It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon Is Upsidedown Tonight ! Las Vegas, Nevada

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
What I am saying is that the moon is displaying a characteristic at the 36th parallel that is only suposed to happen on the equator and 17 degrees above or below it...

We already explained that the location of Earth's equator is not exactly relevant to your argument because:

1. The Moon's orbital plane does not coincide with the earth's equator, and

2. The 23° tilt of the Earth means that Las Vegas may be above the Moon's orbital plane during the day (in the fall/winter), but it crosses that plane (then falls below it) as the Earth rotates in a 24-hour period.

The Moon's Orbital Plane

edit on 11/4/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

First lets get "The Chunk" issue out of the way. The chunk is actually the end of a branch of a tree in the night in front of the picture !!! "Not Mice"
As far as me "Having to look up The Moons Orbital Plane" in relation to the ecliptic? No you need to look that up. I already know what I am talking about. The guesswork i.e. cheese etc sounds cute and funny but it is not factual. Also The Animation is backed up by nothing. Post a link that says that animation in this thread you refer to, is the animation that is backed by Thousands Of Years? of observations? Are you saying they were using that same animation in the 600 AD or 400 BC? Thousands of Years you say? Cmon. Don't cheat and don't embaress yourself with references to facts that don't exist !!!!!!

Okay so where is the picture of the moon 6 hours previous so we can compare the two of them and see how the moon turned by 90 degrees. Hopefully you included common items in both pictures to use as reference. I'd hate for someone to think you were withholding information.

Yes, mankind has been observing the moon for thousands of years and has gotten pretty accurate. The animation is just a easy to understand example of what you are witnessing (at least I thought it was easy). Although it shows the view from the southern hemisphere. Now I admit I haven't located one of the computers belonging to the maya, egyptian, inca, sumarian, or other advanced societies. If I do find one and can make one of those ancient batteries with orange juice, lead, zinc, and a clay pot. I'm am sure that I will find the very same animation (only moving in the opposite direction) on its hard drive.

I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about, I just mentioned you should look those things up, since you seem to be confused as to the normal movements of the earth, moon, and sun. I base that on a similar discussion you started last week about the sun rising too far to the east and too early. It was a neat discussion.

The link you posted shows exactly what people like me have been saying. And yes, the information in that link is also a continuation of the thousands of years of observations of the moon.

So now it gets confusing, are you saying the moon is behaving normal or not? If it is not normal I'll be looking forward to the photo for comparison.

Have a great day folks.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I am actually agog at the level of idiocy being displayed in this thread. Soylent Green has explained why the moon looks like it does in a perfectly reasonable and understandable fashion but because that absolutely rational, FACTUAL explanation doesn't fit certain peoples' bizarre paranoia, it's being scoffed at.

Some of you really need to remove your tin foil hats and EDUCATE yourselves. Some of the crap I'm reading here beggars belief. And from grown adults too. Jesus.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
reply to post by Trublbrwing

The "not paying attention" was previously being done by the people who somehow think the Moon is acting differently than it should be acting.

If you look the orbital mechanics of the Moon, and understand the Moon's orbital plane, and understand how the Moon will look different at Moonrise and Moonset based on the phase of the moon, the location from which you are observing, and the time of the year you are observing...

...you will easily see that this is completely normal.

Take the time to understand why the different moon phases look the way they do from different locations on Earth and at different times of the year, and then please tell me that the Moon is not right. As far as I can tell, it looks exact;y like it is supposed to look.

I am fully aware of how the Moon looks based on the time of day, calendar date and location of the observer. With the exception of earth shine there are very few occasions where the Moon should look like a boat anywhere north of the equator. Do you have any idea how many pictures there are of this upturned crescent? With all the lights and distractions here on earth something very strange would be necessary to divert someones attention to something as common as the Moon.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

:shk:

You wrote this:

I can say this however. Address the links I provided earlier in this thread and stay on topic please.

