It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A team of 5 International astronauts recently completed training which called for to live undergroun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

On Friday (Nov. 4), six volunteer astronauts will "return" to Earth from a mock mission to Mars, after spending 18 months isolated from the world in a special.........

Cave Astronauts????

In September a training mission was organized by the European Space Agency to simulate aspects of a real space exploration.This mission took place in a complex cave system on the Italian island of Sardinia in the Mediterranean.
edit on 4-11-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

Even for astronauts, life in the dark, cool, humid underground environment can be a completely new situation, with interesting psychological and logistical problems," Loredana Bessone, an astronaut trainer at the European Astronaut Center in Cologne, Germany, said in a statement. "The cave environment is isolated from the outside world. There is confinement, minimal privacy, technical challenges and limited equipment and supplies for hygiene and comfort — just like in space

What I find most interesting is that this gives the impression that astronauts to expected to adjust and be able to survive in whatever the environment..in this case a cave. This no doubt must be quite and adjustment for them.

Bessone has used caves as training grounds before, but this recent excursion was the first that included such a diverse group of astronauts. The team was made up of European astronauts Tim Peake and Thomas Pesquet, NASA astronaut Randolph Bresnik, Japanese astronaut Norishige Kanai, and Russian cosmonaut Sergey Ryzhikov.

Something that I hadn't really thought about was communication issues...and This would make that obvious, where in space we haven't so far had to communicate with others

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

This has been posted before believe but I was in a rush so my 2 cents:

If they really are going into the cave system on mars I really think they should take the time to explore our poles further and explore what may be under the ice caps. I dunno what may lie in a Martian cave but a gut feeling tells me it may not be good.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I dunno what may lie in a Martian cave but a gut feeling tells me it may not be good.

That makes no sense. How can you have a "gut feeling" about a planet that is 225 million km away?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
I dunno what may lie in a Martian cave but a gut feeling tells me it may not be good.

Potential probes should of detected "?" good or bad already 5 years ago if not more. Sometims I feel the Mars rovers and landers go up with "other" technology for secret studies that isnt mentioned..
edit on 11/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join