It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Vet Gets Eviction Notice After Hanging American Flag on Navy Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but get a little angry at the thought that this man was evicted after flying his flag on flag day. The sad thing about this, I think, is that nobody will care because they don't understand what it represents. To me, it represents who we are as a nation, and represents our rights as citizens. It represents our rights to protest, have free speech, live the way we want (even though those rights are slowly being eroded). There has to be a time when you have to stand up for what you believe in and say enough is enough.

A Navy veteran says he’s being evicted from his Oregon apartment complex for displaying an American flag on Navy Day. The apartment management company delivered the eviction notice to Edward Zivica after he hung the Old Glory in a common area at the Springfield, Ore., complex, KVAL.com reported. If he doesn't agree to refrain from any more such flag displays, the complex told him, it's anchors aweigh by midnight Nov. 29. Zivica said he's been displaying the flag for at least a year on holidays such as Veteran's Day and Memorial Day.

Management insists that the flag eviction is not due to a lack of patriotism, and the complex even installed a lit flag pole outside the building after it was requested by some tenants, the report said. But Zivica criticized the pole, saying it lacks a pulley system, hence you can’t lower the flag to half mast, the report said. “I’m not doing something so terrible,” he told the station. Terry McDonald, the CEO of St. Vincent de Paul, the management company, told the station that the notice was for “hanging something outside the building without permission.”

I realize that the management of the apartment complex had put up a flag pose outside, but still, I think everyone has a right to fly a flag if they so choose. I know there are many implications of this such as he is only renting, therefore he has no right to fly it. However, since he is paying money for the apartment, shouldn't he be able to fly the flag as long as it does not cause damage to the property? I don't mean to cause a racial debate, but where I live, there is a large Hispanic community here, and they fly thier Mexican flags everywhere they see fit, even on apartments, trailors, whatever, so why can't a veteran who has fought for the rights of this country fly his flag? And for those that don't live here in America, what is the policy of flying flags where you live? Also, I have seen other articles concerning this type of thing with homeowner associations-

Homeowners’ association tells veteran to remove flagpole
news.yahoo.com...

Florida Vietnam vet told to take down flag
forums.military.com...

Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day, Wife Says
www.foxnews.com...

Also, it seems that this type of behavior and attitude has moved beyond homeowners and veterans...here are some other examples...

School forces teen to remove American flag from his bicycle on Veteran's Day
www.ksdk.com...

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo
www.foxnews.com...

So, after seeing these examples, what do you think about having to take down your flag? I realize that some will say that its only a piece of cloth, and that it means nothing, but yet it does. The flag is a representation of your country, and for someone who is a vet that has fought for those rights to be forced to take it down is a blatant attempt right infringement, in my opinion.

Also, it seems that some see that it is ok to fly a flag above an american flag, which is illegal here, and
with that said, I have to agree to what this man did...and he has all of my respect.....

edit on 3-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"I took this flag down for the honor of my country with a knife by the United States Army...[but i still cannot buy a decent haircut, nor do I have the civility to respect other nations especially in an area where I don't even live]"

Anyways, I respect what this man was doing. He was a vet, and wanted to hold up a flag for his dearly beloved, but the whole debacle could've easily been averted if he just put the flag in his home. Then again, was it really that bad to have your flag up on your property?
edit on 3-11-2011 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

I guess it's private property so they can make whatever rules they want. It bothers me how apartment complexes give you so little for so much money nowadays. You would think that your rent would entitle you to some kind of use of outside space. It doesn't though. You can't even change the oil in your vehicle in most places.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

This is, unfortunately, a growing trend across our nation.
Where my husband works if he has to drive my car there,
he has to remove my car magnets off my car.I have an
Israeli flag,G-d bless our troops and the 10 commandments.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I personally think that in America...we all should be able to hang the American flag...where we live.

He displayed the flag on appropriate days...and had done so in the past without any repercussions. Why now is he getting into trouble? I am thinking...someone in the current management at his apartment complex just does not like the guy and wants him to go.

Also...I am wondering...does it say specifically in his lease agreement...that he can't fly a flag?

