It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Police Department put another veteran in the ICU - this time he was an Army Ranger!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

(Reuters) - A former U.S. Army Ranger and Occupy Oakland protester was in intensive care on Friday after a veterans group said he was beaten by police during clashes with demonstrators this week.

The veteran, identified as Kayvan Sabeghi, was the second former American serviceman during the past two weeks to be badly hurt in confrontations between anti-Wall Street protesters and police in Oakland.

The group Iraq Veterans Against the War said Sabeghi was detained during disturbances that erupted late on Wednesday in downtown Oakland and was charged with resisting arrest and remaining present at the place of a riot.

Highland General Hospital confirmed that Sabeghi was a patient in the intensive care unit there.

Brian Kelly, who co-owns a brew pub with Sabeghi, said his business partner served as an Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan. He said Sabeghi told him he was arrested and beaten by a group of policemen as he was leaving the protest to go home.

"He told me he was in the hospital with a lacerated spleen and that the cops had jumped him," Kelly said. "They put him in jail, and he told them he was injured, and they denied him medical treatment for about 18 hours."

The Oakland Police Department did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Sabeghi's name was listed by the Alameda County Sheriff's Office as one of more than 100 people arrested that night.

The veterans group said in a statement that police struck Sabeghi with nightsticks on his hands, shoulders, ribs and back, and that in addition to a lacerated spleen he suffered from internal bleeding.

Clashes between police and demonstrators broke out in the early morning hours of Thursday in downtown Oakland following a day of mostly peaceful rallies and marches citywide against economic inequality and police brutality.

www.reuters.com...

You know I didn't believe it before. I seriously think the OPD and cops all across America are trying to cause a riot. I MEAN WTF OAKLAND! All of these cops need to lose their jobs. I mean how many soldiers are they going to hurt.

Someone in that city needs to lose their job over this. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! INSANE! Urg I have no words.

They're going to cause a riot and undermine the whole movement.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Oh wow another report. Thus one from the Guardian:

"There was a group of police in front of me," he told the Guardian from his hospital bed. "They told me to move, but I was like: 'Move to where?' There was nowhere to move.

"Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying 'Why are you doing this?' when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me."

Sabeghi, who left the army in 2007 and now part-owns a small bar-restaurant in El Cerrito, about 10 miles north of Oakland, said he was handcuffed and placed in a police van for three hours before being taken to jail. By the time he got there he was in "unbelievable pain".

He said: "My stomach was really hurting, and it got worse to the point where I couldn't stand up.

"I was on my hands and knees and crawled over the cell door to call for help."

A nurse was called and recommended Sabehgi take a suppository, but he said he "didn't want to take it".

He was allowed to "crawl" to another cell to use the toilet, but said it was clogged.

"I was vomiting and had diarrhoea," Sabehgi said. "I just lay there in pain for hours."

Sabehgi's bail was posted in the mid-afternoon, but he said he was unable to leave his cell because of the pain. The cell door was closed, and he remained on the floor until 6pm, when an ambulance was called.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Looks like military men aren't that tough after all.......

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I'm calling you all out.
Anyone who was or IS in the Army and especially all you Rangers out there,
you don't have a hair on your balls if you don't do something about this.
Legally, of course

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

I know you intend that as a light jab but seriously this isn't okay. I don't know if Oakland is intentionally injuring people who were in the military, logic would tell me that they aren't but the fact that they've injured anyone at all is enough for me to be mad. This is insane to me.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

What a profoundly ignorant thing to say.
I trust you were just making a bad joke?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
TERRIBLE!!!!!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The police work for the CIA. They will beat the snot out of any veteran anytime they want to.-----------------

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I've concluded that it's part of the psychological makeup of typical cops that they are unable to process "gray" information; by which I mean nuanced thinking. It's black or white.

A few days ago, when they were called off and allowed the protestors to move back into their encampment they sulked like babies and accused their higher-ups of betraying and undermining them. In the interim they had absolutely overwhelming *loads* of information that they had been too brutal. But somehow they couldn't see or, in any event, admit that there was a problem. All you heard was, "It wasn't us! Must have been the other guys!"

Now that they've been set loose to break it all up again, they apparently feel vindicated and somehow think that means it's OK to go back to punishing--yes, I said punishing--the protestors, and they now think it's OK again to beat and brutalize unarmed citizens.

I cannot understand how they don't see that it's not up to them to punish the people involved in these protests. Arrest them, if you must, yes. But goddammit, stop punishing these citizens! It's their right to protest without being brutalized to within an inch of their lives....

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Things are way out of hand in Oakland. Seems that the police are out of control. No unarmed person can stand against multiple police armed with their personal non lethal ...lethal weapons.
I am curious about something. this is the second service man injured seriously...Why only service men or are there a lot of serious injuries going unreported by the press? How can the two serious injuries be the only two to service men? there certainly are more that are not being reported. Must be a way to tell, but if the press does not report the truth we will not know a good portion of what is really happening. Is anyone out there near this action that can give some insight to this question?
DH

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Just because they served this country doesn't free them from a rubber bullet, teargas canister, or a public beat down.

Just saying. -----------------------

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonhunlo
reply to post by DavidsHope

Just because they served this country doesn't free them from a rubber bullet, teargas canister, or a public beat down.

Just saying. -----------------------

Exactly

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Things are way out of hand in Oakland. Seems that the police are out of control. No unarmed person can stand against multiple police armed with their personal non lethal ...lethal weapons.
I am curious about something. this is the second service man injured seriously...Why only service men or are there a lot of serious injuries going unreported by the press? How can the two serious injuries be the only two to service men? there certainly are more that are not being reported. Must be a way to tell, but if the press does not report the truth we will not know a good portion of what is really happening. Is anyone out there near this action that can give some insight to this question?
DH

Well I'd assume it's likely that there are more injuries than are being reported. Military men are just important enough to reach the news.

Then again it's possible that as a coincidence two military men got the worst injuries and that's just how it played out. You pose a good question. I'd say it's pretty possible it's a coincidence. Still a weird one though.

edit: Oh btw guys. I'd recommend not replying to that aimponca guy. I'm personally not going to feed him. I mean feel free to talk to him I'm not going to stop you from it but I think it would be best to just leave it alone. lol
edit on 11/4/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

You and the OP responded with more civility than I could muster to this comment.
So I just walked away from my computer for a while and returned later.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

That was WAY out of line. :shk:

On topic:

This is just crazy, it seems like God is lining everything up into the perfect storm of total change. The pieces are being set hold onto your collectives asses (if you have any donkeys that is) this ride is going to be like a Harley going 300 mph. No safety belt either.

This has always been what the 2012 energy shift is all about. Let the good times roll.

Something biblical cometh.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I was looking for a negative response to my post. I was hoping some would be outraged. No policeman has ever put his hands on me. That would be like letting a leper touch me. Take care. ----------------

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wonhunlo

Well I was responding to you're comment in relation to the other guys comment. I thought you were saying "Hey dude don't say that. Military men are the same as you and I in the sense that they can get hurt too".

So that's what I was agreeing with.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join