I presume you are referring to this paragraph?? - - -

(Second paragraph you pointed out, from this link):

Now it's easy to understand why the moon looks the way it does in the sky. The moon appears to be a crescent just before and after the new moon. During the waxing phase, after the new moon, it's visible immediately after sunset above the western horizon. (It may be visible before sunset too, but it's harder to spot because sunlight washes it out.) The moon is between us and the sun at this point, so the side we see is mostly dark except for a lit crescent. The crescent is part of the side facing the sun, so it points to the sun in the sky, i.e., down, since the sun has just set. If you're near the equator, the sun sets more or less straight down, so the crescent does the same--that is, it looks like a dish. The angle varies quite a bit over the course of the year due to the earth's axial tilt and so on, but on average the crescent is centered at the 6 o'clock position. In more temperate latitudes, the sun sinks at an angle, so the crescent points in that direction. At 30 degrees north latitude (about New Orleans), the crescent on average is at the 5 o'clock position on the lunar face; at 45 degrees north (Minneapolis), it's at 4:30. At the north pole, where in the summer the sun doesn't set but instead makes a circuit of the horizon, the moon's crescent on average is at the 3 o'clock position in the waxing phase. All of this is reversed when the moon is waning. In the final quarter, the crescent moon can be seen above the eastern horizon at sunrise--on average, in the 6 o'clock position at the equator, 7 o'clock in New Orleans, 7:30 in Minneapolis, and so on. You can figure out for yourself where the crescent is at different times in the southern hemisphere.

It appears you've taken just ONE source that attempted to answer someone else's question, and then read into it a little too much, in order to conflate a very normal orbital orientation of the Earth-Moon system into something wholly illogical....that somehow *you* and a handful of others are the *only ones* to see something "wrong"....yet, sticking to this impression and personal belief, then go on to ignore all the science that clearly explains it more thoroughly than that paragraph posted from the external source, just above.

Just that one *answer* above is not comprehensive, hence many others here are showing you more details, for a fuller understanding.

It comes down to perspective, and orientations....and the sometimes optical illusions that are a result.
edit on Fri 4 November 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Perhaps you missed the tree top or branch in his image, now it is levitating in outer space.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Let me help you out here Soylent. The sun appears to go around the earth. This apparent path of the sun is called the ecliptic. The ecliptic is roughly in line with the equator. This means that at the equator if you look up at noon the sun is often directly overhead. This path of the sun deviates from the equator by a maximum of 23.5 degrees. The path of the sun crosses the equator at the equinoxes, fall and spring. The 23.5 degree variation mark is hit halfway between these two occurrences, one each above and below the equator. That coincides with the soltices, summer and winter. The moon appears to travel across the sky never more than 5 degrees away from the path of the sun. Do the math.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Originally posted by Illustronic
I was wondering when this mouth's "the moon is upside down' thread would happen.
News flash! the earth rotates on it's axis.

Come on, people.

I love a good conspiracy as much as the next person.

But the moon "flipping over" is clearly due to the earth's rotation. Look at the animation posted.

There may be things to get worked up over, but NOT this.

Yeah everybody, just LOOK at the animation, it is all the proof anyone needs. Now wait here, I have an animation of a coyote making rocket shoes out of parts he purchased from Acme Industries.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

So you are an expert? If you are offended by the thread then LEAVE !!! You co signing someone means nothing scientifically to me.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The moon appears to travel across the sky never more than 5 degrees away from the path of the sun

Actually if you watch the position of the sun and moon you will notice that they trace each others opposite path throughout the summer and winter. Example where the sun would be in the summer the moon will follow that path in the winter and vice versa. It's actually pretty cool to observe and often during the winter when it's cold and miserable outside I will look up at the moon and visualize the sun being there in the summer months and wish it were warm out!!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
...With the exception of earth shine there are very few occasions where the Moon should look like a boat anywhere north of the equator.

I've already explained that the Moon's orbital plane and the Earth's equator do not coincide with each other. The Moon's orbital plane should be considered to be "The Equator" for your argument.

I've also explained that (at this time of the year) much of the Northern Hemisphere will CROSS OVER that orbital plane of the moon during the Earth's rotation during a 24-hour period. Therefore, it could be said that the northern hemisphere IS sometime at or near the "equator" (which, in this case, could be considered to be the Moon's orbital plane) during some parts of a 24-hour day.

Look at this graphic below, then picture where Las Vegas is, then picture where Las Vegas is as the Earth rotates:

The Moon's Orbital Plane

Do you have any idea how many pictures there are of this upturned crescent? With all the lights and distractions here on earth something very strange would be necessary to divert someones attention to something as common as the Moon.

I'm saying an upturned crescent is sometimes completely normal...so I have no doubt people have taken many photographs of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Okay, here are the moon set times for Las Vegas Nevada today...

www.timeanddate.com...

