It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Live Blog: Agitators try to smash up Whole Foods, but crowd prevents them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
insidebayarea.com

As marchers approached the Whole Foods Market near Lake Merritt, a small group of people in black infiltrated the group, smashing the windows and throwing paint at the store.

Other demonstrators who had marched to Whole Foods enveloped the agitators, forcing them to stop. Fist-fights broke out. No one went inside; the store closed before the crowd arrived.

After the incident, the crowd continued to move down Grand Avenue. Protesters

on Twitter appear to be trying to find the people responsible for the vandalism.

Looks like things didn't go as peacefully as hoped but I'm happy that the protesters did the best they could to stop provocateurs.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I hope your talk of this in the past tense as something that has passed is accurate. I'm not expecting things to even get rolling in Oakland for meaningful things to watch until 8-9pm California time... That ought to be when the crazies, drunks and addicts are about at their max and mixing in with the crowd to bring mayhem to the night. I hope you're right though, and things get more peaceful, not less so, as the evening progresses.

An additional thought on this is that core OWS members aren't even who I'm worried about or referring to regarding drunks and addicts... I'm thinking this day and night as a potential flash point as been talked about far enough in advance to attract the types who would look to make a fight out of it, despite efforts to the contrary.

Here is hoping for a meaningful but peaceful night.

edit on 2-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added thought...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Would`nt surprise me if it was under cover police. As we have seen in the past, its one of their tactics. Im glad the crowd stopped them from ruining the march.
edit on 2-11-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm praying everyone remains peaceful, but I don't have high hopes. There are too many street people and opportunists infiltrated in with the actual protesters. Also, Oakland is not known for it's calm and serene environment.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That ought to be when the crazies, drunks and addicts are about at their max and mixing in with the crowd to bring mayhem to the night

wow seriously buddy, whats your point, only crazies join the OWS

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty
Would`nt surprise me if it was under cover police. As we have seen in the past, its one of their tactics. Im glad the crowd stopped them from ruining the march.
edit on 2-11-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

It wouldn't surprise me if they were anarchists either.

Their actions and outfit fits their MO.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GodefroydeBouillon

And..you've spent how much time visiting which camp to come to that conclusion? I don't have any problem with people against the OWS movement, but at least spend a little time in person and not just drawing from online and MSM news sources.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Lol and how many did you visit lol, the world isint full of crazys, its full of inteligent people trying to do the right thing, but i guess you know better right.

I myself canot join in the protest, i live way too far from any big town, and i do have to work,m and a family to raise...

It dosent mean i dont know anybody thats participating, and i dont have a clue how the world works...

But again thanks for twelling us how things really are

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Lol spewing the same crap on every thread you can find...good on you

bah bah bah

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This action reminds me of the vancouver riots, people felt so ashamed at what a few did, they showed the next few days, cleaning up the mess the rioters did...

this shows how the many do not follow the few

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GodefroydeBouillon

I expect that's what will happen tomorrow, the protesters will help clean up.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Something smells here and it is not the OWS people, thanks to the OP for the heads up on this one.
I believe somebody is stirring the pot here and we all know whom might be responsible for this one.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Not necessary police or secret services. You could also have opportunistic people, just going wherever they can steal something or even worse enjoying trouble. Decades of Hollywood education where kids are told they deserve to have everything without doing anything makes the greed of some people as bad as the banskters . Maybe people can learn from the London Riots this summer..

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They should have done a citizen's arrest on the agitators.

Them everyone would have known just who they were and if they were cops.

It also would have shown the cops that there were outside agitators causing problems if they were not cops.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodefroydeBouillon

Lol and how many did you visit lol, the world isint full of crazys, its full of inteligent people trying to do the right thing, but i guess you know better right.

I myself canot join in the protest, i live way too far from any big town, and i do have to work,m and a family to raise...

It dosent mean i dont know anybody thats participating, and i dont have a clue how the world works...

But again thanks for twelling us how things really are

I didn't go on a tour or anything, but did spend a week in one as a 24/7 resident...So I do feel that I have some personal experience to base my opinions on in general terms. The ones I see paint the OWS members with board brushes of terms and characterizations are, without fail, people who have never actually been at one of the protests for even a few minutes, let alone any real time.

The problem with that whole approach is that OWS is too complex and running at too many levels at the same time, across the entire world right now to use any one or even few terms to even describe a fair % of those participating.

I'm hardly in the cheering section for OWS anymore....but accuracy in at least basic terms ought to be a small thing to see.....and so hard to find right now.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

That ought to be when the crazies, drunks and addicts are about at their max and mixing in with the crowd to bring mayhem to the night

Sorry and your not painting an image of what lol, seriously you seem to forget what you wrote lol

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well OWS Oakland has taken the Port of Oakland. They have shut it down and the police and other city officials are saying it will not open again until the OWS crowd lets it.

Live aerial shot from ABC news.
abclocal.go.com...

Heres ABC news twitter that is talking about the difrent events today.
twitter.com...#!/abc7newsbayarea

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodefroydeBouillon

Sorry and your not painting an image of what lol, seriously you seem to forget what you wrote lol

Of course, you simply forgot or hit the wrong button on this post where it should have included the additional thought below the part you quote:

An additional thought on this is that core OWS members aren't even who I'm worried about or referring to regarding drunks and addicts... I'm thinking this day and night as a potential flash point as been talked about far enough in advance to attract the types who would look to make a fight out of it, despite efforts to the contrary.

That thought was added a few minutes after the body you quoted out of and long before the post you're quoting in. Therefore, I must naturally assume you simply missed that..and wouldn't actually be cherry picking a sentence out of the context my added note so clearly placed it.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
every MAJOR corporation who OVERCHARGES with insane margins is a possible OCCUPY Corporation

100, 300, 500% margins is what MANY WALL ST Public Companies charge you to "use their brand"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yes. More and more violence is coming out of the protestors. Hopefully, they will be removed soon. Then people can continue on with their lives

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join