It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Abductions May Be Vivid Dreams, Study Shows.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Don't Shoot the Messenger!

Researchers say they have conducted "the first experiment to ever prove that close encounters with UFOs and extraterrestrials are a product of the human mind."

In a sleep study by the Out-Of-Body Experience Research Center in Los Angeles, 20 volunteers were instructed to perform a series of mental steps upon waking up or becoming lucid during the night that might lead them to have out-of-body experiences culminating in encounters with aliens.

Article Link

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Wed Nov 2 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I don't quite understand, from the sounds of things its like they were putting the ideas of aliens into there heads? All that does is prove the power of suggestion, I don't doubt that plenty of experiences people have had could be explained by this,

But this

If he could coach people to dream a realistic alien encounter, he said, that could prove that reports of such encounters are really just a product of our imaginations.

I don't see the connection. How does the power of suggestion prove that?

People could be coached into believing just about anything, I don't personally believe in the afterlife but I admit its possible. People have plenty of afterlife experiences when they have near death experiences. If we could put those experiences into peoples minds would it prove that there is zero validity to any of those experiences? I don't think so.

Its an interesting study, I just feel the claim is a bit bold.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think that a lot of people who believe they have had an alien abduction experience were in fact dreaming.. but I believe there are some people who really are abducted.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MCJustJ

Yeah, I didn't find any of his findings conclusive of anything other than suggestion either. I don't think he proved anything.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This was posted last week with exactly the same title www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
excellent find

i didn't knew someone is experimenting this direction.

I can just state that i managed to get aware i'm just dreaming when i had this sort of event too.
i remembered what i did before, and what i clued around on while trying to fall asleep.
I woke up soon after 'being abducted' and i was VERY aware it was just a dream

nice someone starts examinig in this direction.
i'm sure this is it .. i'm VERY sure, due to personal experience

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
McJust nailed it I think. Not only that, but the study of metaphysics in an historical context suggests that 'inner experiences' don't necessarily negate the reality of the experience itself.

I haven't finished the following book yet, but I'm finding it relevant to the topic and fascinating so far and feel other's here might too.

Cracks in the Great Wall by Charles Upton

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
After reading the first sentence, that was enough for me even if the headline wasn't.

So I was dreaming when i was driving down a dark country road when I lost over two hours that October night many decades ago? I don't think so.

This study only proves what they wanted it to prove, very similar to the tactic used with the old, so-called Condon Report that Sagan work on. Unwittingly or not, they played their agenda out to be exactly what they wanted.

You don't think they would have accepted any real evidence of abductions do you? After all, what would that finding bring about?

One recourse is to suspect that the hidden agenda of the whole study was indeed to come to the conventional conclusion of governmental authorities, but was also intended to start an arguemental dialogue about the study's validity. Or converse, they are simply out to squash abduction stories across the board given that era seems to have faded. Oh, the games they and the ETs play with us, the subjects.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Alien abductions are dreams, but not as described here. They are actually deep-seeded flashback dreams stemming from early life (first year). Babies see things in a blurry manner, and their eyes are more sensitive to light (why mommy looks like a grey bathed in light and why daddy looks like a reptilian). Babies are typically carried into the room/to the changing table habitually, which is what causes the memories to stick (the repetition).

Lifted up and taken == picked up by mom and dad
Feelings of anxiety/fear == emotions experienced during that period of life during changings
Anal probing == butt paste/A+D ointment

You're welcome!

edit on 11/1/2011 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
This was posted last week with exactly the same title www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

It's a clone! hahha

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I know for a fact that some people really are abducted, because I have a close friend that I have known since childhood who has been taken by them many times and left with injuries and physiological alterations that her doctors could not explain... And then there is also her testimony to me backing up the other things... Quite alarming when it happens to someone you know..

It always makes me laugh to hear these studies being done and just because the theory is definitely plausable, they feel that it's plausability makes it the true answer.. I suppose it's a natural instinct to do that when faced with something so inexplicable as alien abductions..because no one has an answer that can make it stop or go away...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I got the feeling the researcher wasn't really interested in the abduction experience, rather more interested in illiciting an alien abduction experience through suggestion. I question the motives of the study.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I agree. I think some experiences may be dreams, while other experiences may be real. I think some people may be suffering from mental disease and abduction fantasies.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Interesting theory!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I just read a quick synopsis of the book...sounds fascinating.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I wrote an article on this a few years ago ... i cant access it now due the the drugs forums being down on this site

Please read everything before commenting

I see a lot of people on these forums talking about being abducted by aliens and such, but most of you do not understand what is actually happening when you think you are being physically abducted, the real truth is that physically your still in your bed fast asleep. I will explain more below:

Dimethyltryptamine

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine ('___') is a naturally occurring hallucinogenic drug of the tryptamine family. This drug is found not only in many plants, but also in trace amounts in the human body, where its natural function remains undetermined. Structurally, it is analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and other hallucinogenic tryptamines such as 5-MeO-'___', bufotenin (5-OH-'___'), and psilocin (4-HO-'___'). '___' is created in small amounts by the human body during normal metabolism by the enzyme tryptamine-N-methyltransferase. Many cultures, indigenous and modern, ingest '___' as a psychedelic, in either extracted or synthesized forms.

