It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland and Police Clash Again, Barricade on Fire, Flashbangs and Gas Used

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Police and protesters supporting the Occupy Wall Street movement have clashed downtown following a day of peaceful protests throughout Oakland.

The confrontation began after protesters started a large bonfire in the middle of a downtown street. Dozens of police in riot gear moved in on hundreds of protesters as the flames leapt more than 15 feet in the air from several large metal and plastic trash bins that had been pushed together.

Police warned protesters to clear out before firing several rounds of tear gas and "flash bang" grenades to clear the area.

So far, the above article is the only one Ive been able to find, but RT has a journalist on the ground and has been tweeting updates and stuff.

rt.com...

6:30 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: Protesters occupied the building on this street, crowd built barricade

6:34 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov tweets that protesters are running down the street with a garbage dumpster to block off streets.

I believe the protesters built a barricade of trashcans between them and the police, and lit them on fire.

7:04 GMT: Riot police marching down on, explosion heard, Lucy Kafanov tweets. twitpic.com...

7: 09 GMT: Occupy Oakland protesters set barricade on fire. Batons are out but riot police holding formation for now. Mood is tense, RT’s Lucy Kafanov

7:16 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: Battle erupts on the streets of Oakland. Occupy Oakland protesters stand off with riot police on 16th and Telegraph Sts.

Im not sure what started this confrontation this time.

ETA - It seems that the police have pushed back most of the protesters, and the fire has been put out. It also seems that surrounding cities have sent their police to help out Oaklands police

7:31 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: Several riot officers jump into unmarked cars. One car has a sign reading: Hayward Police Department

edit on 3-11-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
As each day goes by, the protestors in Oakland seem to have forgotten what they were originally protesting and instead are just now heading towards full blown anarchy.

I support the OWS movement, but the people in Oakland need to be careful because who knows what the cops might do next.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Found videos on Ustream...

www.ustream.tv...

www.ustream.tv...

www.ustream.tv...

The guy in the 3rd stream is saying the police in riot gear have tape covering up their names/IDs.

edit on 3-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Those protesters are not there to build a bonfire. This isn't woodstock. They are there to protest peacefully.

IMO.... The protesters were asking for it. No sympathy here.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if we see this kind of behavior taking place all across the country in the following months.

People are just waiting for an opportunity to just lash out at the system, because everyone is fed up, frustrated etc...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

That guy was wearing a red t shirt with a hammer and sickle. That's the Russian communist icon you know.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Found videos on Ustream...

www.ustream.tv...

www.ustream.tv...

www.ustream.tv...

The guy in the 3rd stream is saying the police in riot gear have tape covering up their names/IDs.

edit on 3-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

watching it now...
guy is saying they are g oing to bust out the sound cannon... lol

which is actually just a loud speaker..

Everyone in the plaza is under arrest OPD says, Please Submit.
edit on 3-11-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

As each day goes by, the protestors in Oakland seem to have forgotten what they were originally protesting and instead are just now heading towards full blown anarchy.

I believe that anarchists are the main cause of the violence today.

In this video from earlier today, the people wearing black masks (anarchists) and such are trashing Whole Foods, while the majority of the protesters are trying to get them to stop.

The same anarchists trashed some bank windows today to.

Im guessing the people that decided to light the trash cans on fire and (problably) provoked the police right now are the same anarchists

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
From your first source.

The confrontation began after protesters started a large bonfire in the middle of a downtown street. Dozens of police in riot gear moved in on hundreds of protesters as the flames leapt more than 15 feet in the air from several large metal and plastic trash bins that had been pushed together.

They are there for the long haul, starting bonfires in the streets.

I hope the provocateurs aren't the ones starting this crap.

Believe me when it's time to burn everything down I will be right there with everyone, but that time isn't here yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

watching it now.

Same here.

Police just gave a 5 minute warning to vacate. Im guessing there will be another round of teargas and flashbangs in just a few minutes

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

guy is saying they are going to bust out the sound cannon... lol which is actually just a loud speaker..

I use to live near an avenue that had gweedos cruising up and down it all night blasting their car sound canons. Where are they now with their kickers and bazooka tubes to help the Occupy crowds fight fire with rap music?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The Oakland crowd seems to be the most active whether you want to consider that a good thing or a bad thing.

They have been up to a lot lately. Yesterday was a busy day for them.

Occupy Oakland protesters shut port, disrupt banks

OAKLAND, Calif. — Occupy Wall Street protesters declared victory after thousands of demonstrators shut down evening operations at one of the nation's busiest shipping ports late Wednesday, escalating a movement whose tactics had largely been limited to marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.

They are making a difference and TPTB will do anything possible to demonize them now including military style attacks.
edit on 3-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I have been watching the livestreams and the fires started after the riot police showed up and used flashbangs and teargas. The fire could hardly be called a bone fire, the one i seen anyway. They started the fire to help dispel the the teargas,
edit on 10/10/2011 by herecomesthesun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Looks like OPD is about to go into the camp and arrest anyone still there, even media.

rt.com...

8:04 GMT: Police are preparing to go inside the camp. Warn media that everyone in the camp will soon be arrested. Reports many police officers have no badges and have tape covering their names

reply to post by JibbyJedi

Watching the 3rd link, flashbang was thrown, and the guy is saying it exploded in someones face

ETA - it looks like the police just shot someone with a rubber bullet, and now they seem to be firing pepperballs at the camera man
edit on 3-11-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Have we all forgotten the protests against...what was it, G8 or Bilderberg up in Vancouver a year or two ago? (brb Googling.................) Nope, G20 in Toronto last summer. Remember the 'Black Block"?

That sort of hijinks only happens in banana republics like Canada. That could never happen here in America, right? right?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Order has been given to disperse..crowd is chanting "We are Scott Olsen". Let's see what goes down.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I'm watching the stream and one of the camera men is asking for a Droid X battery, and even gave his location. Two minutes charge left. Quick someone get this guy a charger!

Anyone have any idea how many people are still there, 2:40 am their time.

ETA: He found a charger but nowhere to plug it.

Not sure which stream everyone is watching but this one works great for me:

www.livestream.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
They seem to think that the police are watching the stream waiting for them to run out of battery.

I wonder how much it's costing the city to have this many cops in full riot gear just sitting around on their behinds.

I'm only guessing here but their body language indicates that they are fed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and shut things down soon.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
this is rather off topic, but well.....
what we've seen so far has been tame (on both sides) as to what was during the depression.....

www.prisonplanet.com...

there isn't much in california that represents 99% of america. even their republicans are further left than many dems in the rest of the country. so, I don't think that what is going on in oakland is really representative of the protesters elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I don't want to be a starter of rumors, but one of the camera men just said that he sees homeland security. I'm sure his testimony can be considered less than credible though.

Now they are back up with full battery power and ready to roam.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join