It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man stopped for Open Carry in Oregon proves that cops don't understand the law...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

Originally posted by HandyDandy
reply to post by roughycannon

Since someone shot people we should all lose our constitutional rights? I am glad you do not make the laws here.

Whatever...

Go and turn on the news I'm sure there's another shooting going on right now...

Right, because such things only happen in the US.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
But most cops in the NW are cool about it, unless you're a prick or something. Just listen to what they say, let them inspect the weapon, your license etc .. they're just doing their job.. someone calls they have no choice but to stop you and ask some questions.

This is where you are wrong.
The cops should tell the caller " Open carry is legal, and uless the person is doing something illegal, there isn't anything wrong with a citizen excercising their constitutional right to carry."
Multiple calls from the same individual should merit a warning that wasting police time isn't tolerated.

Ignorance of the law,...even the open carry law... is no excuse, remember?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Um, sorry, that's just stupid. Someone calls the cops for any reason the cops investigate the call.. Someone calls and says there is a guy walking around with a gun, the cops show up and inspect .. if you have a license no big deal, have a good day, if you're walking around without a license, you go to jail. Cops have no idea what the situation is over the phone (and note you are only talking to a dispatcher when calling)

It's like calling the cops saying someone is stealing a car "oh no sir, sorry, that person owns the car" ... how do they know?

Or calling saying someone is breaking into your neighbors house "yeah, I don't think so that's just their friend"

See. Stupid.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It seems to me the cop was more scared of the camera than he was the gun.

And it is not this mans problem if a good portion of society does not know and excercise their rights.

"ooooh theres a man with a gun holstered walking down the street...everybody run for your lives!!"

Having just a gun holstered...no big deal...
Having just a camera- no big deal.

Having a gun AND a camera..... The world is going to end.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
wonder if some of the people making these sort of calls are trying to do a check on their neighbours since the police have to respond and if they have a past for crime they're banned from owning guns and will spend some jail time so its a cheap and cheerful way of vetting/getting rid of neighbours they don't like

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Um, sorry, that's just stupid. Someone calls the cops for any reason the cops investigate the call.. Someone calls and says there is a guy walking around with a gun, the cops show up and inspect .. if you have a license no big deal, have a good day, if you're walking around without a license, you go to jail. Cops have no idea what the situation is over the phone (and note you are only talking to a dispatcher when calling)

It's like calling the cops saying someone is stealing a car "oh no sir, sorry, that person owns the car" ... how do they know?

Or calling saying someone is breaking into your neighbors house "yeah, I don't think so that's just their friend"

See. Stupid.

Except to open carry, no license is needed.
The guy was walking around and exercising his freedoms.
Just because some dolt gets scared about a gun, does not warrant anything.
The cops knew they had nothing, that is why the clip did not end up with him in handcuffs.
He has a right to open carry, just as he has a right to walk down the street wearing a hat.
The cops asked the correct question. "Are you a felon or prohibited from owning a firearm"?
The answer is no, and the law states there is nothing further that the police are allowed to do.

But, this does show that the US is getting the wussification factor.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Um, sorry, that's just stupid. Someone calls the cops for any reason the cops investigate the call.. Someone calls and says there is a guy walking around with a gun, the cops show up and inspect .. if you have a license no big deal, have a good day, if you're walking around without a license, you go to jail.

Wrong again.
Open carry is legal. No lisc. required.
Cops do not need to respond to a report of a citizen excercising his legal rights. Period.
Reporting a legal act AS a crime, especially with malicious intent, to get LEO to act against another party, is however, illegal...in fact it's a felony.

Cops have no idea what the situation is over the phone (and note you are only talking to a dispatcher when calling)

Cops can clearly see the guy is not doing anything illegal. End of "investigation".
anything further violates cilil rights.
They have zero reason to stop him.
There is NO probable Cause to even approach this citizen.
We are free from ilegal searches in this country.
Know your rights.

See. Stupid.

Did they have a key?
if not the crime is obvious to any observer.
If they have a key, calling the cops is stupid.
Breaking and entering is a crime. Unlocking your door with a key is not.
Open carry is also not a crime.
Bad analogy

Just more ingorance of the law, and blind tolerance of your rights being violated by sheep.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Nice Video
I love it when the Citizen triumphs over mis-guided LEOs.

Ok it's cool if the Police want to chat with him and make sure all is in order but to ask for his ID when no offence had been committed was plain wrong.
Too many citizens don't know or don't excercise their rights enough. This is what gives some officers the "God" feeling, because they rely on ignorance.