Dimethyltryptamine ('___' for short) is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter similar in structure to serotonin.It is created in trace amounts by the pineal gland during normal metabolism, and may be released in massive amounts during birth, death, hallucinations and dreams.

This psychedelic drug is found in many plants used by South American shamans. It is also used in certain religious practices, presumably for its ability to induce divine insights, visions and feelings of euphoria. Strassman's studies have even linked high doses of '___' with the perception of alien entities from alternate realities.

Analysis of the alien abduction story suggests that the sequence of events is comparable to some experiences of the shamanic spirit world as revealed by '___', a hallucinogenic drug. In the trance state, some people see beings similar to those reported by abductees. Therefore, it is possible that abductees involuntarily manufacture excessive endogenous '___', which then opens the door to the spirit world. Further, the physical evidence associated with some abductions suggests that happenings in the spirit world can manifest in the physical world. Finally, since the alien abductors appear in the '___' visions, they are inhabitants of the spirit world and likely are not directly responsible for the UFOs seen in the physical world.

In a study done by Dr. Rick Strassman, he found that while people were under the influence of '___' (Dimethyltryptamine) would experience alien abductions with the "greys" where they would talk to them and get taken into space ships and be given knowledge, but the thing is all they were doing is tripping out on '___' while still under observation in the hospital bed.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

There is pretty much countless videos of or about '___' all over the net if you want to research this further. (I wasn't going to add any videos to this article but I thought I better give you guys a break from the wall of text for a bit hehe)

More interviews here thespiritmolecule.com...

Dr. Rick Strassman and '___' (Dimethyltryptamine)

Between 1990 and 1995, Dr Rick Strassman studied the effects of this extremely short-acting yet intense psychoactive compound using human test subjects. The research generated a wealth of biological and psychological data, much of which was published in scientific journals. So Strassman decided to publish individual accounts from the human volunteers in his book, The Spirit Molecule.

His '___' experiments shone a whole new light on unexplained phenomena such as alien abductions. Strassman even reproduced mystical and religious experiences with the psychedelic drug. Skeptics can say, then, that this drug is merely a hallucinogen. It makes you see things that aren't there. And it explains thousands of historical accounts of paranormal phenomena at one fell swoop.

On the other hand, the experiments provided new and startling information. Volunteers described bizarre visions of alien life forms - even subjects that wanted and fully expected to see angels and fairies saw other-worldly beings. It provokes the question: is '___' like a door to an alternate reality? Does it facilitate lucid dreams, the out-of-body state and glimpses into other dimensions?

THE ABDUCTIONS

The Type A abduction (no physical evidence)

Floating through walls does not happen in normal physical reality, and a medical procedure during a dream does not leave physical aftereffects. Yet, both phenomena are said to occur during some abductions. What kind of reality can accommodate these seemingly impossible events?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The Type A abduction by itself might be attributable to a vivid dream if it were not for the fact that so many people appear to have had the same basic experience. The explanation quickly expands to include the Jungian concept of the collective unconscious, the source of archetypal imagery appearing in different people's dreams. Consistent with this idea is a more active description of reality that comes primarily from shamanic traditions practiced for thousands of years in many places around the world. For a shaman, reality consists of the physical world we know, as well as a spirit domain accessible via altered states of consciousness. Surprisingly, the imagery of the abduction experience is not unique in that it appears in this spirit world as well.

Several books have been written describing this more comprehensive understanding of reality. Of particular interest is Graham Hancock’s book, Supernatural, David Pinchbeck’s book, Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism, and Rick Strassman’s book, '___': The Spirit Molecule. These authors describe drug-induced altered states where powerful archetypal imagery exists in a world far removed from normal reality. Strange beings are encountered with the ability to behave independently of the experiencer. The experiences are said to be as real as any in the physical world, and range from fearful violence to the mystical.

Strassman describes medical research into the effects of dimethyltryptamine ('___'), a fast-acting, endogenous psychedelic molecule. The subjective experiences of his research volunteers are related in detail in his book. Strassman emphasizes the importance of “set and setting” on the subjective effects of the drug. Nearly all volunteers commented on powerful vibrations or pulses of energy accompanying the onset of the drug, followed by a loss of body awareness and time perception. One type of experience was floating or flying through exotic spaces, a feeling of oneness with the universe and of love, joy, and acceptance. Another volunteer found himself on an operating room table with tubes attached to his body, but there were positive feelings toward humans in the room. Another found himself accompanied by a vaguely humanoid being who was interested in him and his fear. Another was surrounded by insectoid beings who consumed his feelings of love and surrender. Strassman commented on the strong similarity between '___' session reports and the scenarios reported by alien abductees.

