It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Vets Save War Memorial From OWS Desecration!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I was going to try and refrain from any more OWS threads, but this was actually such a good story I couldn't resist.

A friend of mine noticed that in a picture of the OWS camp in our local city that a Philippine war memorial "Company H" was being desecrated.. Instead of just pointing it out and being outraged by the disrespect... he and a friend took the initiative to march into the OWS camp and point out the desecration of a war memorial. Both of them being veterans, serving in the US Army. The protesters, if not a bit taken back, complied to their demands that they leave the war memorial alone (they were using it as an anchor and a place to rest a water cooler....)
(Sorry I don't know how to re-size the photos!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

So the protesters complied right? Just sounds like a simple mistake to me. This was handled well on both sides.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

Yes the protesters did comply.
BUT ... shouldn't have been an issue to begin with

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Many people are good people...but they just don't think first. They just do and say Opps afterward.

Good on the OWS crowd with complying to the wishes of these Vets.

It gives me hope. I may change my mind about the overall OWS movement again at some point if acts like this are commonplace.

Every cities OWS movement is different though. Some good mannered, some bad mannered.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Looks to me the memorial is made of stone, i doubt that rope and plastic is going to hurt it much. I am glad though your friend asked them to live it alone, and that they agreed. I too am a vet and have a lot of respect for memorial such as that one.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't really see the problem here... Yes they did disrespect the monument, but when informed of their mistake, was rectified... And by what I see in your pictures, they even placed a placard commemorating all the fallen... What is your beef with this? People make mistakes...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 001ggg100

The vets places the sign

I'm not saying there is an "issue" .. just that the OWS was disrespecting a war memorial, some vets went in and informed them, and placed a card requesting they leave it alone.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Well you downgraded your language from 'desecration' to 'disrespect'. So which is it? These words are far apart. Your title leads someone to think that vandalism occurred. Then we click on your post, and find out that 'desecration' consists of a 5 gallon water cooler on a flat surface, and a piece of rope tied around a non-movable post. And that is what passes for 'desecration'. Then after you get no love, you downgrade your language to 'disrespect'. As if it was intentional disrespect. Nice. You are either an attention whore with a misleading title, or someone trying to willfully mislead. Either is lame.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iamconcerned

No .... I did not?

Desecrate
www.merriam-webster.com...

: to violate the sanctity of : profane
: to treat disrespectfully, irreverently, or outrageously

Master the English language. It won't bite.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Definition of DESECRATE
transitive verb
: to violate the sanctity of : profane
: to treat disrespectfully, irreverently, or outrageously

Master full quotes next time, especially the first definition. The truth doesn't bite.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

BUT

Then you'd have nothing to complain about eh?

Sounds like win, win.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iamconcerned

While this is totally off topic, I have to point out the complete idiocy of your post because you quoted the exact same thing I did....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The idiocy is not understanding what 'to violate the sanctity of : profane' means. It means much more than the 2nd definition, which I pointed out to show you had conveniently left out the first. Hence the fist definition being given more weight, hence the number 1 instead of the number 2. Meaning that 1 is used more often. Or you could say we are both right, but I am slightly more right, but of course you aren't gracious enough for that.

edit on 2-11-2011 by iamconcerned because: shrug

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The Philippine War was nothing but a war of imperialism. We took the Philippines from the Spanish and instead of giving them independence (like we said we would) we crushed a rebellion for independence.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

yeah umm..... off topic much? eheh. (yes I realize it wasn't that off topic)

edit on 2-11-2011 by iamconcerned because: shrug

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

This is true. Blame the politicians and the military leaders. Don't blame the young soldiers who died a World away from all they knew fighting in a war they probably didn't even understand. Most US wars are wars of Imperialism.

Another war memorial, dedicated to the men killed in service in the Philippines, is found in Lownsdale Square. Fountain for Company H, installed in 1914, was donated by the mothers, sisters, and wives of Company H of the Second Oregon Volunteers.

www.portlandonline.com...

Does this mean we should desecrate war shrines?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is a very nice shrine, and it sustained zero damage from a water cooler placed on it and a piece of rope tied around the base. And of course you have to continue to use desecrate, because you live for inflammatory language. I'm positive the protesters didn't wish to inflict lasting damage on the shrine. And quite frankly I think the protesters are just tools, and here where I live they have degenerated into homeless campgrounds. So, as you can see, I mostly agree with you, but it doesn't excuse you trying to make something out of nothing. So basically the OWS movement is a 'deal with all these homeless people', which quite frankly some people need to see, so they can see the third world nation we have become.
edit on 2-11-2011 by iamconcerned because: spelling and #

top topics

join