It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.6 Just Hit Oklahoma..........Felt in Joplin, Mo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynexon

that was actually the ninth EQ in OK in the last 24 hours

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Where I live, far from you, when I felt the quake I heard a rumbling rushing. Never occurred to me to make a connection....(making one now tho!)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

If that was the ninth one will there be more? Why is the one for today the only one felt so far away?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I think Pauligirls point may be that, where you have fault lines? You have quakes. Whether or not it is noticed
on a social level for the human kind or not. I thought the only faults were near Madrid. So fracking learning is a good thing.

edit on 5-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

It was much like a strange combination of a huge gust of wind and a low flying plane. I wonder how come most of my family did not notice this?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
I was sitting with my legs up on a stand when I felt a gentle swaying motion not unlike being on a ship in semi-choppy water. I even got nauseous.

When we had our Earthquake out here in the East back in August I thought I was going to be sick also, my head felt cloudy and stuffed up like there was pressure building or something. People out West take it for granted but if you're not use to it and experience an Earthquake strong enough to move your house or things inside of it is pretty scary.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I have alot of damage to the ceiling in my home at least 15-20 large cracks and some of the walls from it. I live about 30 miles from the epicenter.
edit on 5-11-2011 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

as Pauligirl has pointed out, we have EQ's here, just not often & not strong

link   
www.kjrh.com...

USGS upgrades latest earthquake to 5.6; strongest on record in Oklahoma

Read more: www.kjrh.com...

Lincoln County Emergency Management is reporting significant damage.

link   
Looks like a 5.6 may be a record in Oklahoma.
USGS Oklahoma Earthquake History

The magnitude 5.5 April 9, 1952, earthquake centered near El Reno affected most of Oklahoma and parts of Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas. Damage from the 10:30 a.m. CST earthquake was not extensive, but many people in the epicentral area were alarmed, some to near panic. Portions of chimneys fell in El Reno and Ponca City (intensity VII). Bricks loosened from a building wall and tile facing of commercial buildings bulged at Oklahoma City. Also, plate glass windows were shattered in the business district of El Reno. The total damage amounted to several thousand dollars. Aftershocks were felt on April 11, 15, and 16, July 16, and August 14; an earthquake that was felt (IV) at Holdenville and Wewoka on October 7 apparently was unrelated to the April 9th event. Homes and buildings shook and some persons were awakened (V) at El Reno from the April 16th shock, which occurred 5 minutes after midnight. Felt reports were also received from Kingfisher, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Union City.

That location is about at the northern edge of the Nemaha Ridge. I found a document detailing a safety study done in 2004 for a mine to be located at the north end of Nemaha Ridge, which according to the study is a buried granite mountain range extending roughly from Omaha to Oklahoma City. The mountains were formed about 300 million years ago and have abrupt elevation changes. The complex fault system that bound the ridge is still active today, especially the Humboldt fault zone that forms the eastern boundary of the Nemaha Ridge. In places it breaks through to the surface, and that does not sound like a good characteristic for a fault to have.

Source

Interesting about the Rift Zone. Future maps drawn by psychics show the middle of the US as an Ocean dividing the US into two countries.

edit on 6/11/11 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

that's scary!!

I'm only 40 miles or so from the Meers fault!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yup, USGS and KOCO news says it is definently a 5.6!! Strongest EQ in Oklahoma history!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
They are calling it a 5.6

www.newstribune.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Oklahoma has a lot of earthquakes just so small you never notice. Someone posted in yesterdays forums about the 4.7 that Oklahoma has had 850ish in the past 5 years or so.

My question is, Why was yesterdays 4.7 two sudden jerks and 2 loud pops and todays 5-7sec low rumbling sound which jolted for 5-7 secs ? Whats the difference in the two?

edit on 6-11-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The first reports of damage are starting to come in, from lincoln county in Oklahoma, I am sure more reports will be coming in as the night goes on. If it was strong enough to shake the houses here (90 miles from the epicenter) as strong as did, and break pictures and things on shelves, I can only imagine there will be structural damage closer to the epicenter.

We deal with extremes in weather and some of the worst that mother nature can throw at us here, we don't spook easily when it comes to mother nature.....but this was really scary tonight, and just feels foreboding for some reason. Even my normally very calm and quiet husband said that if we have more than one or two more it is time to pack the gear and head out of town.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
'Significant' Damage Reported After 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Oklahoma

SPARKS, Okla. – A record 5.6-magnitude earthquake hit Oklahoma late Saturday night, causing "significant" damage to buildings at nearly the same position that a 4.7-magnitude quake hit less than 24 hours earlier.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The RSOE EDIS site is showing two quakes happening seconds apart.......one 5.2 and a 5.6..........

Any confirmation on this????

RSOE EDIS

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Be careful out there.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I just thought of something. What if i died and i just dont realize it? Huh? Huh!?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a little damage for the earthquake

three homes with significant damage from the earthquake. Officials say the chimney collapsed on a two story house and the hallway collapsed in another house. No injuries have been reported.

i wounder if there are any pics of things damaged down south

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join