It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida SWAT Shoots Homeless Man in the Face

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Dennis Gaydos, a homeless man from Palm Springs, was making his home outside of a church in the sunny Florida community without incident until a police intervention changed his life.

Gaydos says he was keeping to himself in his temporary home on the church grounds when the Palm Springs Police department SWAT team, dressed in full military garb, shot him multiple times with rubber bullets.

The close-range blast slashed off a portion of his right ear lobe and rendered his left eye a pulpy mess.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-11-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I read stories like this and wonder how the US could have degenerated into such a place that armed sadists with badges can operate with impunity while treating people so inhumanely.

I don't guess these POS thugs think anyone is ever going to finally say "I've had it" and take matters into their own hands to finally mete out the justice that has been denied the victims of this brutality.

The sands are slipping through the hourglass until somebody snaps. I'm guessing once this happens, a chain reaction will occur and the last thing you'd want to be is an individual wearing a badge.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
all i can say is....

"An eye for an eye" However, im sure that poor homeless man will be forgotten in less than a week.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Man, I really hate stories like this, but thanks for posting OP. I think it's important for every single case like this to be publicized.

According to this article, there seemed to be zero reason for SWAT to be involved either, let alone shoot him in the face? Especially since the church gave him permission to be there. Alleging he had a knife even though no knife was on him or found at the scene? And even if he had a knife in his hand, I saw no mention of claims of him threatening anyone with it. What a strange and horrible story.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
all i can say is....

"An eye for an eye" However, im sure that poor homeless man will be forgotten in less than a week.

the event happened 4 years ago dude - FFS try reading and comprehending!!

He's suing the officers & police dept....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ew "pulpy mess".

Gross.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
At least the perps cant take away his home
edit on 2-11-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Very old story with very little information. I'm surprised the SWAT team was running around with rubber bullets. I'm also surprised they went for headshots. Sounds... odd. In a situation like that it seems time would be a better tool then a gun, even one shooting rubber.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
A whole armed swat team deployed for ONE homeless person "wielding" a cell phone and "allegedly" a knife, with nobody around to threaten. WTH?

Okay so now if I happen to be out somewhere violating a curfew or some other minor offense while perhaps stranded by a broken down car, and I pull out my cell phone to call the auto club or my husband, the police can shoot me with rubber bullets or taze me for OMG, "wielding" a cell phone? Actually I shouldn't joke about that, something scary happened to me once when a policeman passing by in his cruiser seemed to think my mid 1990's big cell phone was some sort of suspicious object. At least I think that is what attracted his attention and hostile demeanor. He followed me but never stopped to talk to me so I'll never know. Getting back to the subject, why is it these days if the police overreact and hurt someone, they claim their victim was wielding various lame objects? Wasn't some old lady last year tazed for wielding her oxygen tubes or something? Don't they know how absurd their excuses sound?

I was raised with old fashioned values and taught to respect and honor the police. And I have, for most of my life, for it is a difficult job that they have and many of them still do this job honorably and selflessly. But too often these days I see them acting as cogs in very poorly thought out and run organizations. They've had their focus directed in all the wrong places in all the wrong ways. I'm thinking in particular of the quotas they have to meet that give them an incentive to make up crime where no true crime exists, and overlooking opportunities to prevent real crime. And then there are these hyped up commando types that are all pumped up to overreact and overreach their authority.
edit on 2-11-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Fixing iPad errors

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Just one more example of law enforcement officials in Florida, whether municipal, county or state, acting in a manner which illustrates that many of them think that they are "above the law".

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think these rubber bullets are a little bit too powerful. If they can do that gruesome stuff that's describe, they should probably stick with tazers for now. Potentially disfiguring people for live and even shooting their eye out versus making them cramp up for 30 seconds and get electrocuted temporarily....

They need to get rid of those weapons. Maybe a slingshot with a beanbag at best lol, but those rubber bullets can really screw people up.

top topics

join