It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sprouts. Cheap, easy and nutritious.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
So, there is alot of talk of eating through an "event".... storing foods has been a main focus. We can also hunt, fish, gather and grow our own.

Many of us have been stocking up on dried beans and legumes for long term storage. Perhaps unaware that we can grow very nutritious sprouts from them.

I live in NY and winter is upon us. This means no fresh veggies for the winter. I did do a lot of canning and drying over the summer, but it just isn't the same. It doesn't have that crunch, it doesn't feel alive. This is when I came upon sprouts and greens.

Sprouts can be grown without light and can be turned into greens with a few days of moderate sunlight. You may be familiar with alfalfa, watercress, mung beans, bamboo shoots or chia seeds. These are sprouts and greens.

Basically, you take a handfull of seeds, legumes or beans, soak them in water for a few hours or overnight and then rinse and drain them a couple of times, until they sprout. I am sure after 3 months of rice and beans with rice and beans on the side it would be a welcome change. Plus they can be grown inside, during the winter months or if there is an issue with growing outside.

I will post some links for you all to look through. As you go through the information you will see just how nutritious they are. You can buy organic seeds to sprout and have the best of the best, but you can also buy huge bags of these things dirt cheap and they store for a very long time.

I have been using a mason jar with cheese cloth over the opening with much success.

The sprout people
Wiki on sprouting
Sprouting. Basics.

From wiki:

Sprouts are said to be rich in digestible energy, bioavailable vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, and phytochemicals, as these are necessary for a germinating plant to grow.[3] These nutrients are essential for human health.

Also,

“Sprouting grains causes increased activities of hydrolytic enzymes, improvements in the contents of total proteins, fat, certain essential amino acids, total sugars, B-group vitamins, and a decrease in dry matter, starch and anti-nutrients. The increased contents of protein, fat, fibre and total ash are only apparent and attributable to the disappearance of starch. However, improvements in amino acid composition, B-group vitamins, sugars, protein and starch digestibilities, and decrease in phytates and protease inhibitors are the metabolic effects of the sprouting process.”

Well, there you have it. Sprouts for everday health and sprouts for survival.

Cheap, quick and easy.

I had to share it with you all, its my new hobby.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

edit on 3-11-2011 by redstorm because: Subbed.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

This is a great idea, I never thought of it for greens, "salad"....thanks for the tip and maybe save up a bottle of vinaigrette for the occasion

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neOrevolutionist

I am new to the whole thing, but apparently thay can be steamed, used in breads, cookies, soups, salads . I did some sumflower greens for sandwiches because the lettuce at the store is subpar to my lovely garden lettuce. Looking into it though they would be awesome as a survival food and just plain old healthy for day to day living. When I got into canning this year it proved to be somewhat expensive to set up and it got addictive so I had to keep going out to buy jars. I can experiment and perfect this until the cows come home. I will be checking out the bookstores and the web for recipes. Alot of the "raw food" sites have recipes. Fun, fun fun!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Great info, thanks!

Although to be honest, just reading the title made my face scrunch-up (my childhood hate of sprouts has endured!)

>.<

But if I'm starving ,I'm sure they will be the best thing I've ever tasted!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jewells
Great info, thanks!

Although to be honest, just reading the title made my face scrunch-up (my childhood hate of sprouts has endured!)

>.<

But if I'm starving ,I'm sure they will be the best thing I've ever tasted!

Cheers

Come on now....they aren't brussel sprouts! The ones I have tried are pretty tasteless really. Good to hide in the kids food. I remember watercress as a kid and really liked it. I was never given anything other than brussel sprouts besides those. So yeah, I never thought about sprouts as food...until now.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I just love bean sprouts!!

You make a lot of sense!

S & F for a good post!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Great resource, I think I read long ago that alfalfa sprouts are so full of everything you need to thrive that they could be the biggest super food we have.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00

I just love bean sprouts!!

You make a lot of sense!

S & F for a good post!

Hah! You must be the first person I ever heard (not literally, obviously) that said I make alot of sense. That just tickles me. When I did my first batch, everyone gave me that look....I get that look quite often.

I would love for anyone with experience to post us some recipes. I am trying to learn as much as possible in regards to food and medicine. Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Great resource, I think I read long ago that alfalfa sprouts are so full of everything you need to thrive that they could be the biggest super food we have.

That is what I am getting from my research too, I have stocked up on quinoa, which is apparently a superfood. I will be attempting to grow some next year, just to see what happens, also I would like to find some amaranth seed, which is a close relation.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Quiona was the first grain (well, pseudograin actually) that I sprouted and they taste, well, like nothing really. I boiled them once (without sprouting) to see what the main flavor was and it wasn't that great to be honest, but it picks up flavor nicely, so its good for pilafs. Anyway, I guess when you sprout it, it turns from superfood, into superman. So there you have it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm all about eating nutritious foods these days. Am all about producing the more exotic things, as they are usually the most expensive at health food stores.