If it's legal to open carry in your state then do it, excercise your rights!!!!! WAY TO GO GUYS N GALS....WHOOT WHOOT!
I admire you for standing up against the uncontrolled Law Machine.

Also as a European it really pisssshes me when I see other non US people diss your gun rights and laws. It's just plain ignorant. Just because we don't have, need or want guns here doesn't mean our American cousins shouldn't either.

It's their right to do so.
It's legal in certain states.
It's part of the National Identity.
It's a right they should never lose.

I applaud the US for having the nuts to stand up for what they believe in and for not allowing themselves to be walked over by government.
Good Call Y'all

edit on 6-11-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Loved the video. Loved the guys attitude. The little conference they had to have was just priceless. And all the petty little harassment techniques they use to try and flex their authoritative muscle.. fell on deaf ears. Very funny

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oregon is a Traditional Open Carry state, meaning any open area not regulated by a municipality that restricts the posession of open carry weapons is an open carry portion of the state that does not require a license. In most cities there are certain rules, varying from city to city. In the largest cities (Portland, Salem, Eugene) loaded open carried weapons are prohibited without the possession of a Concealed Carry License. Also all public buildings open carry is specifically illegal without a Concealed Carry License. Because of this, unless you're in one of the smaller towns, almost everyone who open carries has a CCL. For instance I, in Portland, must have a CCL to Carry either Open or Concealed within the city boundaries, and all but 2 suburbs are the same way.

Within a city police are obligated to respond to inquiries made by citizens in regards to the open carrying of weapons. If you're in the larger cities you'll likely get stopped every once in a while downtown. People who Carry know this, expect this, and if it's not concealed it's not an improper search or seizure as police are allowed to question any obvious threats. If you have a CCL or else you have no ammunition if you do not have a CCL, then it shouldn't be a problem. Make some small talk with the cop, crack a few jokes, lose 5 mins of your day and be on your way.

edit on 11/6/2011 by Rockpuck because: got rid of the mean stuff

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Actually, I think the cop has every right to ask for identification in that stop. I'm glad this guy knows his rights and exercises his rights, and I think it is ridiculous that people are so frightened that someone called the cops. BUT, since someone was frightened, and did call the cops, then they cops should make sure the guy is licensed and legitimate.

Imagine the backlash if this guy walks 2 blocks up the road and shoots his ex-girlfriend!!

And the cops did seem to know the law pretty well. They were never aggressive, they just asked if the guy knew the responsibilities involved with what he was doing, and they asked if he realized the effect it has on other people.

In my opinion, the guy, and the cops, were both excellent here, and the only idiots are the ones that get frightened every time they see a gun.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

In regards to displaying identification:

Unfortunately in most liberal states like Maryland's Annotated Code (Law) "Failure to display identification upon demand." Falls into the same category as "Failure to obey" which is a law in Maryland too. Also in Maryland if you fail to display your ID, you can have your license suspended or revoked (Set as a condition to having the privy to drive.) It really is that insane..... So even though they were checking out a man with a gun (probable cause once a call is made) it really isn't that hard to have some chump cop trump you up on charges. (I for one do not think they received a call.)

For everyone else: Please check your state laws before you get a headache with the authorities, even if you can & probably will win in court. If you have the means to go through the ordeal, please post

29INFDIV

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Since someone shot people we should all lose our constitutional rights? I am glad you do not make the laws here.

Whatever...

but i'm pretty sure this guy is not the one who's going to get shot. and i hope if i'm with my family at a public place and some psycho decides to shot up the place, this guy is around.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
How do we know somebody even called the cops? The cop can say whatever he wants.

And why do cops even go on calls like that? How is "there's a man with a gun" any different from "a man with a car" "a man with a briefcase" "a man with a mullet"?

Since when has having possession of a thing justification for harassment and scrutiny? When did this start? When did society decide to accept two kids squirrel hunting as justification for a town-wide lockdown and SWAT team activation?

I know it's not "Columbine" or any other assinine excuse since statistically the gross over-reactions and public paranoia is entirely unwarranted. Is it liability? Nobody wants the take the flak "just in case" so throw everything within 100 mile radius at it?

Well, "just in case" shouldthen pertain to every other statistical killer then, right? Just in case you wreck your car the government needs to shuttle your ass to buy a lotto ticket. After all that's as likely to happen as a bowel movement while a "Columbine" is about as likely as space shuttle debris crushing your Pomeranian. Is there no liability there? We don't care that 30,000 people die in car wrecks every year? Maybe it just isnt as attractive or "hot" as a murder? Which by virtue of it's ability to garner ratings and spectacle means it is in fact a rare occurance. If such things were as commonplace as folks like Fienstein would have us believe we woukd view them as passé as we view a car wrapped around a pole.

