It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Penn St. Coach, Others Charged In Child Sex Case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

An explosive sex abuse scandal and possible cover-up rocked “Happy Valley” on Saturday when former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, once considered Joe Paterno’s heir apparent, was charged with sexual assaulting eight boys over a 15-year period. Among the allegations was a 2002 incident in which a graduate assistant for the team said he saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower at the Nittany Lions’ practice center.

Sandusky retired in 1999 but continued to use the school’s facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids. The state grand jury investigation also resulted in perjury charges against Tim Curley, Penn State’s athletic director, and Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business. The two administrators were accused of failing to alert police—as required by state law—of their investigation of the allegations.

Paterno, who last week became the winningest coach in Division I football, was not charged, and the grand jury report did not appear to implicate him in wrongdoing. “This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys,” Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said in a statement.

One accuser, now 27, testified that Sandusky initiated contact with a “soap battle” in the shower that led to multiple instances of involuntary sexual intercourse and indecent assault at Sandusky’s hands, the grand jury report said. He said he traveled to charity functions and Penn State games with Sandusky, even being listed as a member of the Sandusky family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl and 1999 Alamo Bowl.

But when the boy resisted his advances, Sandusky threatened to send him home from the Alamo Bowl, the report said. Sandusky also gave him clothes, shoes, a snowboard, golf clubs, hockey gear and football jerseys, and even guaranteed that he could walk on to the football team, the grand jury said, and the boy also appeared with Sandusky in a photo in Sports Illustrated. He testified that Sandusky once gave him $50 to buy marijuana, drove him to purchase it and then drove him home as the boy smoked the drug. When Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno (right) first learned of one report of Jerry Sandusky's abuse he immediately reported it to the school's athletic director, prosecutors said. (AP) The first case to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12, the grand jury said. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky’s home, jurors said. Eventually, the boy’s mother reported the allegations of sexual assault to his high school, and Sandusky was banned from the child’s school district in Clinton County in 2009. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday. But the report also alleges much earlier instances of abuse, and details failed efforts to stop it by some who became aware of what was happening.

Another child, known only as a boy about 11 to 13, was seen by a janitor pinned against a wall while Sandusky performed oral sex on him in fall 2000, the grand jury said.

This is appalling. This guy is pretty well known in college football as well. Just disgusting behavior here.

It almost is getting to the point where you have to question why some men love working with children/teenagers so much. There have been numerous priests, teachers, coaches, and even boyscout leaders charged with similar abuses.

Of course most men just want to help out. But I do wonder how much stuff like this is out there which we don't know about.

rivals.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Maybe some of those 300lb players should meet him in the shower after a game.

He would then understand what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

edit on 5-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
With every single story like this, I get more and more disgusted at the thought of having to raise a child in this world. Seriously, is any environment safe? I don't think so

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
With every single story like this, I get more and more disgusted at the thought of having to raise a child in this world. Seriously, is any environment safe? I don't think so

True.

Seems we never know for sure if children are safe. You'd think activities such as sports, boyscouts, and church would be safe. Sadly, seems to be where a lot of this stuff occurs.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I think most gang members in prison are really child molesters and sodomites. The Crypts, Bloods, Hells Angels,etc.

They go after people who are not in a gang.--------------------

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This story is beyond disgusting....From the guy who committed the acts (Sandusky), to the school covering it up....I hope horrible things on these people... Below is the 23 page Grand Jury report.......Victims 2 and 8 were the hardest for me to read....

Fair warning, the report is VERY graphic and disturbing

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I heard they are rioting in Penn St.
edit on 9-11-2011 by jimrat201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Disgusting... Infuriating... Obscene.. Deplorable ... ... one of the most respected football programs in the country... supposedly "doing it the right way".. Lies.

To portray yourself as a shining example.. and committing and covering up the most vile of crimes...

What punishment fits this crime?

I was a Penn State fan.. no longer.

Embarrassed to even be called a Pennsylvanian at the moment.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
And something of an update:

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season, saying Wednesday that the effects of a child sex abuse scandal involving former heir apparent Jerry Sandusky have been overwhelming.

Paterno announces retirement

Most people I've talked to think he should retire immediately... I think so too.

Strange times.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

No way should he retire now or at the end of the season!

The only thing that Joe Paterno is guilty of is being the greatest coach to ever lead a college football team...
... well, that and allowing an old man to sexually prey on young boys.

He needs to be fired and possibly face criminal charges.

edit on 11/9/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Embarrassed to even be called a Pennsylvanian at the moment.

I'm not. I refuse to allow one or more sick people to ruin my views of an entire state or college. I'll always be proud to be a Pennsylvanian. I wish I could move back. Some of the most friendly and accepting people live there. So unlike other places I've lived in.

It's a real shame that Sandusky was able to get away with this for so long and is now staining Paterno's reputation. It will be sad if this gets turned into a witch hunt and people who weren't even involved get dragged into the hellish nature of it all.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

You're right.. I certainly don't see him as guiltless.. not by a long shot. He may have covered his ass criminally by doing the minimum required... but that's all he did.. and that's unacceptable from someone who was supposed to be such a shining example of integrity. Bleh

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
To those of you who are placing guilt before evidence, I hope all of your friends and associates are saints because you may be going down with them in the event they are discovered to be criminals.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yawn. Joepa's career is pretty much over anyway the man is 84 years old he needs to sit home and enjoy his golden years. As for the sexual abuse...meh. The victims of the catholic church are still trying to get justice. And in those cases the actual abusers arent being charged. So I feel like the people being charged in this case, minus the pervert, are being treated unfairly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

According to the testimony he was told about the anal rape of a 10 year old boy in the shower. If I knew of any of my friends or family doing anything like that there's no way the authorities, their employers, the victims families and the public in general wouldn't know about it because I would not stop talking about it until something was done.

Some of my talking might even have to be done from behind bars because I'd surly would beat the hell out of the person first.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

It's all hearsay at this point. I also heard how the first victim requested that his father speak to Paterno instead of the police first, but I never saw if there was a confirmation of this or not.

According to the article I read today, things are really cooking and people are wondering why a DA decided to not press charges against Sandusky in 1998, then came up missing in 2005.
See thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is going to tarnish the reputation of Penn State and it should.

I heard they are still letting the guy coach the game on Saturday. What the hell are they thinking?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

OK, so I shouldn't have used the term "testimony" for sure. But the undisputed facts (in a nutshell) are the Joe Paterno was informed that in 2002 Jerry Sandusky was in the shower alone with a minor boy engaging in some sort of sexual contact. He did not call the cops and continued to work with him (in some capacity) until 2011.

I have a problem with that. His entire career will now be overshadowed because he "did what I felt was right for the school"

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So many sick A-holes out there that need a killin...

you just don't know until they are caught.

And proven evil.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he's (JP) nowhere near the field come Saturday. Someone in authority will come to their senses before then and "suggest" that he retire early...otherwise the whole school might as well endorse NAMBLA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join