Will be growing sprouts this winter. Right now I'm trying to perfect strawberry and peach kombucha, and having fun with local goat milk derived kefir. They both yummy and very good for you!

S + F

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Im sorry, all that you have stated may be proven fact and they may really be almost a superfood but the simple fact is that they taste f****** DISGUSTING

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I'm all about eating nutritious foods these days. Am all about producing the more exotic things, as they are usually the most expensive at health food stores.

Will be growing sprouts this winter. Right now I'm trying to perfect strawberry and peach kombucha, and having fun with local goat milk derived kefir. They both yummy and very good for you!

S + F

Exactly. Most anything can be made at home from scratch. You don't have to buy comercial garbage and you don't have to spend a fortune in the organic section. If you have the drive you can make it all at home and your friends and family will love you for it. I even grow my own herbs for teas and medicine, most of them are practically weeds anyway, you plant them any they just grow like mad. Uh...what they heck is kombucha anyway? Is it flavored kefir, or am I way off base?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Kombucha is to tea, what kefir is to milk. It's cultured with beneficial bacteria and yeasts.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Im sorry, all that you have stated may be proven fact and they may really be almost a superfood but the simple fact is that they taste f****** DISGUSTING

You don't have to be sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I have found that most of them are pretty tasteless and could be hidden quite easily in all kinds of foods. The greens are super tasty though.

I wasn't really posting to say that everyone should eat sprouts everyday, although if you wanted to you could....I just think it would be a viable option in a survival situation.

Variety is the spice of life, or so they say. It also prevents death and sickness from nutritional deficiency so it's one to keep in mind. It may also assist in appetite fatigue. Or, lets say you have ten bags of rice (rice can be sprouted) and ten bags of beans, running water and no cooking fuel. Thats a connundrum. It could play out any old way. Maybe you have a very short supply of water, in that case, sprouts wouldn't be a great option.

We have no idea what tommorrow will bring and it is good to have a little of everything for various scenarios. We have a great community here, who share their knowledge and experience. I thought this one was good to share.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
bnow i keep looking at my chia pet and think does scooby do really need that ?
ummm whats for dinner darling (chia pet tonight partyyyyyyy

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Scooby will need a haircut anyway. Why not?

Chia wiki

15 facts about chia seeds

Chia seeds have more Omega-3 fatty acids than any other plant food, including flax seeds.

Chia seeds are about 20% protein.

When soaked in water for 30 minutes, chia seeds form a thick gel. This gel also forms in the stomach when chia seeds are consumed. That sounds bad, but researchers believe it actually slows down the rate at which digestive enzymes turn carbs into sugar, making it especially beneficial for diabetics and others with blood sugar issues.

Chia seeds are so high in antioxidants that they do not spoil easily and can be stored for long periods, unlike flax seeds.

Scooby doesn't need all that hair....at least pull one out and taste it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius

Exactly. Most anything can be made at home from scratch. You don't have to buy comercial garbage

That is pretty much what I have found out, I can duplicate many of todays food flavors, Comfort food type garbage too.
Plus I can delete the MSG or HFCS.
The only thing I cannot really do is duplicate some canned foods taste.
Example, if I can meat it is gonna be in the pressure cooker a minimum of 90 minutes, commercial has the capability to flash cook alot.
So flavor and texture are not the same.
Excellent idea sprouting, I've seen some vids but never really looked into it.
Alfalfa on a sandwich to replace lettuce rocks, well if you're like me and drag the sandwich through the garden.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yeah. I drag it through the garden too, but summer is over
I haven't looked into pressure canning. Do you can in jars like water bath canning? I would love to be able to can veges without pickling them. I really enjoyed canning and everything tastes so awesome, maybe I'll look into pressure canning next year. Although, I'll probably wind up blowing out the kitchen. Me and technology, we don't get along too well.

Back on topic, just grab something from the cupboard and try and sprout it. It is so easy, and as I have already stated several times a good thing to perfect for the future and whatever it might hold.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Ughhh,I failed to read OP properly AGAIN!!

lol, sorry (Was tired & just skimming & saw 'key' word sprout!)

Shoots & sprouts are totally different, agreed, & are great in salads.

(Was wondering how you grow brussel sprouts from seeds, legumes or beans!!!)

Ha ha, I'm such a derp...

(What do you think my chances of survival are??:lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join