It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dramatic moment a pair of 250ft giant sequoias that have stood for 1,500 years fell to the groun

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I agree with hellhound...........leave them, build around them.

Sad..........We got to see these magnificent trees a few years back.

Now we live in zone 5 and the only member of the Sequoia Family that can live in a Zone 5 is the Dawn Redwood, which we had planted in our front yard last year. It is now about 12 feet tall.

The picture is from last year when she was about 10 feet tall.

Google Dawn Redwoods.............very interesting and beautiful trees.

This one will live 1,000 years or more and keep growing - yes he/she is far enough away from the house and underground wires and pipes and will have enough room to reach phenomenal growth.

Will probably outlast the house we now live in. Amazed how fast this tree is growing.

The wires above are further away than they look.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
This to me ( although I am not a tree hugger) is fascinating.

How is it that propaganda can become so thick that people feel they need to say (although I am not a tree hugger) trees being a big reason why we have life. Why would you be embarrassed to love a major life giving force. Something we cannot live without.

How twisted away from what we were meant to be have we become?

That is very embarrassing for me to be part of a race of beings that have let corporate interest over-ride our basic instinct for survival.

I was saddened to see these old creatures die like that.

I am a proud nature lover and tree hugger.

edit on 5-11-2011 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Cut a section as wide as the path from where the path is, say 3 or 4 foot. Remove the section and set it upright for walkers to view its rings. This way the tree remains, minus the small section where walkers can walk through the tree. Heck they could even use the removed part to make a bench and while they at it, put a plaque on it. Just my two pennies worth. Either that or re-route the trail. Sure wouldnt want to see them remove the whole tree.

Amazing video, awe inspiring though sad at the same time. Im just glad it wasnt humans that tore it down. Another sign from mother earth perhaps
edit on 5-11-2011 by DarthPhobos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

How is it that propaganda can become so thick that people feel they need to say (although I am not a tree hugger) trees being a big reason why we have life. Why would you be embarrassed to love a major life giving force. Something we cannot live without.

That is very embarrassing for me to be part of a race of beings that have let corporate interest over-ride our basic instinct for survival.

I agree with you! The thing that is happening to these giant trees is the forests are to thin.
(I live in the redwoods and see them down all the time, each year big trees fall)
They have been cut and cut and there are very few young trees.
They need to have their roots intertwined to live and do not stand well alone. Any forest ranger can tell you this.

"What is fascinating about these majestic redwood trees that reach their leafy arms heavenward is that they stand for hundreds of years surviving raging fires, violent storms, and fierce winds.
I have also read that they have a comparatively shallow root system which makes their survival even more amazing. So how do they survive? They survive because they live in groves with their root systems entangled with numerous other trees. In other words they support each other. They couldn't survive alone. "
www.actsweb.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Nothing to say but S&F for bringing this in.

S&S for the trees as well.

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That's a good long life. I'm sure they have encountered much over those years, however I don't agree with just leaving them there. They are now dead. Either grind em down and give them new life as other objects or research their rings. What is the point of leaving them there to decay, to serve as some sort of reverence? Its just the normal cycle of life some cycles are just longer than others.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
lets have a moment of silence for all the tree-huggers that are mourning today. let us support them when they some how manage to blame global warming or the u.n.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
For decades people been stomping and tromping around the base of these things. Over time that is a contributing factor for the demise of these, the largest, oldest living things on the planet. So all of you that go off trails to touch the majesty, remember that.
Also, Miss Ranger there knows exactly what will happen to them. Since the US Forestry Dept is just a division of the Dept of Agriculture, the lumber will probably be sold. Probably overseas.

edit: You know how much co2 these have soaked up from the atmosphere? Thank you very much...They should be left right where they are. Instant home for gobs of bugs and microbes, which feed the birds and forest. Screw the trails.
Over time, offspring will grow from the burls all over these two. Same genetic longevity and disease resistance guaranteed.
edit on 5-11-2011 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Two life partners fell together after 1500 years of companionship.

There is a powerful tale of romance there in there somewhere, I'm sure.

I grieve for their loss, but I'm sure they felt it coming and prepared for it.

As to what to do about the trail: build a new one around them, you ninnies.

That seems so obvious I wonder at the mental capacities and worldviews of those who even question what to do.

Sheesh.

Just an awesome post Apache..................

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I hope they don't cut them up or anything. If they need to clear the trail, they should cut a tunnel through the trees to let people pass through. That would help people to appreciate how really gigantic those trees are.

