It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs of ageing halted in the lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The onset of wrinkles, muscle wasting and cataracts has been delayed and even eliminated in mice, say researchers in the US. The treatment had no effect on lifespan, but that may be due to the type of genetically engineered mouse used

It was done by "flushing out" retired cells that had stopped dividing. They accumulate naturally with age.

The scientists believe their findings could eventually "really have an impact" in the care of the elderly.

Source

They only briefly mention that the treatment to induce the "flushing out of retired cells" was in fact a drug.

Nature/Article Preview

Cellular senescence, which halts the proliferation of damaged or dysfunctional cells, is an important mechanism to constrain the malignant progression of tumour cells

we made use of a biomarker for senescence, p16Ink4a, to design a novel transgene, INK-ATTAC, for inducible elimination of p16Ink4a-positive senescent cells upon administration of a drug.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thats not the best news.... we'll still die.
At least we'll look fantastic!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
They're gonna find the tree of life yet.

Or not.

Yay, my first prediction!

(if they do, god's gonna pull up in his Intergalactic Escalade and blow us all to hesmithereens)

Alright, this is fun!

But, seriously, nice find op, star n flag for you..

So, this would maybe be a cure all for cancer or what other effects?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I must say, I didn't know mice had to worry about wrinkles.

2nd.
edit on 2-11-2011 by princessgrey because: edit, yo.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by princessgrey

This same protein produced by the gene is known to be important in humans for suppressing tumor growth.

top topics

join