It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Proposal to Take Back Our Country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There are those that openly ridicule the mere idea of voting. 'They're all the same', 'It won't make a difference', etc. are the common excuses. The problem is, that is the last bastion of our country and unless we are already prepared to flush the entire thing we need to do something about getting this country back on-track.

Recently, we have seen several cases of sixties-esque 'people power' in action: The recent backing-down of BoA over the debit card fee that just last week they said was a sure thing; the admirable dedication of the various OWS demonstrations; the upcoming move-your-money protest; the various international uprisings over government corruption and inequities. The sentiment for real, fundamental change is there but the question remains, how?

OWS has gotten alot of flak for not having a cohesive 'plan'. That's not the intent. The protests are demanding that our government do their job and fix the corruption, malfeasance and cozy special treatment of big business and monied elite that punch their collective meal ticket. Of course, government knows on what side their bread is buttered and is hoping winter will remove the thorn in their side known as OWS. They tried to ignore it and are now trying to wait it out.

I believe --- and I'm hardly alone --- that the root of the problem lies in the nature of representation. Politicians and Congress are by-and-large millionaires. They identify with the elite to whom they coddle and have a real problem understanding the needs and interests of the rest of us --- the 99% if you will. It comes out in their actions and the things they say all the time. Obama tells us to take fewer vacations and not eat out as much. Pelosi says the poor should have fewer children. Cain says get a job. And so on. It's the 'Let them eat cake' syndrome. They are simply detached and clueless. And all the political discourse here on ATS is arguing over which of the next crop of millionaires do we put in charge next time. And somehow this is going to change anything?

So, I propose a different tack. I say we make it known to TPTB that we will not vote for any candidate that does not share our experience. I'm not saying we elect some underqualified 'Joe the Plumber' type (it does take some skills to run a government --- another reason to change the way we do things in case you haven't noticed). Instead, let's make it known that we will ONLY vote for people whose income falls within 15% of the median household income --- about $39,000 to $52,000 per year. The candidate must hold at least a BS, preferably an advanced degree, in political science, economics, finance, engineering, agriculture, or a similarly related field. And we want to see proof.

It's far from perfect. I doubt there is a perfect solution. But we need to end the age of professional politics and the industry of lobbying, special interests, campaigning, etc. that has grown up around it. If we are, as we keep saying, a democratic republic then we need to return the country to exactly that. We can force this change. People far less equipped than us have done it right before our eyes. In my view, either we get the country back on-track or there is a very good likelihood that things are not going to end well for us.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Joe the Plumber falls within your guidelines...just sayin'. And it is his right as a citizen to run for office. Who knows, maybe he has common sense and will not be compromised.

But the OWS is like a moth to a light bulb. They are to focused on one thing...Wall Street. They need to camped out across from Congress and their representatives offices in their home state as well.

Until they do that...I cannot support them.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

You raise some good points. I have been thinking about the "How?" lately as well. As you point out, we all know that it doesn't matter where the vote goes, it just ends end up as more of the same and nothing changes for the 99% except in a worse way, more restrictuve laws, more taxes etc.

There's nothing wrong with the Joe the Plumber argument but Here's why I think Joe the Plumber would not make it as far as president.

Joe cannot finance the several hundred million dollar circus they call The Presidential Trail. (If thats the right name for it)
Joe does not have media owning friends to rely on.
Joe will have his past trawled by various departments and smeared for his past actions. Speeding tickets, sex life, personal habits, alcohol/drug use, etc, etc. (Yes I know Bill and Obama both admitted to the same, jokingly, but they seemed to get away with it. I think Bill said he didn't inhale and Obama admitted he did. Different strokes for different folks?)
Joe's family will also suffer the same treatment in a bid to show Joe out to be nothing but a loser.
Joe might never get a job plumbing again.

I thought about the formation of a new party but wouldn't that eventually just become the same as all the other ones? We need honest people I think, more than anything else and people with power and influence tend to use that to ensure they keep it.

I just don't know anymore...

PS In response to one of your last comments, the solution doesn't need to be perfect, just better than what we have now. I'm sure we can all agree that attaining something that is better than what we have now will not be very hard.

edit on 2/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: A

edit on 2/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added a PS and corrected edit reason

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If they were demanding anything from government they would be protesting in state capitals and DC. They're not. Bless their hearts for using their right to protest, but if they have a problem with government, maybe that's what they should be protesting. Wall street isn't going to change/enforce the laws, nor can they.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I agree....all we do is recycle idiots who work for the banks and wallstreet...regardless of their pretty, campaign speeches....your idea of a college degree is a good one....and it is the consolidation of this and other great ideas that OWS brings us....the naysayers should be ashamed to call themselves AMERICANS!....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

they're just getting started....our American Spring will make the Arab Spring pale in comparison....

top topics

join