It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censored Artwork by children at Oakland Museum

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
www.indybay.org...

seriouslyfreespeech.ca...

www.jadaliyya.com...

I find this despicable. I was at barnes and noble today and went to the news section and picked up a magazine called the "washington report" I believe it was and came across an article that talks about the banning of Gaza children's artwork, i almost started crying inside the store and I am a grown man. Poor childrens artwork is being prevented to be seen in the country that champions freedom of speech. This is one of many paintings that the Oakland Museum is not allowing to be seen all the while holocaust and WW2 paintings and others are allowed to be inside. Is this what the city of Oakland, CA Represents? Why cant these children have their voices heard?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We all know 'why' it was banned. Are we really surprised at all?
I like it though....how more of the hypocrisy in the west is coming to light.
More and more people are becoming aware...........

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
not only should it not be banned it should be put side by side with the art made by Israeli children every time they lost their parents and classmates due to the Palestinians terror attacks, and learn a lesson and maybe, just maybe the next generation might stop butchering one another

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm with you. Censorship is a fact despite what our gov. claims. And especially about the wars and ANY other viewpoint. Like children. From the mouths of babes. Who has a more "un Biased" view than them? I learned a lot from these drawings. Thanks for bringing it.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is so saddening, words cannot describe how angry and powerless you feel seeing these. You just know someone will come into the thread saying it was Hamas making these. Israel never does anything wrong ever. I can see them taking a punishing in the near future and to be honest they deserve to get the snot bombed out of them.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm with you. Censorship is a fact despite what our gov. claims. And especially about the wars and ANY other viewpoint. Like children. From the mouths of babes. Who has a more "un Biased" view than them? I learned a lot from these drawings. Thanks for bringing it.

May i ask what you have learned from these drawings?

Well besides the censorship stuff. I am curious, before i go into analysing the situation logically, i'd like to see where you are coming from.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
O read the article a few months back. because of pressure from hard core Jews and Israeli supporters. They called it propaganda and lies. They said the children were lier's..(bunch of A holes). It is a real story made front page news. and then quickly disappeared from the headlines when the next exciting thing occurred.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's sad that children should have to see or live in these kinds of conditions. And I am disgusted with the way America sits back and allows this to happen. How many countries have we gone into to help free the people? So why aren't we helping to free the people of Gaza? The next time Benny opens his mouth to cry about the holocaust I hope someone knocks his teeth down his throat.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
These kid's did not see anything
they have been living in America there
whole life.

This is the crap their parents are brainwashing
them with!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, OP. As heartbreaking as these things are, it is really nice that thanks to our modern age, the censored images and voices are finding a way to reach people everywhere, exposing the censorer and the obvious agenda behind the censorship. And people have no choice but to wake up.

Just one thing OP, I disagree that this is a representation of Oakland, as the third link you posted goes into detail about how the city of Oakland rallied together in defiance of MOCHA to be sure the exhibit could still go on as planned in a new location.

SnF, thanks again for the post.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

see like that

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

n September 8, the Museum of Children's Art (MOCHA) in Oakland, California, canceled "A Child's View from Gaza," an exhibition scheduled to open just two weeks later after months of planning. The Berkeley-based Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA), which was working on the exhibition in partnership with MOCHA, protested strongly but to no avail.

The planned exhibit consisted of Gaza children's depictions of their experiences in relation to Operation Cast Lead, the Israeli bombing and invasion of the densely populated Gaza strip in winter 2008-09, which killed about 1400 Palestinians, including some 300 children. In crayon, pencil, and marker, the drawings show guns, tanks, missiles, explosions, blood, and Israeli soldiers.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
they have been living in America there
whole life.

them with!!!

That's a bold statement. How do you know. Please post a link.

This article says the children were from Gaza.

www.jadaliyya.com...
edit on 3-11-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
They picutres and sad and revealing.. Now would it not be funny if peeps in the area printed a load of them off and stuck them up at points of interest...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
they have been living in America their
whole life.

them with!!!

Oh really? These kids haven't seen anything? There are numerous videos on YouTube that says your wrong.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
not only should it not be banned it should be put side by side with the art made by Israeli children every time they lost their parents and classmates due to the Palestinians terror attacks, and learn a lesson and maybe, just maybe the next generation might stop butchering one another

How about we take the 20 or so killed in israel and put them next to the 2000+ palestinian dead....

would that make the discrepancy more clear for you? but of course it won't... isreal is just a victim... an eternal victim... oy veh...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruk

May i ask what you have learned from these drawings?

The children's viewpoint. I saw what they saw. Tanks rolling and firing main guns (with the round coming out even) at people who are dressed in civilian clothes and bleeding and dying. Followed by heavily armed smiling soldiers.

I saw burning mosques.(thats their church)

I saw one picture with the viewpoint (from behind) of stone throwing Palestinians attacking tanks and soldiers armed with rifles.

If these drawings are genuine, then one gets an uncensored view of current events in the occupied territories. And that we censor them here speaks volumes as well. These events are not lied about by Western Media, just omitted. We hear rumors but have to wait to see the truth this way.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think it's really important for us (I'm speaking about America, because this story happened in America, and I can only speak on behalf of what goes on in my own country) because all day long we hear from the "leaders of our country" that Israel is our greatest ally and therefor it's a country full of winged saints. I don't think we need to put these posters next to posters of Pakistani kids murdered and storm in wagging our chubby arrogant American finger about how the blood is on everyone's hands, and think of the children, take it from us, peace is the answer, we know what's best. Yeah, it's the most tragic thing ever for everyone involved. I think what we should be taking from this is that this is a DEEP DEEP DEEPLY rooted issue that is older than our country is, and we have no business taking sides in a centuries-old bloodbath for personal-and-special-interest reasons. Every child's voice deserves to be heard, we should be aware of the facts from every side and yes we should care deeply for the sake of humanity, but we're just not qualified to go play hall monitor here.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that the drawings are the work of children.
They are all in the same style and with well depicted human forms.
Even the tanks and other machines are showing a lot of detail.
It looks more like the work of an experienced cartoonist.

And would they be writing the word "Gaza" in English?

edit on 3-11-2011 by OhZone because: added thought

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Gee, I have wondered for years why CRAYONS were not permitted to get into Gaza.

NOW I know. Thank you!

en.wikipedia.org...

Household items. A4 paper, crayons, stationary, soccer balls, and musical instruments have been, at times, banned for import. According to AFP other banned goods include toilet paper, though the BBC lists it as permitted According to the Haaretz the following items were banned in 2009: books, candles, crayons, clothing, cups, cutlery, crockery, electric appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines, glasses, light bulbs, matches, musical instruments, needles, sheets, blankets, shoes, mattresses, spare machine and car parts, and threads.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join