It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conan Obrien shows how scripted the Media is.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't really have anything to say about it, it just made me laugh. Interested to hear what others might think.

edit on 3-11-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I found that both funny and sad at the same time.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

You see stuff like this (the media reaction - not the same sex marriage...that's a completely different conversation) and you wonder why people don't see it & why masses still choke down the generic gray paste the MSM tries to call news...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
and to think it is like that with everything that comes out of MSM's mouth

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
He's guilty, more or less, of the same thing. His own show is scripted enough for somebody to make this..

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
That's unreal, seriously down to the last word.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
wow... I started to realize how insane it was after the Iowa straw poll, when all the anchors were saying the same line "we have a new top tier and it's Romney, Perry, and Bachmann".. all of them, verbatim. But this one puts it over the top. Just goes to show how easy it is to control the information and opinions thereof

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by garbageface

Video was very well done, but its not really the same now is it?
Now if you could do the same thing but montaging all the late night shows instead of just Conan...

edit on 3-11-2011 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Were you under the impression that network news anchors write their own stories until now? It's well known that they just read what is given to them, as made fun of in Anchorman years ago. What is given to them is also given to the anchors of the same network in all the other states, so it should be no surprise. If you go to the websites to read the same news, you'll find a lot of the exact same wording that was used on television, because it's from the same story.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
I found that both funny and sad at the same time.

Ditto for me. after about the 5th person repeating the same thing, my smile sort of faded and I just starting shaking my head.

It's not that I don't realize how scripted our MSM is....it's just disgusting to see it in that context.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Lucky for me I don't live in America. Our news is no where near as bad.

Ofcourse different news stations in different areas cover the exact same stories often from the same angles.... but they don't just regurgitate the exact same words over and over and over. Thats just ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good Catch....Too bad Conan lost market share getting forced to go to TBS. He might have gotten higher ratings for the marriage then Tiny Tim did on Johhny Carson for NBC.
I was a little kid, but remember the publicity over it.

While we're on the subject of Late Nite...Leno and Letterman are so cookie cutter these days,Conan should have skipped late nite all toghether. He would have a better following if he stayed off the air. Do specials like Cobert's Xmas. THAT was funny.

Just sayin.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
That's unreal, seriously down to the last word.

Stand by for knowledge from a former television evening news producer (me): It's called a Press Release.

I have news for you that you probably already knew; only the pretty people get on air sitting behind the big desk. News anchors aren't journalists. They may have been at one time, but once the News Director pulls out the chair for them, they cease being journalists and become talking heads whose only job is to read what is on the teleprompter.

What goes on the teleprompter is the result of a collaboration between the producer and the director of the newscast, and the content falls into three categories: Network feed, locally gathered news, and press releases. News gathered off of the network feed and locally generated stories should be pretty self-explanatory; but as shown by the responses in the thread thus far, folks don't know much about press releases.

A press release is authorized and distributed by the subject of the story itself, a blatant self-promotion that is packaged up and faxed or emailed to producers of newscasts all over the country. Basically it is an announcement of a special upcoming event with no real 'news value" at all, which is generally used as filler when the show is running short. I can pretty much guarantee that the pieces collected by the O'Brien show came from the last minute of the various newscasts after everything else they had scheduled to run had already played. The anchors were simply killing time until the end bumper played.

This is also a nice example of creating the "news." The producers of the Conan O'Brien show are quite aware that press releases are generally run "as is," with little to no change in the wording from station to station. Getting all of these various stations to say the same thing is child's play for those who know how the system works. Once they do, VOILA! Conan gets 4 minutes of original, comedic programming - for free, and with minimum effort.

Easy Peasy.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My first double post. Hmmmm. How does that happen?
edit on 11/4/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
OldCorp? I'll bet you were a pretty intimidating Producer with that rifle over your shoulder in Corporate meetings.

Nice touch.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but.
Conan O'Brien seems to be pushing the envelope on late night TV.

Seriously though, We know all forms of TV is aired for a purpose.
The question is, what is the agenda behind airing a same sex marriage on a popular TV show?
Desensitizing if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
OldCorp? I'll bet you were a pretty intimidating Producer with that rifle over your shoulder in Corporate meetings.

Nice touch.

Let's just say I always had the last say.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

That's not really the same thing at all. He does a show on a set every night. One man, one show, and he has been doing it (ignoring the differing names of the shows) for many many years.

That's very different to 20 different news stations repeating the exact same words verbatim.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Once again, Andy Richter speaks the truth.
They need to get an envelope, pronto!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

While we're on the subject of Late Nite........

pssst. Here's a lil secret for ya:
The subject is not 'Late Night' Shows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join