It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't Big Tobacco in the pockets of our legislators?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
In 1970, Congress enacted the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act, which, among other things, prohibited advertisement of tobacco products on television, radio and later, the internet. They push it so vehemently into our children at government schools to never smoke. And recently (though I don't remember when), I saw a story on the news about how the FDA is planning to slap graphic images on tobacco products detailing what happens when you smoke too much. So, why are they doing all this? Is Big Tobacco not paying enough of their profits to the feds?
edit on 11/3/2011 by ForeverDusk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I will tell you why. The tax being put on Tobacco is helping The Government stay alive financially . They are in thier pockets..They get to sell the poison and health hazard to the people and the Govt. collects the taxation from it. A win win situation. Thank for the thread op s/f
edit on 3-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: added txt

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
I will tell you why. The tax being put on Tobacco is helping The Government stay alive financially . Thank for the thread op s/f

But that seems to contradict logic (but then again, it IS the Government we're talking about)

I mean, if the cigarette-tax was a large part of propping up the fed, then you'd think they would PUSH people to smoke and relax restrictions.

It's a great ? though by the OP and something I've wondered at myself. My only theory is that the tobacco companies are now so intertwined from a stock-diversity standpoint, that punishing the tobacco companies is like cutting 1 head off of the hydra. There's enough other "heads" by way of pharma, energy, food companies that there's enough to keep the stocks healthy. For example: one of my bosses where I work has made a TON of money on Phillip Morris stock. That stock has done very well not because of tobacco but from all the other industries they've bought

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have wondered about this as well..half the time the gov. wants to kill off everyone and reduce the population, why not encourage smoking and let people kill themselves?? They make a ton of money off smokers, so does big pharma...seems kinda crazy and a$$ backwards. Oh well

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Maybe it is to make it look like they are doing something; the FDA I mean. Because let's face it, no matter what the FDA says or puts on the packages, it is not going to deter many people at all. The tobacco companies know that despite their poisonous products, there will always be a market for them. So I doubt they are worried about this in the least.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

I will tell you why. They don't want to push it too hard because they don't want to be liable with the tobacco companies. They are making plenty off the tax's for tabacco and are paying plenty so far for the medical cost due to it's health hazard already nation wide.. Thats why the push for The Health care Bill in part I believe

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Despite all the advertisement, how significantly have the smoking figures dropped? Or increased?

I think that they will sell regardless. I also believe they will then turn around and say doing this or that isn't enough so now we have to put a higher tax on cigarettes.

Guess what?

People will still buy them.

I think they both have the market cornered. The government makes a killing from taxing the cigarettes making more from the citizens (like they do here in Australia) AND the people who choose to quit end up getting smoking related problems which surprise surprise puts them onto the budget of big pharma anyway.

Yes, the government makes it look like they are doing something but really they are just trying to get more money from people. The Cigarette/Big Pharma companies still get t make a killing too. We get screwed.

Until we just quit, it will remain a vicious cycle.
edit on 4-11-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

top topics

join