It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Travels The Slowest In The Universe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Plenty of attention to the fastest travelling things in the Universe with light shining bright as the King until recently.

But what about the slowest things ?

Does anything stand still absolutley?

Could the slowest thing actually be quicker than the so called quickest thing or vice versa?

Many are doubting Einsteins quick fix theories?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
All motion is relative. What is the frame of reference?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Well I would have to say that the slowest moving thing in the universe would have to be anything that has a temperature of absolute 0. Absolute 0 is -237.15 celcisus. At this point all molecular motion stops, nothing moves. So if on the scale of nothing moves faster than the speed of light then nothing moves slower than anything at absolute 0.

Just my opinion, I liked the question I never really thought about what moves slow since all we really care about is how fast stuff moves.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It's simple really.

The slowest moving thing in the universe is my 12 year old daughter when it is her turn to put away dishes after dinner.

It could also be Dale Earnhardt Jr. at any race track, but my money is on my daughter.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Traffic, when you have to pee

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The slowest thing would be that which does not move; But if it does not move it couldn't be the slowest because it isn't moving at all; and something is always faster than the thing that did not move, but there has to be something slower if indeed something is faster provided something that does not move is in the presence of the movement.
O wait...I know...My car. ..is the slowest thing in the universe.
DH

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Thanks for that information...but everything is still moving as the member before alluded to , so does this not lead to a theory that everything is travelling at the same speed?....if we zoom out and see the entire universe?

If the universe is viewed as a whole then perhaps it is stationary and has no speed?

So perhaps the slowest thing in the universe is the universe itself?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The slowest thing?

Me in the morning. And I ain't gettin' any quicker either.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
As some light, matter, atomic particles pass by a black hole, the gravity will eventually slow these particles down. Forward to backwards is pretty slow at one point or another. Don't listen I really have no idea what i'm talking about.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by coldfiremx

What if we are thinking about this all wrong.

What if certain light moves at certain speeds.

If light is just different frequencies then wouldn't this be true ?

SO maybe a certain color of light would be the slowest moving. one which is just barley beyond where the "starting point of the universe " began .

That is my theory for now. :-)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I don't know...But I think ignorance may be faster than light by a large margin.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
So are you trying to say the lowest frequency of non visible light may be the slowest thing in th galaxy? Sounds like a good theory to me. There are so many things, like light that we may never see, or simply have devices to detect.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Particles that are at 0 kelvin...however, those things can rarely stay at that temperature. I would say those are the "slowest" moving objects that I know of.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I don't know...But I think ignorance may be faster than light by a large margin.

Fast Marginalised Ignoramuses?...yeah I see that being an organistation I can keep pace with.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

agreed. while something may be motionless on earth, don't forget that the earth/solar system/galaxy are moving through space at a speed i have no interest in looking up right now, but you get the point. all relative

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Congress

Next after that is the check in the mail.

Third would have to be ,the louse crawling on the witches tit below absolute zero.

Honestly though, anything below Minus Four Hundred and Sixty Degrees Farenheit,

thinks faster than I do. I'm Chillin.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The line at the license bureau.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The center of mass of a body with no velocity with respect to its frame of reference.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
So perhaps the slowest thing in the universe is the universe itself?
It's called the Cosmic Microwave Background, or CMB for short.

Since there's no way to get outside the universe to see of it's moving relative to something else outside our universe, we don't know if it's moving.

But if you set this unknowable issue aside, it's fair to say the speed of the CMB is zero and use that as a baseline for measuring all other velocities. Relativity doesn't require this, since any reference frame will do for calculations in relativity, but it also doesn't violate relativity to use the CMB as your reference frame if that's what you want to do.

Now, has any object ever been measured going at a velocity of zero relative to the CMB? I don't know. I do know we've measured our own velocity and it's not zero:

www.phy.duke.edu...

By measuring the amount of the dipole anisotropy (the bluest part of the sky is .0033 K hotter than average), we can determine the magnitude of the earth's motion with respect to the CMB: the earth is moving at a speed of 370 km/s in the direction of the constellation Virgo.

edit on 5-11-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Anything with a temperature of 0 Kelvin is the slowest object in the Universe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join