It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous vs. Zetas: is #OpCartel a flop, hoax, or honeypot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Anonymous vs. Zetas: is #OpCartel a flop, hoax, or honeypot?

boingboing.net

Over the last few days, word has spread of a purported #antisec operation by Anonymous against the most brutal of all Mexican drug cartels, Los Zetas. What was unusual about the way this story spread, however, was the speed at which it was amplified by credulous reports from larger media outlets. This op got lots of press, fast. Faster, in fact, than it got support from Anons.

Geraldine Juarez and Renata Avila were two of the earlier voices I read expressing doubt about the prevailing storyline
(visit the link for the full news article)

additional link

edit on 2-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The original 'threat video' was posted by MrAnonymousguyfawkes on Oct 6, 2011 while the english mirror was only uploaded a few days ago by someone else.

From GlobalVoicesOnline :

Hours after the news of the video started to spread, reports of a hacked page also appeared. The site in question was www.gustavorosario.com [es], but Anonymous Mexico published a communique on Facebook denying their involvement

"Dear Followers of this page. Through this medium Anonymous Mexico denies all responsibility about the news of the hacking of one page allegedly related to a cartel. [..] Our fight is not of this kind and our ideals are not in tune with that operation. The note published in many electronic media is completely false. We ask for your support in distributing this communique."

From Oct 29th :

Internationally, Chron.com first published an article by the Houston Chronicle on Saturday, October 29, with mostly the same information, but also recognizing that:

The person reportedly kidnapped is not named, and the video does not share information about the kidnapping other than that it occurred in the Mexican state of Veracruz during a street protest.

From Wired Oct 31:

But there’s some nagging problems with the video that proposes the op.

It makes claims about a kidnapping, but has no clear details. It claims the victim of the kidnapping had been part of a paperstorm op — meaning an action where posters are plastered around an area — but, there’s no link anywhere that shows that happened. Most troublesome of all, the Mexican Anons seem to want nothing to do with it

From Milieno Nov 2 :

Today, Mexican newspaper Miliano published an article announcing that Anonymous' #OpCartel was cancelled. The piece contains an interview with some alleged members of Anonymous Mexico who declared:

Other operations are in progress, but for the moment we hope it is clear that OpCartel is false.

It seems that Anon has been denying this OP right from day 1 the whole #OpCartel has mostly been fueled by the main stream media , outlets worldwide like The Guardian, Gawker, Wired, Salon and The Telegraph reproduced the news containing dubious information, which has unfortunately already spread.

I find it strange that no one was even bothered trying to find out who this unnamed 'Anon member' was in the first place. Until we know better we dont even know if he exists and the kidnapping happened. I know everyone wants to see a big showdown between Anon and the drug cartels but it look like this is a big non-event fueled by the MSM.

boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I think it's more a case of the Anonykids biting off way more than they could chew, and now they're bricking it. Hence the desperate attempts to distance themselves from the imaginary ''war'' which they declared on the cartels, and bending over backwards to try and convince everyone that they weren't responsible for that hack.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I would say that it is a very ill considered move on the part of anonymous. Good luck to them and all but why make yourself a target for the cartels? They clearly have links everywhere and cash to burn so its not like you can run once they find out who you are.

I see this playing out with the cartels kidnapping more hackers so they can find out stuff about anonymous - hack the hackers if you like

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If the Zetas actually DID grab oneof them you can rest assured the little piggy squeeled during the inevitable torture about his friends. People seem to be drunk with pseudo-power over the supposed importance of the internet and it's supposed "power". Zetas deal in RL, with real bullets, knives and bombs. Even if they had carried out this "expose" the first one of thier contacts or middlemen that was apprehended, the Zetas would have killed a bunch of people or blown up a police station to put the locals back in line. Then rest assure the local ISP's would be targeted. Anon could NEVER win against the Zetas and it is foolish to even float the idea. This does smell like some people bit off more than they can chew.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Exactly. I would also say though it isn't in the Zetas interests to go to war with Anonymous as they could prove to be a severe fly in the ointment (short term).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Zetas had actually already dealt with this by randomly visiting some anonymous hackers from Mexico and basically saying "Look how easy that was to find you. Now behave - we will not be nice next time"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the Cartel has their own hackers, and if they didn't they certainly have enough money and connections to find some and put them to work for them.

The skilled anons hiding behind 6 or 7 proxies would be hard to find. but the unskilled anons who don't really know what they're doing could be quickly targeted and regret their involvement.

In a battle between electrons through a network, and real bullets, the real bullets win.
edit on 2-11-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

whether this is fake or not. Los Zetas aren't like our governments. they don't need secrecy to hide their intentions. people know who runs them.

like a poster posted before me. they deal IRL. even if this were real they would just laugh about this. hell i doubt they even have computers to hack into. it's a drug cartel not a corrupt government/corporation.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by stuncrazy

In this day and age and with the huge amounts of cash that they have to launder, i would be amazed if they didn't have hackers working for them to some degree

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I am sure they can hire a few with the billions they launder in drugs/arms deals.

This sticks of imaginary psyop sock puppetry.

top topics

join