I agree. I think they should just leave them be, anywhere it is possible, but it seems that some have missed a particular detail.

Starting at about 1:45 in [color=91BD8A]this video(2nd video in the OP), Denise Alonzo of the U.S. Forest Service, says:

"What has happened, as you can see behind me, this tree fell on top of the trail. Not only perpendicular to it, but if you look off to this side, it fell along about 100 ft. of the length of the trail. It's not only this one little section here, but [color=B8DBBE]also 100 ft. is sitting parallel, on top of the trail, that we've gotta figure out what we're going to do, in order to reopen the trail, and make it accessible for all folks."

Personally, I don't even know if tunneling is a likely possibility. At the very least, it would become a much more difficult task to accomplish, and especially to ensure it's safety, considering that it is not only crossing the path, but is also covering a 100 foot section of the trail.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

They are not sure what to do with them as they are blocking the trail.

They are not sure?!
The rules of forestry are very simple and very strict: leave a fallen tree where it fell. Period.

BTW, thank you for this thread.
I could not bear to see any tree fall, even if it is from "old age" (which in this case I doubt - they can live much longer than that), so I didn't watch the video. But it is a story about trees, and I love trees.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Originally posted by AdAstra

They are not sure what to do with them as they are blocking the trail.

They are not sure?!
The rules of forestry are very simple and very strict: leave a fallen tree where it fell. Period.

Obviously, it isn't quite that simple, nor strict.
If it were, then there would be no decisions, that needed to be made.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Awe man that totally sucks!! On a lighter note, theres a nice butt shot in the video at the 33 second mark. Made me feel a little better....

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Im from the UK where tree hugger conjures up mental images of long haired sandle and sock wearing types who live on lentils and beans. I love nature and find theses trees amazing ,more for their age than size. However I'm not against using trees for construction and fuel as long as they are replaced in a sustainable way.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks for your post good luck with your tree although keep in mind

They survive because they live in groves with their root systems entangled with numerous other trees. In other words they support each other. They couldn't survive alone. "
so you may need to plant a few more if you want them to reach a grand age and hight.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and maybe buy her a couple more brothers and sisters.

She's pretty and growing well so far.

The Dawn Redwood turns a coppery orange in mid November and than loses it's delicate leaves until spring.

Boy, she's grown two feet in just one year.

Dawn Redwoods were thought to be extinct for 10 million years until 1941 when during WWII scientists found a grove in Schezwan China. It was during WWII so they had to wait until after WWII to bring some cuttings out from what I've read.

Below is a picture of her beautiful leaves still green.

And further down is a full grown one in England

We have a beautiful Chinese Elm that is currently keeping her company not too far away.

Some man in Wisconsin is suppose to have a few doing quite well and Wisconsin is a little colder than where I'm at.

edit on 6-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

For your post.

Most people don't realize that trees are the lungs of our planet.............we need trees for our atmosphere.

Even animals hug trees.

Are people aware that under Bush and Obama, they are both allowing major logging in our national forests?

(and I thought our national forests belonged to us the people)

As this is a conspiracy site.............watch the movie, "The Arrival".

It's almost like our planet is being re-terraformed.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

Grind them down

If they leave them, they will for a while, a good long while give many animals a home and nourish the earth.

Also, to see one laying down, the majestic size alone.

Maybe scientists can try to clone more of these giant beauties.

I was raised on a farm where we had a grove of giant oak trees, I mean these were big suckers, about 14 of them and if you've never been around a grove of really big trees, you can't begin to imagine how they are living beings probably with some form of consciousness. I would sit and read under them, lay and sleep under them, and sometimes when the wind blew it was like the trees were talking to me........but then again, I can also talk to animals too.

edit on 6-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

For your post.

Ahhhhhhhhh but our government is slowly and quietly allowing logging on some of our biggest and oldest trees in almost all of our national forests.................the people's forest.

But than again, our government is ran for and by the large corporations and lobbyists in DC.

I would like to see someone, anyone try and replant, a whole bunch of redwoods. Start a large big redwood nursery for future generations.

A really big tree takes a lot of CO2 out of the air and adds a lot of O2.

An interview with Roger Borrini of Greenbrier Farms Nursery about Redwood Trees he planted in Chesapeake Virginia about 35 years ago. There is now a small grove growing strong.

Yeah for Roger!!!!!!! You rock!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
neat video, but why take a half ass shot of it falling, and 3 and a half minutes of it sitting there, dead on the ground?
Everyone knows the important part is the fall and the bang!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join