It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wouldn't it be cool if ATS.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
First let me start by saying I really dig this site.
My only critique is we don't have a down vote option. Stars are kinda like an up vote, and this translates to stats about how well received a person's contributions usually are. However sometimes you see a comment with (lets say) 5 stars, but if we had the option this same comment might receive 20+ down votes. I just feel it would project how well a post is received a little better. We could even stick a number averaging out the ups and downs (IE if someone has 5 stars and 20 down votes the score would be -19) I don't know what you would use that goes with stars (thumbs down, check mark? IDK) I would just like to see the option.
This is all hypothetical of course, I don't expect everything to change with my suggestion, I just think it would be cool.
Opinions?
edit on 4-11-2011 by PutAQuarterIn because: left out statement

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

My opinion is that this has been proposed numerous times and the site admin/owners don't want this to turn into a site like you are describing.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I see it as if you star something, you agree with what was posted and don't need to post yourself repeating the same thing. (even though that is quite acceptable)

If you don't agree with what was posted, currently, you are required to post yourself explaining why and in turn spark debate. If you can just dislike, no debate will take place and nothing but personal attacks will ensue as can be seen on FB/YT etc....

If you agree with the opposing view point you can star that view instead.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Problem is, it'll turn into a popularity contest. ATS wants to encourage thought provoking, in-depth posts that spark discussion. Even members with less popular views, who in such a structure being proposed would undoubtedly be negatively tagged, have provided content that incites the type of discussion that makes this site what it is.

The owners have given in to allowing a de-flagging option...I think that's good enough.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Sorry. Only positive reinforcement here.
Review the story about Pavlov's dogs and classical conditioning.
www.nobelprize.org...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

thats lame...beacause...some people like to debate alot and the only problem is...they are always contradicting themselves until the make themselves look stupid,so i think a dislike button would be great..heres y....By disliking u can get a verry good estimate on what people think just by the "MAJORITY RULES" aspect..therefor u know the un-specific opinions of every1 as a majority/group instead of actually having to read a bunch of nonsence u dont wanna hear when all u want to know is HOW MANY people agree.so do u see what im saying?sometimes i dont care what ur in-depth opinion is..just if u think the idea is good or not..AND if u cant handle a personal attack over the enternet...u shouldnt be using that site anyway...agreed?or no?...
edit on 13-11-2011 by J05HUA because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by J05HUA because: (no reason given)

top topics

join