It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agressive(?) marketing of gold buyers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Just wondering if any of you people have noticed the same trend as I have. Here in Finland, during the last year or so, there has emerged (at least) three gold buying -companies which are targeting especially "normal" people, who are encouraged to bring all old golden jewelries for 'free evaluation and a very good price.' They seem to buy very big (and assumably expensive?), coloured full page adds from all the local (as well as national) newspapers almost weekly. They're organizing 'happenings' where you can come and 'get rid off your old, useless gold' to get 'the trip you have always wanted to make' or to buy 'that new TV you never could afford'. Today I just received from the mail a special add from one of the companies telling me how I could 'save the environment' buy selling my old gold, as 'gold mining is very bad for the environment'. The add tells how much carbon dioxide and 'poisonous chemicals' are used yearly to mine and process new gold etc. I found the add myself a little bit ridiculous. One of the firms even offered to make cheaper alloy replicas of your jewels/marriage rings in case you want to use this 'once in a lifetime opportunity'.. I would assume most (at least older) finnish people would find the idea a bit offensive. 'Hey darling, I just sold our marriage rings for a good price! But fear not, I've got this crappy copper thing instead, looks excactly the same, don't you think!?' .. (Not that I would personally care, I find the whole marriage thing and expensive rings silly.)

I was just wondering if it's only because of the good gold price in the markets or are some bigger companies perhaps preparing for a big financial collapse this way? All the companies which are marketing very agressively in here are foreign, so I would assume they're doing the same around the Europe - or globe. So fellows, how is the gold thing going on in other countries, any similar activities going on?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Trying to find money in anything. That is why these companies have sprung up, they create jobs and "opportunity." Nothing sinister here.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ive been noticing that too OP. the increasing ads of WE BUY GOLD!!! WE BUY GOLD!! BEST PRICES AROUND!!!
and i just think to myself its foolish how anyone would want to trade in their valuable gold for some high quality tissue paper. it just doesnt make sense. its like they wanna keep all the gold and serve us with more tissue paper.

IM NEVER SAVING WITH PAPER EVER. im going with gold

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
every other commercial here in Chicago is "We buy gold, sell your gold!", and in the more lower income neighborhoods have the gold buying store on almost every corner

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
every other commercial here in Chicago is "We buy gold, sell your gold!", and in the more lower income neighborhoods have the gold buying store on almost every corner

Weird. Has it been always like that, or just a new trend like here in Finland? We do have (and have always had) basic pawnshop type companies that buy every kind of precious metals, but this companies are after gold (and occasionally silver) only and as said, the marketing feels a bit agressive.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Trying to find money in anything. That is why these companies have sprung up, they create jobs and "opportunity." Nothing sinister here.

Well, preparing for an economic collapse is just a one of the possibilities. Could be just as you said, just gold diggers looking for some fast profit..

top topics

join