This confirms the times posted for your picture...and it also confirms the view of the Moon as it was setting at the time of your photo earlier in the AM of today...

If you venture out tonight around the same time as you did last night, I venture you will see much the same thing you did last night...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Let me help you out here Soylent. The sun appears to go around the earth. This apparent path of the sun is called the ecliptic. The ecliptic is roughly in line with the equator. This means that at the equator if you look up at noon the sun is often directly overhead. This path of the sun deviates from the equator by a maximum of 23.5 degrees. The path of the sun crosses the equator at the equinoxes, fall and spring. The 23.5 degree variation mark is hit halfway between these two occurrences, one each above and below the equator. That coincides with the soltices, summer and winter. The moon appears to travel across the sky never more than 5 degrees away from the path of the sun. Do the math.

Yeah, but during a 24-hour period, parts of North America (and Las Vegas) can cross over the Moon's orbital plane, or come very close to crossing over it.

It is that Lunar Orbital Plane that could be considered to be "the equator" in your argument, so Las Vegas does come close to crossing right over that "equator" as the Earth rotates.
The Moon's Orbital Plane

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

I was wondering when this mouth's "the moon is upside down' thread would happen.
News flash! the earth rotates on it's axis.

Come on, people.

I love a good conspiracy as much as the next person.

But the moon "flipping over" is clearly due to the earth's rotation. Look at the animation posted.

There may be things to get worked up over, but NOT this.

Yeah everybody, just LOOK at the animation, it is all the proof anyone needs. Now wait here, I have an animation of a coyote making rocket shoes out of parts he purchased from Acme Industries.

OK -- So then please tell me what is factually wrong with that animation, and please explain WHY it is wrong.

Considering the Moon's orbital mechanics and the Earth's rotation, it looks like exactly what I expect.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I have that video in HD, I couldn't load it here and can't remember my Youtube password, (don't need it from home), so I had to make an extremely compressed animated gif, importing every 3rd frame, 60% lossy, 106 colors, and tiny 300 pixel wide to have it load here.

I'd defiantly like to make my own sometime on a trip out west.

An animation in HD is still just an animation, it isn't real no matter how many pixels it contains.
Just for fun, look up every time you go outside and let us know when things start looking strange.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Excellent illustration of how the Moon's orbital plane will rise in relation to the Equator of the Earth in the winter...One could picture the Earth rotating on the axis and Las Vegas, NV, being on the right side of that picture...as it the Moon revolves and the Earth rotates, depending on the time of year, the Moon would actually appear upside down in the sky just before it sets...

I am around five degrees further North than the OP...I have seen the Upside Down Moon before...Actually, it was right around the time of the huge earthquake/tsunami in SE Asia...Rarely am I up around the time of the setting moon at night...It caused me some alarm at the time, because I was aware the earth shaking can cause wobble on the axis...but, just another act of nature...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I was out hitting golf balls about midnight last night EST and can I attest to the moon being the boatmoon. I've been doing this for years and the moon always seems to having something unusual to offer, even if it is perfectly normal.

I agree on both counts . The boatmoon is beautifully interesting -- and completely normal.

Completely normal?
You mean like hitting golf balls outside in the dark normal?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I was out hitting golf balls about midnight last night EST and can I attest to the moon being the boatmoon. I've been doing this for years and the moon always seems to having something unusual to offer, even if it is perfectly normal.

I agree on both counts . The boatmoon is beautifully interesting -- and completely normal.

Completely normal?
You mean like hitting golf balls outside in the dark normal?

I don't know about "slightlyskeptical", but my driving range has lights, and the Moon is usually bright enough to see even when I'm under the lights.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's not a crime to lack math skills. Just admit it and I will do the math for you in an easily understood format. Hold your horses and let me repond. If you must, agrue amongst yourselves.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I have that video in HD, I couldn't load it here and can't remember my Youtube password, (don't need it from home), so I had to make an extremely compressed animated gif, importing every 3rd frame, 60% lossy, 106 colors, and tiny 300 pixel wide to have it load here.

I'd defiantly like to make my own sometime on a trip out west.

An animation in HD is still just an animation, it isn't real no matter how many pixels it contains.
Just for fun, look up every time you go outside and let us know when things start looking strange.

Well, just because someone says "the Moon looks strange" doesn't mean that the Moon is actually acting strange.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join