it. Scientists, so far, seem to be stumped, and so am I. Any ideas on what mineral would do this? Do we have similar examples on Earth?

NASA's Opportunity rover has come across a light-colored line of rocks that could serve as solid evidence for Mars' watery past — and help set the stage for the next Mars mission, due for launch this month. The formation, nicknamed "Homestake" or "The Vein," showed up in pictures that the rover sent back from the rim of Endeavour Crater early this week. It looks like a few paving bricks, sticking edge up from the surrounding soil. Not all that impressive, but it caught the attention of the rover science team as well as the amateur observers who are following Oppy's every move.

source
edit on 6-11-2011 by thepresenttense because: Mods, please move this to the correct category if necessary

If it's the same one I saw years ago science established that it was top soil (or dirt whatever you want) which had been blown away during a dust storm and exposed the underlying rock.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Interesting article. TY for posting. What I find even more interesting is the use of the word "homestake" to name the new find. Use of that word implies to me, at least, future plans for a Mars base, or homestead. Or, they think the row of stones looks more like an ancient foundation......
edit on 6-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

I agree!!

Maybe we are going to go BACK home........

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Columbus wasn't expecting that continent, he thought it was Asia (or, more specifically, India), he even sent some of his sailors looking for the large cities he was expecting to see in India.

He wasn't expecting that continent because they didn't know it existed....
An analogy. You decide to try a new route to the Mall. Instead of going across town you instead decide to head off in completely the opposite direction because you have a theory that the world is round (and, obviously, much, much, much smaller in this case...). Half way into your journey you discover that not only have you bumped into another Mall you didn't know existed but you have in fact discovered a completely new town you'd never heard of before where there shouldn't have been anything.

As for the bricks, you say geology, I say archaeology, let's call the whole thing off

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Aestheteka
If anyone's ever seen the UK series Time Team, they manage to reconstruct entire Roman villas on less evidence than that....
If they did then they were using too much imagination.

That really looks like a natural formation, and very similar to the one on the image below.

Maybe you should take the time out to watch an episode of time team online, there a really clever bunch using the best equipment & brains in the field, the day time team step on Mars is the day our government go "OH S**T we have been rumbled,

The picture you have provided could never in a million years be used to compare with those stones in the NASA pic, do you have a better match or a good theory on how such formations could have been made/created naturally ?

Originally posted by neo96
My problem with this is people are thinking like Earthlings so they project Earthling "engineering" on anything they see.

Waterway? looks like bricks to me any "alien" civilization would they use the same technology as us?

Don't think they would.

How many ways are there to build a bike? or a dam? or a road?

While the designs may very in style there is only one way to build them "that works" so yes in fact Aliens would use EXACTLY the same methods of building, enough for us to recognise,

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That image and the others show something that is not natural in appearance nor construction.

nuff said.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Oh man this makes me excited.
Imagine a complete lost civilization that once inhabited Mars. Were they brothers of us Earthlings? Are we descended from those who came from Mars?
Imagine stumbling across the ruins of a Martian Library.
I just think "What if this is what Earth could look like in Millions of years?"

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Some crater is its objective? I bet some pie of precious metal ores is more like it. Then we can send a factory ship and begin mining operations, men even. Pollution of a whole other eco sphere can then begin in ernest. Thats not the eventual intent you say? They been spectro graphing rocks all along the rovers paths and I have yet to see a total printout of any minerals beside basic calcites, sulfates, etc. Prove me wrong.

OK, take our technology, and actual physics into consideration. Apollo 15 on the launch pad weighed nearly 7 MILLION pounds, the part to achieve earth escape velocity weighed a bit over 100,000 pounds, the part that landed on the moon, was around 36,700 pounds, and the part that splashed down back on earth was about 10,000 pounds, of that, about 170 pounds was cargo–(lunar surface samples).

A mining idea is ridiculous, one has to understand the mass involved, this isn't a sci fi movie. Some people think if they see it on TV then it is possible, well not in my lifetime. Besides, there is nothing on Mars that isn't already here on earth that you don't need 6 million pounds of fuel to get to. It's quite ludicrous of an idea to space mine anything with any kind of technology there is today, and sorry, there isn't some black project hidden from us that resembles sci fi movies. Material technology not only suggests that, it restricts us to technology that is free for public viewing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join