It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facing jailtime? Just say you are an illegal immigrant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Are you facing a jail sentence? Just tell the authorities you are an illegal immigrant and apparently you'll be ok, but just don't return to the same city you were arrested in, like this man did. Apparently, a Utah man was arrested drug possession and but gave a different name, fake birth date, and said he was here illegally. He was deported but came back into the US to the same city and arrested again, and the truth came out.

An American citizen from Utah man who preferred deportation to jail pretended to be an illegal immigrant when he was charged with a drug offense, according to law-enforcement officials. Jaime Alvarado, 27, of Salt Lake City, was deported to Mexico under an assumed name and identity rather than being sentenced to jail, but now his lie may be catching up with him. Alvarado was charged Wednesday in Utah's 3rd District Court with giving false material statements, a felony, and giving false information to a peace officer, a misdemeanor, said Robert Stott, a spokesman for the Salt Lake City district attorney. He did not show up for his court appearance, and there is a warrant out for his arrest, said a spokeswoman for the court.

Alvarado was arrested last year on a second-degree felony charge of possessing coc aine and heroin with intent to distribute, according to court records. Facing as much as 15 years in prison, he pleaded guilty and gave an alias, Saul Quiroz, and a fake birth date, and said he was an illegal immigrant. He was deported to Mexico. But he returned to the U.S. in April 2010 using his valid U.S. passport, Stott said. He was re-arrested in Salt Lake City in February and turned over to immigration authorities.

Appearing in court that month, Alvarado revealed his true identity. "He admitted he had created a false name in order to avoid a lengthy prison term," Stott said. In a letter to the judge at the time, Alvarado asked for leniency. "I know I made a poor choice by lying to you guys a year ago. I was afraid to go to prison," he wrote. "I have a good job right now, a lot of little girls waiting for me and a family that will support me," he added. "It's my first offense and my last. I want to spend the rest of my life with my kids." Another letter, from his fiancee, Anelia Carballo, said Alvarado had done "a 360-degree turnaround" and was a loving father to their daughter together and her other four girls.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement released Alvarado in June once officials were satisfied that he was, in fact, a U.S. citizen, but a warrant was issued for his arrest on the false information charge on Oct. 31. A spokeswoman for ICE said the agency was aware of the case and was investigating the matter.

Now, I am sure that his fiancee meant that he did a complete 180, not 360
However, I just don't understand why he allowed himself to be deported to Mexico considering all the violence and chaos going on down there right now. Oh well,, he had the chance for freedom, but he decided to go back and got caught.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thank you sir for a most excellent find and I needed the laugh =)

Ah the irony of being smart enough to get out of the first arrest, and then the stupidity to go back so it can happen again.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So, he said he was an illegal immigrant and the authorities took him at his word, doing no research whatsoever into his identity before deporting him? I can't decide whether they should be commended or ridiculed. Bizarre.

I did have to laugh at the fiancee's quote. Seems fitting.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Prison industry is BIG money. They'll just keep you here to do your time then ship you back to ________(insert country here) and it's their problem. The state of the inmate gets money every day the inmate is incarcerated. In Federal Prison they have a problem with the Cuban inmates. When they get close to their outdate, they just assault staff (or another inmate) usually stabbing them, to get more years. Once they reach Cuban soil, there F*&%ED! They are EXECUTED within 24yrs upon arrival on Cuban soil, for being traitors to their Country,Government, and people. They are made an example out of to show what happens to citizens of Cuba that flee to America. Sad, Really. I would much rather be in a Federal Prison forever than face a gruesome public execution anyday. Federal Prisons are pretty cozy institutions than being in a third world dictatorship. The guy is lucky he can even make it back to U.S soil.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I must say I give him an "A" for effort.

I feel for the guy. The fear of going to prison and all. And the guy did what he had to, to avoid it. And did it quite well realistically.

Unfortunately with poor decisions to do drugs, means poor decisions can and will be made. He should of taken the opportunity and started a new life, instead of coming back.

I would be very interested in how it all plays out, or if he turns himself in (to do whats right. A complete 180?)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Since I'm white, would this work if I say I'm illegally here from Canada?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah, lying in court always works

Lines sorry

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm an American expat living in Mexico. So I'm thinking, if I come back illegally, not clearing customs etc., do I get all kinds of free stuff?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
All the other illegals do. I don't see why you should be any different.
Just goes to show that people are paying attention and know what's going on. The guys doing it the right way get nothing.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well the man has been arrested and charged for doing these crimes, so I don't see what the big deal is? Is it because he's an illegal immigrant?

This just goes to show the system is broken and that we need to do something about it, something most of you already know.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So does this mean if Jesse Ventura follows through on his threat to become a citizen of MX and then comes back to the good ole' USA for a vist, gets drunk in public and gets in a fight and then arrested, he will be deported????

new topics

top topics

join