People should be allowed to express their patriotism...and the fact that this is being discouraged....is very disturbing.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Im not seeing what the problem is here. It's like the people that live in home owners associations freaking out when they put up a flag or a sign in their yard that isn't allowed by the associations rules. You know that contract you sign when you move into an apartment? Try reading it before you sign it. If you don't agree with what it says bring it up to them or DON'T LIVE THERE.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rivetlikewhoa
Im not seeing what the problem is here. It's like the people that live in home owners associations freaking out when they put up a flag or a sign in their yard that isn't allowed by the associations rules. You know that contract you sign when you move into an apartment? Try reading it before you sign it. If you don't agree with what it says bring it up to them or DON'T LIVE THERE.

well, I can certainly see your point, but where do you draw the line? What if it gets to the point where all home owner associations and apartment complexes adopt this type of regulation? I agree that most people live in communities with HOA's by choice, but there are many that live in apartments because its what they can afford, so they really don't have a choice on where they live. Also, in my opinion, its not about following rules, its about protecting a symbol. This man has served to protect our rights as citizens, and in turn, it seems as his rights are being infringed upon. Its the principle of the matter.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

well, I can certainly see your point, but where do you draw the line? What if it gets to the point where all home owner associations and apartment complexes adopt this type of regulation? I agree that most people live in communities with HOA's by choice, but there are many that live in apartments because its what they can afford, so they really don't have a choice on where they live. Also, in my opinion, its not about following rules, its about protecting a symbol. This man has served to protect our rights as citizens, and in turn, it seems as his rights are being infringed upon. Its the principle of the matter.

I live in southern california, I have lived in apartments, I have lived in houses, I have lived in HOA's. No one is forcing you to live at that apartment complex. With the economy the way it is, there are open apartments everywhere with move-in deals and specials. All of them have different rules and regulations about what your allowed to do and what your not allowed to do. If you don't like the rules at one complex, move down the street to the next one.

Fighting with your landlord or management company over a symbol isn't going to end well for you. You agree'd to the rules and regulations when you signed that contract.

My dad is a vietnam vet and lives in a HOA, he can't display his flags in his front yard. He accepts that and he does other things to show his patriotism. Every friday he's out with his flag with my mother and other vets of various wars in downtown orange and display their pride in what they have fought for and remember the ones who died beside them fighting.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

I live in southern california, I have lived in apartments, I have lived in houses, I have lived in HOA's. No one is forcing you to live at that apartment complex. With the economy the way it is, there are open apartments everywhere with move-in deals and specials. All of them have different rules and regulations about what your allowed to do and what your not allowed to do. If you don't like the rules at one complex, move down the street to the next one.

Fighting with your landlord or management company over a symbol isn't going to end well for you. You agree'd to the rules and regulations when you signed that contract.

My dad is a vietnam vet and lives in a HOA, he can't display his flags in his front yard. He accepts that and he does other things to show his patriotism. Every friday he's out with his flag with my mother and other vets of various wars in downtown orange and display their pride in what they have fought for and remember the ones who died beside them fighting.

I agree with your point, I suppose if someone signs an agreement they have to respect it, but Im not sure that would be in the actual agreement or not. I am glad that your dad has found other ways to display their patriotism, and I thank you for sharing that. I suppose there are ways around it. It just bothers me that type of thing is becoming more widespread. Peace to you, and have a great day, my friend!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I suppose some people just never read the fine print.

contractual obligations and all.

but yeah

RABBLE RABBLE DEY TUUK EAR FLIGG!

an idea?

Vote with your dollar

Never EVER buy a home thats part of a homeonwers cult.
edit on 3-11-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think it's asinine not to be able to fly the flag on Flag Day. I also think it's silly to not use the flag pole because it had no pulley system. Sounds like he just wanted to dictate to the apartment owners to me.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Homeowners association should be illegal because they try to tread on people's rights.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well...I work in Property Management on a rather large community in Texas, and here's what it comes down to:

Fair Housing

The purpose of the federal Fair Housing Act, passed in 1968, was to prevent discrimination between tenants and landlords (of course, this also applied to sellers discriminating buyers).

There are plenty of reasons for an apartment community to ban flag waiving from, say, patios/porches. It can cause problems if, for instance, people take offense to certain flags (confederate, etc.). According to Fair Housing, management and representatives must be consistent in the way we deal with prospects and tenants. If a management company has an addendum in their contract stating all flag waiving from porches/patios/balconies is prohibited, they must enforce this policy consistently. Period.

And discrimination works both ways. Allowing this man to hang a flag when it's clearly against community policy would be considered a form of positive discrimination. And that, my friends, if a complaint is filed with HUD, investigated and evidenced upon, can lead to a lawsuit and money/jobs lost, not to mention that individual employees can be sued up to $10,000 per offense.

So, it's a fine line. People need to understand that certain rules, regardless of the situation, can't be bent/broken due to the possibility of a lawsuit.
edit on 3-11-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. Sounds like some wanna be corporate wank who couldn't get a C level position anywhere but the local apartment block is pushing the kids around in the sandpit (box for you guys!).

If anyone had the nerve to ask me to take down my Australian (I have a Maltese one too) flag they'd be pretty upset or intimidated by my response.

I say he leaves his flag up and at midnight on the 29th of November he throws a reunion bash for the local vets.

top topics

join