It's truly mind boggling to me how absurdly irrational and inconsistently panic stricken society is.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

And what was the point in that?

Silly Americans

Common sense (even if its legal) would say if you see a guy walking down the street with a gun will cause alarm.

Brainwashed Europeans.
No. It should not cause any alarm. Legal gun owners commit less gun related crimes than LEO's ( cops).
It's the ignorant fools with badges, that act like they know the law when in fact they do not, and attempt to strong arm you into giving up your legal rights that should cause alarm.

A man with a legal gun should not scare you, nor should it matter.. especially when you can excercise your right to bear arms as well.
It's LEGAL!!!!!

keep in mind, felons/criminals are not allowed to carry a gun in the US.

Fear the man, not the gun.
This is how your guns were taken from you. Such cowardice.

You have been conditioned to fear guns, for so long you have an automatic fear response when you see one legally carried.
That is really sad, and you should really take a long look at why you are so afraid of perfectly legal action.

In fact, I think the "person who called the cops" should get a warning for wasting time and tax dollars having two officers approach a perfctly legal citizen.
and no, the gun on your waist does NOT give police an excuse to come harrass you and more than the t shirt you are wearing.

Open carry is legal in Oregon.
We do not fear guns just because our government tells us so.
The sight of a legal citizen excercising his right to open carry is a beautiful thing, something to be admired, not feared.
Again, frikkin cowards..... open your eyes and get off your sofa.

edit on 11/6/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

I've been conditioned? you do know that guns aren't a part of nature we invented them to KILL, if you think that a mammal walking around with a killing device is normal then you are the one who has been conditioned...

I'd rather live in the free world of nature where I can walk around free as will without thinking I have the need to carry a gun to TAKE OUT anyone who gets in my way, the way mother nature intended, don't ever call me "conditioned" every day on the news I hear about some shooting spree or gun crimes, the US is a mess.

In the UK even our police cant carry guns unless it warrants it, how often do you hear on the news "yet another shooting incident in the UK"... never, the US... every day.

What's the difference between Muslim's shooting guns in the air shouting "god bless allah!" and the crazy US shooting guns in the air shouting "god bless America!"... nothing! this is what you look like to the rest of the world.
edit on 6-11-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Explain these UK shootings genius...

Story: Dad who split up fight in McDonals UK SHOT DEAD

3 teenage girls SHOT in west london estate

or this

or this one

or this

Not to mention your high rate of Anti-Social Behaviour Order or ASBO people AND your super high rate of stabbings!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Whatever...

And there's another 100 that aren't going on because of people like him (and me). Good luck with that nanny state of yours.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It looks fake to me, it reminds me of pineapple express. You can see that he stops and singles the cop, the cop whispers ok and he starts questioning.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I would have been arrested for being a smartass.
------------------
"Really officer? Someone was spotted in this area with a gun? Do you want me to help you look for them? You go east and I'll go west, we'll find them in no time."
------------------

"Yes, officer, thank you. I'm the one who called, you got here quick. The saucer hovered right over there, and he beamed down right under it. He went just around the corner, there. If you hurry you can catch him. He's the one with the silver suit , green skin, and the multi-laze rifle. You can't miss him."
------------------

"Actually officer, I'm the one who made the call. I saw you walking around with all those weapons and I got suspicious. You know, you see something, say something, right? In fact, you still look kind of suspicious to me. I'm going to call some more policemen to come by and check you out. You could be a couple of guys in stripper costumes carrying real guns getting ready to rip off a bachlorette party. It's the oldest trick in the book."
------------------

I guess that's why I don't open carry. The gun would get me stopped, and my mouth would get me in trouble.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS! One of the greatest rights obtained by a Free Society.

It amazes me that a person gets shot in the U.S. and it becomes World Wide News. The story goes on for weeks and is debated over and over again by every nations media.

Several Hundred Soccer fans die in a riot along with other fans murdering the refs....and....hey...thats soccer! It is mentioned a few times then forgotten.

Mass riots paralize a European City for WEEKS.....while Police are equipt with a shield and batton....while the rioters are using Molotav Cocktails and setting off pipe bombs all the while destroying buisness property, cars or anything else in reach.

A riot of that nature would last about 3 minutes in the U.S. and RARELY to they occur at all.

I would have to say that Europeans.....a group of people who have been at a constant state of war for MILLENIA...except now....after WWII....when the U.S. had to not only pulverize entire nations but had to keep troops there....and they are STILL there....have alot of BALLS....to critique....how Americans are allowed to have guns. Split Infinity

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join