It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phones; Is it just me? Or do you find yourself exhibiting behavior you used to never to do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My cell is my only phone nowadays, like many of us.

I guess I’m a dinosaur as I find myself thinking that I never would have talked to anybody while sitting on a toilet. But I’ve done it plenty of times. Heck, I’ve even taken measures in the bathroom so it doesn’t give off that echo sound.

I've conducted job interviews dripping wet and neked...
Thank God they couldn't see me as they may be scarred for life.

I still won't text while driving, but will talk on the bluetooth. And refuse to talk/text on the phone while on a date. Unless it's a family emergency.

Any other oddities that we now think of as normal?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Does throwing it out of the window of a moving car down the interstate count?

I have several cell phones laying in a ditch in various places in my state.
In some ways, the cell phone is by far the worst invention ever.
edit on 3-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I dont have a phone, but phone owners annoy me when they are on a conversation and feel the need to talk loudly and stand next to you (even if they are strangers) or pace up and down in front of you, like its so important that you hear it all.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

I dont have a phone, but phone owners annoy me when they are on a conversation and feel the need to talk loudly and stand next to you (even if they are strangers) or pace up and down in front of you, like its so important that you hear it all.

Wow that is annoying. Especially when they get off the phone and the volume of their voice lowers. Drives me crazy, the microphones is right by your mouth! lol

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I am entirely respectful with my cell. To be honest, I use it more for the camera and texting my girlfriend than anything else. I often leave it at home or in the car when I go out. It's always on "silent" when I am in public. But, my most unique use of my cell phone is this:
I installed a 12v (cigarette lighter for us old-school folks) outlet on the handle bars of my motorcycle, attached velcro to both my phone and gas tank. I can use it as a GPS and keep my phone charged as well...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
no, i have a just a prepaid no frills phone, i hardly have it on me really, mainly if im drivin my car or goin somewhere for awhile, i hardly ever text, i feel its too impersonal and it takes up too much time.... the whole smart phone trend just annoys me, thats all i ever see is people buried in their amazing little handheld computers doin who knows what... but ya know, ive noticed that sometimes i'll keep my phone next to me when i sleep, when i do i'll get these really strange vivid dreams... its wierd.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

Yep, drives me bonkers as well. In my days in the Army I would take phones away from the Joes if they exhibited that kind of behaviour. Even threw some of them into the woods.

Recently I was at a red light waiting to merge onto the highway and I counted 13 of 15 cars were all on the phone. Two almost hit me. The other two of the 15 were probably on bluetooth.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I threw two phones in less than 24 hours during my last pre-deployment mobilization.

For some reason, the guys thought I had a temper problem.

I couldn't help myself. I'm allergic to stupid and had a reaction.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm in my late 20s and I still dont get the whole cellphone thing.
My friends are always telling me I should get one but I just dont see the point. I have home number that I give out to the ladies, thats all I need. I dont need them or anyone bugging me when I'm doing something that is none of their concern. And I dont wanna do the whole texting thing.

I prefer waiting till I get home to check my messages and emails, its like christmas every time I get home lol.

I did have a cell a long time ago though and I never liked it. People were always bothering me when I was out and obviously didn't want to be chilling with them at that time since I was with someone else and not with them.
Then there was the texting, someone would text me and then I would call them back because its not like I'm gonna stop what I'm doing to press a whole bunch of buttons just to get another message and then have to stop again and press more buttons..

The whole thing makes no sense to me unless you're running a business or in a line of work that requires instant communication on the job.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

One of my kids would not stop with the phone at the dinner table.

The phone looked a little overworked and thirsty, so I put it in their coke for a nice spritzy little bath.

I think I love destroying cell phones.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

One of my kids would not stop with the phone at the dinner table.

The phone looked a little overworked and thirsty, so I put it in their coke for a nice spritzy little bath.

I think I love destroying cell phones.

That's funny. I'm sure that the dinner conversation heated up after that.

I know I love destroying cell phones, but hate paying to replace them.

That's why I got a Mil-Spec phone. It has taken quite the beating.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

LOL, my boss' phone ended up in a golf course water hazard. Twice.

I get a kick out of my Voice mail to text converter. We have a few mumblers at work so I get some interesting translations. Last night I got a call about a jpeg error, translated as Jays Pecker..

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I got tired of talking. It took an action to get them to listen.
I do not understand which part of: No phones at the dinner table, they did not understand.
They do now, and I made them work to replace the phone.
Never been an issue since, I wish the rest of the world worked as easy as that.

Of course, I am waiting to hear what a cruel and mean person I am that I would treat my kids that way.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

The points about talking loudly and pacing, are these not traits of nervousness or uncomfortableness?
I hate talking on phones, (any phone) even more so in public. These people are probably not trying to rub anything in your face but are most likely worried about whats being said on the other end.
edit on 4-11-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I can't help but think something is being lost in this quest for more instant communication. The art of expression seems no longer fine-tuned as a whole, specifics dropped in favor of shorthand. I find my day to day interactions as a whole have lost their momentum. I got a cell phone last year, and now only have text messaging turned on, but as of yet I've seen no appreciable art in it. Perhaps too much "instant expression" of whatever is on the top of our heads before considering it for any time.

new topics

top topics

join