'___' is also a component of potions used by indigenous peoples in some parts of the world to induce altered states of consciousness. Hancock and Pinchbeck describe their own personal journeys into the spirit world after drinking such potions. According to Hancock, an experienced shaman is master of all he encounters in the spirit world. He will have his own “spirit animals” who act as his guide and protector, and assist him in achieving his desired objectives. It appears that proper assistance in the spirit world can improve the quality of the experience.

With a sufficiently high dose of the potion, the typical user is propelled rapidly into a world of stunning visual effects followed by interactions with various strange beings. Hancock describes some as reptilian in appearance, while some are half human and half animal. Beings were encountered who dismembered the body and put it back together again with some alterations. Or, the body was impaled by sharp objects. Pinchbeck describes entities as “porcupine-quilled, tusked, multi-tongued, amoebic, but even those words are only approximations of entities”. Of particular interest to us, a few of the beings encountered by both Hancock and some of Strassman’s volunteers closely resemble the aliens described by abductees. Hancock’s interactions with these beings suggested the possibility of imminent abduction into a metal spaceship much like a flying saucer. He describes one entity as an insect-like humanoid with a heart shaped face and slits for a nose and a mouth. The entity is accompanied by several smaller, less intelligent beings. Besides the similarity to the alien abducters, the seeming hierarchical social structure is typical of that observed during the abductions.

The '___' experience and the Type A abduction experience seem to have a number of elements in common. Perhaps the Type A abduction is a direct result of excess '___' release. '___' is an endogenous chemical and, according to Strassman, is part of the chemistry of the pineal gland situated just below the brain. It is conceivable that, under certain conditions, '___' production is accelerated and it is released into the brain environment. The result could be an abduction experience in the spirit world involving some of the beings described by Hancock and others. John Mack, a psychiatrist who studied the abduction phenomenon, learned that many abductions from people's homes take place in the early morning hours. Strassman notes that this is when the pineal gland is most active. Perhaps early morning '___' production facilitates alien encounters in predisposed individuals.

The Type B abduction (physical evidence, nicks, cuts, bruises)

The concept of experiencing a separate spirit world by the appropriate adjustment of brain chemistry seems sufficient to explain the Type A abduction experience. So far, we have assumed that the physical or its proxy intrudes into the spirit world, and that the elements of the spirit world return no further into the physical world than the impact on the viewer’s memory. Is it possible to extend this concept to also account for the additional effects that define the Type B abduction experience? In particular, could the physical aftereffects of the medical procedures be caused by the events experienced in the spirit world? Also, could it be possible to experience events in the spirit world jointly with another person?

According to Pinchbeck and Hancock, the spirit world is a place where new things can be learned. Further, it appears to be a reality where different people can simultaneously experience the same thing. For example, Pinchbeck entered this space with the assistance of a shaman and two elders, and felt the company of the others. Two of his acquaintances shared a vision of being observed by a small owl. Three others watched dolphins swimming. Therefore, if the abduction experience also occurs in the spirit world, two people abducted together should be able to independently describe the same events afterwards.

Pinchbeck believes that activity in the spirit world can directly impact the physical world. He gives the example of a shaman emerging from a long trance holding a new seed or plant needed for healing others. This suggests that consciousness operating in the spirit world can cause changes in the physical world. In his words, “The energy of conscious or unconscious beliefs and the willpower of human beings may create actual physical manifestations that take on a level of independence from any individual consciousness”. Therefore, we should allow for the possibility that the abductees’ implants and nicks on the skin are side effects of the activities in the spirit world. That is, they may emerge into the physical world prior to the return to a normal state of consciousness.

Also we cannot rule out the fact that some physical evidence is just the result of a rough sleep during one of these experiences.

Thank you for your time and please consider this information if you ever have this kind of experience.

www.esoterictube.com...
edit on 1/11/11 by King Loki because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by Drezden

I agree. I think some experiences may be dreams, while other experiences may be real. I think some people may be suffering from mental disease and abduction fantasies.

Thats what some will think...But unless you have been there you wouldn't understand

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Without going into too many stories here, I am convinced from experiences with my wife and I, that many abductions if that is what you choose to call it, do in fact happen in the astral plane or another dimension, while the body remains sleeping.

After some conversation with my wife, whom came back awake one night, afraid and confused, fully aware the others were there waiting for her to go back to sleep, I reminded her that using her lungs to scream as she explained to me, would not work in the astral. Her reply was, "oh, I forgot". Many of my experiences are in another level, but not dreams, yet would be explained as such by an observer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join